Flyer's Sea Hurricane Mk 1B

Finally, have just cleared workbench ( and time) to commence building.

( been a stressful few months, but now back on track)

Have most of the bits already, including pilot and landing lights.

Just re-reading posts regarding problems encountered to date, to hopefully enable a stress free build.

As an aside, when 'clearing my work bech' I discovered a nice 1/10th scale PJP Euro fighter; meant for a .91 fan, but I think I could get it to slope. (that's for the winter).

Will post items of interest in due course.

cheers
Ade

Finally started! Need to get my skates on, but have got everything sorted now apart from the decals. Hope to have the air frame finished by mid august, leaving me a few weeks to finish.

Many thanks for all the hints left; I think it has already benefited my build.

Cheers Ade

img_0483.jpg

Posted by Andy Meade on 20/07/2018 09:00:56:

Crikey, you've got some work in front of you Ade! Have you taken a month off work?

Looking for better 'time management' .......... delay caused by factors outside my control!. And this time I'm doing it exactly as per plan, different to the A4.

But still just about possible. At least I've a F15 to fly in Sept ! (and possibly the Mig if it's windy)

cheers

Ade

• 3 weeks later...

.............. I've decided I dislike ammonia! Trying to make balsa do what god didn't intend is not easy! ALthough I have a reasonable shape now, but waiting for it to dry before final gluing.

I've deviated a little by using triangular stock between formers 4, 5 and 6, which is easier to form. I'll glue the other triangle on tomorrow, which, I would think, be stronger than 1/4 sq. Pics to follow.

I've also made provision for the spinner (loaded with lead), to be wound onto a thread. This is by way of captive nut behind former 1A.

I've made a small error in that the strip running the length of the fuselage is set too low, so I appear to have a gap at the top of the formers. I'll just have to bodge this now with a small bit of infill.

With a bit of luck I'll have a fuselage completed by the end of next weekend, with the wings almost complete too. It will be tight, but Sept 8th is still a possibility.

Cheers

Ade

• 3 weeks later...

img_0498.jpgimg_0497.jpgOk, so it's two weeks to go; maybe possible, but we will see. Need to be glassing by Monday to have a chance. Evening spent shaping the nose and a little work on the wing. Had to admit, the nose does resemble a Hurricane, from 3 miles whilst under the influence of a little vino. Anyway, need to keep plodding.

img_0496.jpg

Underestimated how much work would go into the fuselage fairing to the wing. Good few hours later, and use of blue foam and filler have produced an acceptable , if not scale, fairing.

Used the time when things were gluing to use Bob's method on replicating the canvas effect on the tail and elevator. Also, it's been misty and wet here all day, so will have to glass tomorrow now!

Can see a few evenings / early mornings to get to the Orme next Saturday!

Will put up a few pics tomorrow.

Ade

Are you sure the mix was ok? Only way around it is to use a light skim of hardener (or catalyst) heavy epoxy over the top, and hope it kick starts the previous epoxy. i.e. if my mix is usually 5:1, I'd use a 2:1 and be VERY quick when painting it on. Your mileage may vary, and best to try it somewhere first before going crazy.

Mixed the same as the first lot Andy, and that was fine. Only the temperature did drop off here last night, so have put the airframe in the sun, and hope that it will be cured enough by the time I get home. It has gone off but was still a little tacky mid morning. I'm hoping that the midday sun will sort it.