Thin foam sheet

You need a range of surface conformity when sanding, from zero (Permagrits) to max (hand held paper) and all points in between.

Top tip: What! ( the retail outlet - stupid name) sells packs of foam abrasive blocks in coarse and fine grades at £1 for 10. The first set I got were so good they lasted years. The most recent lot not quite so good, but as good or better than the branded stuff you get from DIY stores which cost a few quid each!

Laminate flooring underlay foam is good an a bit firmer. Never used any foam back abrasive blocks on car body work still dont and always got flat invisible repairs. I can see the benefit when flatting/keying good paint prior to painting but not for anything else. Use of foam might explain some of the horrendous repairs I see while driving around ! Some look like a "Wavy Line " grocers sign ! A neighbour has just had her car repaired after some imbecile keyed it. Being kind ,it looked better before the repair. No mapping just bumps and valleys .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...