Mayfly may fly? August 2018 article

Dad_flyer

Personally I would laminate the tailplane from two sheets of 1/16in medium balsa glued at 90 degrees to each other. I think you will find that this is quite resistant to warping and much stronger than a single sheet of balsa. If you find it a little heavy you can always 'add lightness' by cutting some round holes with something suitable.

Thank you Piers. That would certainly be stiff.

I came across the remaining part of the sheet that I used for the bad stabiliser. Easily recognisable by the outline of the tip plates. It is also quite warped, so maybe it is not so much the design as poor selection of wood.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not put a bevel on the elevator. With 1/8" thick it would need a bit of a gap for mylar hinges. I made a practice stitched hinge as that opens both ways from a flush joint.

img_20200425_215000754~2.jpg

It was easy to do and works as needed. Close joint when straight and very free movement.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got round to joining the new tail feathers to the fuselage. All straight and level and still not warped.

img_20200515_210314906~2.jpg

The lighter tail does seem to have made a difference to the balance, I need about 500mAh less ballast up front. (I have a range of 2s batteries).

• 11 months later...

I did some TLC on Mayfly this winter, which is on the Dark Nights Fix Up thread

This week I also made up a wire undercarriage. The aluminium one is too much weakened by all the holes that I put in it, and is probably the wrong type of aluminium as well.

I dislike bending and soldering as it all tries to spring apart and go off at odd angles. I have done wooden jigs before. This time I had an idea to superglue the parts to a glass plate.

IMG_20210504_215432904.thumb.jpg.4647864202bc5f6d17704c41afa478ce.jpg

That worked remarkably well, it held firm enough even in the fore-aft direction. Being glass I could also line it up square on the lines on the mat underneath.

64121418_IMG_20210505_0847526322.thumb.jpg.32219fa4263cccb8c2cb41503e7ae669.jpg

All done. The wheel hubs had started to loosen, so they are glued again as well.