Which part of building a new traditional balsa model plane do you enjoy the most?

Starting a project.

I have become really good at it. Not so good at completing on the other hand.

Over the last few years I have bought quite a few job lots - some unseen that turned out well including some things that I have still not identified. I see a plan I like, or sift through some kits and really enjoy collecting all the parts needed to finish the model and boxing them up ready to use.

To illustrate, these are the models in progress.

Oodalally
Precedent Lo Boy
Sophisticated Lady
Dawn Flyer
Grumpy Tigercub
Sonata E
West Wings Fournier
Flair Cap 230
Isabella (recent mag plan)
Vamoose
Bambino
Bambina
Veron Super Robot
Acrowot
West Wings Skylark
Couple of boats thrown in for good measure

My wish list is at least twice as long with many Peter Miller designs featuring highly.

I like covering because it means that at last I have got something close to finished but of all the stages, this is one that makes me the most nervous. For instance, shall I try one more cut before changing the razor blade? and many more.

Voted other

Levanter

If I may add a comment here.

There are so many different 'parts' involved to finally get a model together, that making a 'single' choice can be quite difficult to many of us.

Hence, why not having this kind of poll with a 'multiple-choice' allowance ???

Simples & more efficient, me thinks.

Cheers

Chris

Posted by Phil 9 on 30/08/2018 18:14:21:

best part is the maiden laugh

That's the worst part. It's the second flight that's the best - provided it follows the first in short order without extensive rebuild.

I like building the fuselage best because I'm usually having to adapt it to electric power from liquid fuel which involves a bit of thought and design. I find wings a bit stressful because they are so critical to a successful outcome and they are all very similar. A bit odd, really because I like bi-planes.

Geoff

I have voted for the fuselage because I have always started with the fuselage then the wings, then the tailsurfaces. The tailplanes do not take very long and when I get to that stage I know that I do not have long to go until I have finished the basic construction.

I enjoy covering too, covering up my mistakes! I hate painting because I cannot paint accurately enough to decorate a model properly.

Posted by Peter Miller on 30/08/2018 21:06:11:

. ONLY WORK ON ONE MODEL UNTIL IT IS FINISHED or they will NEVER be completed.

Concur on that, Pete!

My favourite stage is the mental scheming, planning and plotting. The actual build is nearly incidental!

Worst stage? The endless fannying about getting all the details sorted. takes far longer than it should.

Tim

One thing I learned early on is that especially with plan builds is never to put off a difficult part of the job until later - solve the issue when you encounter it, otherwise you'll finish up with half a dozen 'difficult' bits at the end of the job.

I'm a fuselages man and voted for that as my choice - wing building is a necessary evil in my opinion, but I also get a great sense of achievement from the myriad of problem solving opportunities throughout a build. I plan my radio and other equipment installations right from the earliest stages to try to avoid difficulties later.

The maiden is the most eagerly anticipated point of the process and the main driving factor of any build.