DLE 30cc info sought

alex nicol

Hi Steve,

Thanks, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Our site is in the middle of nowhere and while not noise sensitive I wouldn't want to abuse things so the silencer will most likely be ordered as well. Just one thing, have you tried it on a 3 blade prop by any chance and if so what size did you use.

the intended home is the Phoenix Models PC21 (1.20/30cc version)

+1 for the 30 plus DLEs in general but advice about silencing is spot on. I try and run pipes on mine where possible which does tame the noise. There are arguably better quality engines out there (DA’s are beautiful) but for value for money they are hard to beat for 2 stroke gassers.

Hi Tom,

Thanks to you and the other contributors for sharing. I'm a relative novice with petrol engines. The only one I have at the minute is a zdz40 which I'm absolutely delighted with.

I'd no experience of DLE but the feedback so far is fairly positive and there's a fair chance I'll end up going for the 30. I see HK are selling a Pitts silencer for about £30.

PS I get what you're saying about the bolts, but for what it's worth my preference would be the hardened option

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 29/07/2018 19:40:53:

One chap in our club has a DLE 35 equipped with a self starting set up. It costs more than a hundred pounds more but it is heaven on earth.

Edited By Tom Sharp 2 on 29/07/2018 19:45:56

Preferable to or better than a Roto 35 VI might you or anyone say?

One of my club mates modified the DLE standard silencer by packing it with pan scourer and fitting a pepper pot outlet. I was skeptical, but the engine is much quieter and is ok to be flown at our noise sensitive site. Before shelling out silly money on a custom exhaust, it's worth a try and costs next to nothing. The engine is in a large Tiger Moth, so It doesn't work particularly hard, but the scourer mod will probably not be effective in a higher performance model.

The standard exhaust is a joke and even if it was being used in the middle of nowhere, the racket is simply 'orrible, even to the most enthusiastic engine fancier.We've had to ban a couple of standard set ups - quite intolerable, and would have had us thrown off our field in no time, I suspect.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/07/2018 07:36:57

Agreed. We have a bit of a problem at our club (which is not noise limited) however a number of DLE 30 flyers don’t seem to realise how loud their engines are . It not a problem site wise as the motorway isn’t that far away but it makes it very hard to hear regular IC models when flying with the DLE . Also regarding the shearing bolts one of our members had the same thing happen while his plane was in the air, so i believe it’s worth replacing bolts with quality items for safety’s sake. 

Edited By Tim Flyer on 30/07/2018 10:37:51

Slightly off topic

Following this with interest as we have a noise sensitive site here and try what you may I have not been able to buy a silencer or indeed make one that will get under the 82dB that the BMFA suggests and our club insists on, any suggestions please for a Zenoah 20cc and a DLA 33.There is one thing for sure packing a standard silencer with pan scourers does not get anywhere near 82dB