Autumn is here...you been flying ?

Had an excellent and totally unexpected few hours on Sunday afternoon, quite warm, sunny, blue skies very light winds just for the afternoon. Some nice models flying too -my first opportunity to see what all the fuss is about with these wee Arrows Models Red Arrow Hawks, with three of my clubmates flying theirs. I just took a few old failthfuls - my E-Flite P-51, my PZ FW190 and my HK Sukhoi Su-26 -which my clubmate Steve took some nice pictures of. I managed a completely inadvertent tail slide with the Su-26, slowing her up just a smidgen too much entering a stall turn - looked great though, minus the smoke ?

DSC_0211.thumb.JPG.01d9a597502f8b0dfd0000b7ddd6787f.JPG

DSC_0050.thumb.JPG.4a690f243e840b2735a52440b47096b3.JPG

Steve was flying a lovely little foamy Beechcraft Bonanza, which I pictured the other day- he tells me that the model was horrible to fly with the original signature V-tail, but it flies beautifully with the replacement conventional tail that he's retrofitted.

1860766175_NOvHawks-14.thumb.jpg.6e7884968bc3da5d8f7c31d4315e9cd2.jpg

1607870086_NOvHawks-9.thumb.jpg.7a9ba1f9c89171184f08c3de88c4f4ab.jpg

DSC_0190.JPG

DSC_0193.JPG

DSC_0188.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

NOv Hawks-3.jpg

NOv Hawks-21.jpg

NOv Hawks-27.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Only two of us flew yesterday, and me as usual being my obnoxious self,,, I re engined my Tiger Moth from its OS .60 Open rocker to a second hand OS .61fs that

I had to try  out,,? take off no wind, 5 minutes later gusting cross wind 30+ klm/h, the 9 club present members were all clustered together waiting for my inevitable crash as there isn't a crosswind runway, so I flew my plane 90° from the runway hopped over over the border fence and dived down into the grass, a lucky 3 pointer much to the dismay of the onlookers,,  we British can be so annoying,,,?

As GG there is nothing to encourage me to go out at present. Now any immediate hopes I nurtured, disappeared on Sunday, with yet another Covid mutation.

I have two models that have never flown as yet. Will things be improved by Spring? That is , will most if not all club members have confidence to return to the field, will indoor recommence? Once again I must shop dressed as a potential bank robber.

As many I now have been vaccinated three times, yet every time I think a new normal has been established, my confidence is reduced.

• Like 2

up here in ne...1...land........... following Fridays 90mph winds, I've never seen as much devestation.Buildings with roofs removed completely,100's of trees lying on their sides and everywhere you look roofs with holes in them.1000's still with no electricity supply,no water,no mobile phone,internet and cut off good and proper. Our town centre has the road through it closed due to unsafe structures.

ken anderson...ne...1...devestation dept.

Edited by ken anderson.
1000's not 100's

43 minutes ago, ken anderson. said:

up here in ne...1...land........... following Fridays 90mph winds, I've never seen as much devestation.Buildings with roofs removed completely,100's of trees lying on their sides and everywhere you look roofs with holes in them.1000's still with no electricity supply,no water,no mobile phone,internet and cut off good and proper. Our town centre has the road through it closed due to unsafe structures.

ken anderson...ne...1...devestation dept.

7o years ago those villages in Northumberland managed without gas and electricity and running water all year. I used to go to one had some great holidays there oil lamps coal fired cooking range, clear water from a pipe at the bottom of the village was the only running water, toilet was outside at the top of the garden, a bucket under a hole in a wooden seat . Needless to say I did not go there in the winter.

• Like 1

0EFFAC62-88AF-4F90-B95E-EA79F46F4700.thumb.jpeg.1863cbb1fcebef4d493e58c811d64013.jpeg

Just two of us braved the conditions in Northumberland on Monday morning, both with 600 size helicopters. 0 degrees but with no wind at all you could actually feel the warmth from the sun the odd time it appeared from behind the clouds.

Baz

Edited by brfc7

9 minutes ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

No picture but + 12°C and no wind here yesterday, and a few flights with my Tiger Moth accompanied by another members one.

Yes a very nice afternoon. The 2 Tiger Moths looked great flying together.  Paul's 4-stroke powered one sounded much nicer than the other 2-stroke version though.

I managed 4 good flights with my new  Black Horse Mohawk . So all in all a very pleasant time.

Edited by David Ovenden

• 3 weeks later...

Got out today to fly this Wots Wot.  It was built many years ago by a chap who has now given up flying and has had a number of engines in it which accounts for the myriad of holes in the cowl as well as most of the underneath missing to accommodate a Pitts type silencer.  The latest engine is an OS91FX.  The silencer on this is quite superb and, although not tested yet, should make the noise test.  Only problem today was the lowish cloudbase and the need to run the engine rich as it's being run in and I'm following the OS instructions to the letter!  The Wots Wot is quite heavy and the OS61FX I tried in it first was just not man enough to pull it vertically upward for long.  The 91 is showing promise although it still needs a further 7 flights before I can fully lean off the main needle valve.

20211218_111505.thumb.jpg.47008bf8cf206da7eba45d00a73fa164.jpg

Edited by Peter Jenkins