Which part of building a new traditional balsa model plane do you enjoy the most?

The joy for me was going to the Model Shop to buy the kits and associated accessories. However when I was about 15, I got on to an (RT) bus in South Croydon opposite Heset Model Supplies / Whitgift School with my hands full of balsa and tins of dope etc . The Conductress pressed the bell and the bus zoomed off so quickly I fell into the road and the bus / Conductress just left me there. I had more fun building after that !

• 2 weeks later...

Three things :-

1. The smell of cellulose dope just before covering /repairing.

2. When things line-up exactly like dowels and screw holes etc. - doesn't happen very often for me but when it does it's magic !

3. Wings rocking gently as the vintage model taxies slowly over freshly-mown grass.

Simple things eh...

Dave

Unfolding the plan for the first time for me, studying it for a couple of days then out with the A4 pad and going through the plan for what I need and the order to build it, I also highlight the designers notes on the plan.

Sad ain't I !!

Hate the covering, been doing it for 20odd yrs and still cannot cover model like some.

Only working on one model is sound advice. But I don’t suppose that I will ever follow it. RCME don’t help with all the tasty plans that they keep giving us. Fallen in love with the Moonglow this month. I know it’s not the question and might be for another poll but the bit I really don’t like is hinging. Love the maiden flight some people , even quite experienced fliers , give that quite wisely to others but I could not Let someone else have the first flight of my new model

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Posted by David Mellor on 08/10/2018 19:07:43:

I've been following this with interest.

I haven't filled it in yet, though, because I can't get past question 3 that refers to something called an "engine" which isn't anything I'm familiar with.

The title of the thread refers to "new traditional balsa model plane", so maybe you should extend the question to "engine or motor"?

Or is it really engines only? And yes, I do build radio assist traditionally built balsa free flight models - with motors.

The category is possibly there as there's a definite pleasure in handling a shiny new engine, planning the fuel system, arranging an efficient throttle linkage, exhaust routing, cooling airflow and cowling cutting - all pleasures largely denied to the electric motorist who won't be able to look forward to experiencing the joy of coaxing their engine into life, tuning to perfection and basking in the satisfaction of a completed flight with the engine emitting gentle ticks as the metal cools in the evening sun.

Soldering 3 connectors doesn't really justify a question though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...