Flyer's Sea Hurricane Mk 1B

I've ran out of time Andy; the glass has now cured, but I've not had a chance to prime it before packing car for tomorrow's trek. Not sure if I'll throw it in, as it still needs a lot to finish. And I'm not convinced I've made the fillets between the fuselage and wing correct either.

So. I've decided that I'd rather finish it properly than not at all, so will have it ready by October's PSSA meet.

Tonight I'm going to check the A4 over and possibly the F15, so will have something to chuck off a cliff this weekend!

cheers

Ade

• 1 month later...
Posted by Andy Meade on 10/10/2018 14:32:08:

How's the Hurricane Ade - will she be ready for the weekend?

Won't be ready for the weekend I'm afraid; just about finished the construction element. I need to fix the radiator's magnets and the cockpit floor. I am not rushing it now, as I missed the September mass launch; I am just making sure I do the best job I can with it. I was not happy with the wing fillets, so have redone those.

I will be fixing the tailplane tonight, so hopefully be starting painting tomorrow. Outside chance that it would be finished for Sunday, but will depend on a few factors. Will possibly drive up Sunday morning if forecast looks promising.

Cheers

Ade

002.jpgwell, Saturday was a washout, then forecast for Sunday would mean I had potentially an hour window; so stayed put and spent a few more hours on the Hurricane.

It's surprising how long these little jobs take! Had put off fixing the tail as I was dreading making the elevator control horn out. It ended up a lot easier than I had feared; a little careful measuring, and cut out of the tail, and I have a fully functioning elevator. The fillet on the tail has now been done, and I've fixed the magnets for the underslung radiator. Not sure if two 10mm ones will suffice, but we will see.

Also promised myself a proper airbrush; so hopefully have that by the end of the week, so I can start the finishing.

A few more weeks should see it ready.

001.jpg

• 5 months later...

Quick question; I've purchased a magnetic on off switch, and am thinking of putting it inside the fuselage , about half way up. Should I glue this in place or use tape? And will the thickness of the fuselage be a problem?

Many thanks to Peter Garsden's for the cockpit detail picture (as provided by Phil Cooke). Fingers crossed for the maiden on the Orme.

Thanks in advance

Ade

I’ve got a magnetic switch in mine (see **LINK**   It is stuck to the fus side with tape and works fine through the wooden side. Make sure you position the switch behind some identifiable spot on the outside so that you don’t end up stroking the magnet all over the fus groping for the switch. In my case I hoped that I’d be able to use the bull’s eye as the magic spot but, as things have turned out, I have to wipe the bull’s backside. . .

Trevor

okay, I’ve had three goes at getting rid of that smiley that’s meant to be a bracket. I give up!

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:29:59

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:31:09

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:32:53

Posted by Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:29:16:

I’ve got a magnetic switch in mine (see **LINK** It is stuck to the fus side with tape and works fine through the wooden side. Make sure you position the switch behind some identifiable spot on the outside so that you don’t end up stroking the magnet all over the fus groping for the switch. In my case I hoped that I’d be able to use the bull’s eye as the magic spot but, as things have turned out, I have to wipe the bull’s backside. . .

Trevor

okay, I’ve had three goes at getting rid of that smiley that’s meant to be a bracket. I give up!

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:29:59

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:31:09

Edited By Trevor on 28/03/2019 21:32:53

Thanks Trevor, I knew I'd seen something before. Also, the way of storing the magnet is brilliant. Not too proud to pinch that idea!

Ade

• 5 months later...

img_0551.jpgBeen able, finally, to spend a few hours on the Hurricane, before we start the next mass build. I've used the magnets to attach the radiator, and have rubbed down the resin ready for paint. Wont be ready for this coming weekend, but should be by the October meet. Fitted the magnetic switch too. Will be fitting servos etc this week, and then balancing the beast. I'm looking to use ball shot epoxied into the spinner, into which a screw thread is fitted. This will screw into the bulkhead, and ill allow a little adjustment when final balancing will take place. I also need to find where I've placed the decals...… cheers Ade img_0552.jpg

Just seen this string, Good choice with the magnetic switch. I presume you have gone for the type with the led light to show you it is switched on. This light has to be place against a hole in the fuselage - only 3mm, then you know if it off or on. It is very bright so should be easy to see. I also mark the point to place the magnet with a black sharpie marker pen as on mine the sweet spot is about 12mm from the light.

I tend to use hot glue to place mine in position on the basis that it can be removed if necessary with isopropyl alcohol should it be necessary in the future. The danger with tape is that it may drop off when the tape doesn't work any more.

As to where you place it, doesn't really matter as long as you can access it easily enough with the magnet. F3F boys tend to place them on top of the fuselage to make it easier to swipe. Good thinking re radiator magnet - didn't think of that.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 02/09/2019 16:08:50