Mini wot4 decisions decisions

Hello everyone

Before i go daft cutting and extending i would like to put across what I'd like to do for your opinions

I have the ill-fated Wot4 mini. I'm thinking of extending the wingspan a little and also making the leading edge thicker and flatter to slow her down a little and attempt to gain more lift.

Also going to shorten the length of the ailerons

Anyone else changed much on there's

Thanks

Scott

Am with you on this Scott, as the present wing stops flying at about 15 mph

You are OK with the ailerons as usually the outer quarter does most of the work.

I increased the inner chord by attaching an extra 10mm strip each side on the aileron as an experiment

With some improvement

An extended wing cannot do any arm, though turned up ends would improve stability

But the tail will work harder, so consider a percentage increase on the horizontal stabiliser

what are the chord & section thickness measurements on the model?

when we get down to narrow chords & low airspeeds - ie low Reynolds numbers below ~50k - thicker/blunter sections are a Bad Thing, contrary to what we might expect in a more normal sized larger model.

increasing the span, if you can do it to reduce the wing loading, would probably help; blunting/thickening the section, probably the reverse.

Hi Dennis and Andy

I think I'll go with increasing the wingspan to start with. Looking at 6" to start with and fitting some savox Servos that i have sitting around as the stock i don't trust. I'm happy enough with the stock motor and esc for the moment and 2s 800. The undercarriage must go i think too. I haven't had issues with it bending though don't want to worry about a not so smooth landing stopping future flights

Posted by Percy Verance on 30/08/2018 05:42:39:

Trouble is, how far do you go before it's a new model?

How true Percy, and Scott, I have completely rebuilt an undercarriage and mount, the powerplant is more than adequate, as you say Scott

But from the box, a scaled down beautiful Wot 4, just does not fly or glide.

It is not the weight, as this is within small electrics weight

It is the wing at fault

• 10 months later...