Autumn is here...you been flying ?

Flew my Acrowot ( in my User picture) for a couple of flights yesterday. With its OS55ax on tuned pipe it is very very fast with almost unlimited vertical . It looks scruffy after 3 years of lots of flying ( plus it’s second engine) . It’s a great “ winter hack”. As it’s a glassed kit built Acrowot it is very very strong . I just had to give it new aileron servos, but is economical too only using cheap Futaba 3004s on ailerons . Only thing is that it comes in in light wind like a train as there isn’t much prop braking on its small max performance prop . Like my other Wots it’s great in strong wind or rough UK conditions .

Posted by David Davis on 01/10/2018 05:41:19:
I managed to land everything on the patch this time so things must be improving! Still haven't got the hang of slowing my landing approaches sufficiently using the elevator. I will continue practising. smiley

Depending on your transmitter capability you could try the following, it depends on your Tx having flight modes with trims specific to each flight mode.

Set up a switch to select "Landing" mode with a unique trim for elevator. Now just (at a good height) switch to "Landing" mode, shut the throttle then adjust the elevator trim to get a slow glide for landing. Makes things easy.

I don't consider this "cheating", I was taught to use the elevator trim (with flaps) on full size for landing.

Mike

Posted by David Davis on 01/10/2018 10:23:14:
Posted by aidan mcatamney on 01/10/2018 09:50:16:

A very nice plane David is the senior telemaster. Is that a fourstroke you have on it?

Yes Aidan it's a Thunder Tiger 91 FS but it's also flown on a Laser 90, an OS 70 FS and only just with an OS 61 FS!

• 3 weeks later...

While I was getting on with painting the outside of my house yesterday morning I received a text from the president of the model aeroplane club asking for volunteers to put on a bit of a flying demonstration in the afternoon between 16.00 and 17.30. The mayor of the next village was holding a conference for all of the mayors of the department, which may perhaps be best described as a very large county, and he wanted to give the delegates a break. Among those attending was the "Mayor of Mayors" and the Departmental Finance Minister.

I loaded four models into the van, two electric and two i/c and I arrived on site at at 15.30 and started to assemble them. I started with the Senior Telemaster (STM) as that takes twenty minutes to rig. By 16.15 I had them all ready and we stood about waiting for the mayor's party. It was very sunny but quite windy and I was only wearing sandals, shorts and the club polo shirt so after a while I began to feel cold. I test-flew my foamie electric trainer and then by half past five when no-one had turned up, I declared that I had more important things to do than to wait for people who didn't turn up, so started dismanting the STM. Of course as soon as I had got it in pieces a people-carrier turned up with the mayor's party! Assorted members flew their electric powered models while the club president put the club's ARTF trainer, powered by an OS 46 through its paces. I was reluctant start up an i/c engine for just one flight so chose to demonstrate the Junior 60's benign flying characteristics which included me holding the transmitter at arms length while the model flew itself!

The Mayor of Mayors turned out to be a slim, attractive, fair-haired lady of a certain age! She seemed to be quite excited by the flying display so I walked over to her offered her the transmitter and asked her to push the right hand stick to the right. The model went into an immediate spiral dive! I took back control and when the poor old thing had settled down after a series of power-stalls, I asked her to observe my right thumb as I flew the model. Once she had understood that only small movements were necessary, she managed to complete a right hand circle before she was called back to duty at the local community centre. As the party left we were invited for drinks at eight o'clock that evening.

It is the policy of our club to write out a certificate for any beginner who flies an r/c model at our flying field for the first time. These are normally issued to children who fly the club's trainer on the buddy box but we wrote one out for her! We duly arrived at the community centre and were kept waiting for half an hour in the cold but this time I was wearing long trousers, Veldschoen and a sports jacket. In front of all of the mayors of the department I had to present her with her certificate. She asked me whether I was scared of the model crashing the first time she had the transmitter. I said that all beginners were too brutal on the sticks first time out but that she had learned very quickly, besides the model is extremely stable.

Then I had to kiss her on both cheeks. It's a tough job ...

junior 60 in flight.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 20/10/2018 07:26:43

Edited By David Davis on 20/10/2018 07:31:14

Returning to the thread - I have started flying i/c again after straying from the true religion for 10-15 years or so. I've hung an Irvine 46 on the front of a previously electrified ( very scruffy ) artf Wot4, which exactly suits it. Initially I was flying a couple of circuits followed by a dead stick landing - but being a Wot4, apart from my irritation there were no other problems. However I have now installed an HK on board glow driver ( the 'smart' one ) so that now the only way the motor will stop is if I want it to, or I run out of fuel. I am still flying a variety of well flown ( equally scruffy ) electric models, but now have the routine washing off of the copious quantities of black castor exhaust residue from the Irvine when I get home - not really a chore - just part of the i/c experience that I remember, however the collective wisdom up at the field is that when I buy my next gallon of fuel, it should be synthetic which will mean rather less clag to remove. (Thoughts anybody?) But, I'm glad to be back in the oily paw assoc'n, now I just have to bring some of my old glow engines out of retirement and give them a bench run in the garden.

Posted by Old Geezer on 21/10/2018 09:30:54:

Returning to the thread - I have started flying i/c again after straying from the true religion for 10-15 years or so. I've hung an Irvine 46 on the front of a previously electrified ( very scruffy ) artf Wot4, which exactly suits it. Initially I was flying a couple of circuits followed by a dead stick landing - but being a Wot4, apart from my irritation there were no other problems. However I have now installed an HK on board glow driver ( the 'smart' one ) so that now the only way the motor will stop is if I want it to, or I run out of fuel. I am still flying a variety of well flown ( equally scruffy ) electric models, but now have the routine washing off of the copious quantities of black castor exhaust residue from the Irvine when I get home - not really a chore - just part of the i/c experience that I remember, however the collective wisdom up at the field is that when I buy my next gallon of fuel, it should be synthetic which will mean rather less clag to remove. (Thoughts anybody?) But, I'm glad to be back in the oily paw assoc'n, now I just have to bring some of my old glow engines out of retirement and give them a bench run in the garden.

Posted by Old Geezer on 21/10/2018 09:30:54:

You'll have lots of fun!

Old Geezer, this is so refreshing to read. Ive been flying IC since May1986 and in recent years ive started flying a few electric planes. I love both for different reasons but i still love the sound of engines, especially fourstroke. Like you i like to get my hands oily and the cleaning down after a days flying is all part of this great hobby of ours. Enjoy your glow planes..

This was very refreshing to read. I love both electric and ic for different reasons. I love the sound of engines and i like getting my hands oily working with glow fuel. Been flying since May 1986 and mostly glow planes in my hangar. But in recent years ive been flying a few more electric planes. Enjoy your glow planes old geezer, this is a great hobby of ours.

I was out this weekend flying my Multiplex Mentor on floats . I love this plane as it flys like a big trainer and looks great on the water. With a 3s 4250 lipo, i get a good lengthy flight time even with all the lights i have installed on the plane. It is also very stable in flight and can perform basic aerobatics quite well.

@DD - now that’s a much better photo, lucky you!

@OG - defo get rid of castor based fuel, you will see (or not) the difference. Be careful with on board gloss, they can mask a basic engine setup problem. A few of my club mates used them but have now got rid of them as they’ve retuned their engines, in most cases they were too rich so the plug got cold when running slow. But if it gets you out flying again them great.

Autumn is really here now, the signs are there to see.

In the field s across the vale from the flying field a long line abreast of beaters moved steadily down the the hill, last week. All waving large plastic bags whilst yelling and whistling. Spasmodic shots were heard from time to time and the odd dog, appearing as a dark shape could be seen running to something unseen.

Whilst flying yesterday, I became acutely aware of some strange noises behind me, had another modeler arrived? It turned out to be the increasing wind rattling the now golden brown leaves in the trees that still clung onto the branches, whilst others tumbled through the boughs on their way to the ground.

Now daily, ever larger flocks of Geese are passing overhead, making their way to the marshes on the estuary. Mostly in "V" formation, although some were line astern. Today at the field we observed a swarm of what were probably starlings in the distance, an ever morphing from one shape to another, then gone. Something similar was observed yesterday.

At home I saw a Parliament of crows fly over, I was awe struck at the sheer number, probably several hundred or more. I did think there is always one that is different, observing a black blob, way above them. I then thought not for long are you of independent mind, as it approached vertically at high speed. The flock changed shape into a donut, as I realised this was an attack by a hawk of some kind. I lost sight of the hawk as it swooped into one side of the donut, which by know disappeared as quickly as it seemed to form.

Not everything has changed though, Transco and British Gas have essentially severed all road movement out to the west, creating chaos in the area, as vehicles follow the detours and are held up at temporary lights, to increase the chaos. Then there are the fracking protestors, who yesterday blocked of Preston New Road that I use to get to our field. Now promising "fire balls in the sky", "poisoned water supplies", your tap water bursting into flames. The fact that our water comes from the Trough of Bowland seems irrelevant. Yet it is the intimidation that concerns me most, and the delays.

The weather now being increasingly damp, has changed our farm track from a concrete like Belgium Parve, increasingly into a Toboggan Run (Rodel Bahn for the German Speakers), where traction is not as guanteed as concrete becomes liquefied mud.

Perhaps my biggest issue is the grass on the field; it is still growing, now quite long and ground now unsuitable for the lawn mower.

As for flying itself, I am continuing on a weekly basis, of generally 4 times. Increasingly there are fewer others present. The unfavorable and unpredictable wind directions, is often are a source of turbulence, from the South or North. Come to think of it, the east is not great either Together with topography of the site, which is often is the source of issues, due to the slops, increasing the need to plan the flight.

>>

Edited By Erfolg on 21/10/2018 21:52:25

Edited By Erfolg on 21/10/2018 21:53:02

Edited By Erfolg on 21/10/2018 21:58:25

Talking of ornithology, while painting the outside of my house I distinctly heard the sound of migrating cranes. Harbingers of winter here as they make their way towards southern Spain and north Africa. As I was standing on a ladder my movements were somewhat restricted so I never actually saw any but yesterday several flocks of them flew over the flying field. Several hundred birds in each group. I even saw one group circling in a thermal before striking out southwards once they had gained altitude.

Edited By David Davis on 22/10/2018 05:42:22

Very nice.

Our field is starting to get a little softer underfoot. The small electrics will soon be ruling the shorter days.

I refreshed my HK MX2; swapped the unbranded 9g servos - one had failed mid-flight, interesting moment - for HS55, and changed the pushrod hardward for "proper" 1.6mm + clevis stuff - the thin stuff was loose in the horns (and had been from new). I also straightened up the twist in the fuselage by reinforcing with some (more) paper covering at the corners. I need to perform the same treatment for its rather warped ailerons. Was nice to get it back in the air.

I spent another session shooting touch and goes with my RM Trainer, the post-flight cleanup was less pleasant - the sheep are back in the field, and their offerings are like undercarriage magnets. And as sticky as epoxy. The downside of flying on land with livestock.

Posted by AWflyer on 23/10/2018 10:14:03:

Congleton Model Flyers member Phil Youngman test flying his new Carl Goldberg Super Chipmunk powered by OS 91 four stroke fantastic build and covering job by his father Peter.chip1.jpg

Thats a really nice Super Chipmunk and theres nothing to beat the sound of a nice running four stroke engine. That looks like a very nice flying site.

• 2 weeks later...

A fine breezy yesterday here with the wind from the south so good for Ivinghoe Beacon. The south slope is flyable except for having to land crosswind along the slope. The air can be turbulent there as well because it is downwind from another hill. Partly for those reasons I took my Slipstream foamie wing to fly. I have changed the pushrods from the kit supplied bike spokes to carbon rods but other than that it’s absolutely standard. Had several long flights, the lift was good and even some thermals went through. After my Cliffwhacker session a couple of weeks ago I’m getting more into slope soaring. This is an actual and metaphorical slippery slope I’m afraid..