Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Hi all,after finishing the pss hurricane mass build it was planned to go on with the magister project.It started as a PSS model and flown now succesfully for two years.

Due to the fact that we don't have slopes in our region i feel de need to make a second one with a EDF.

The first fuselage came out of my own moulds but i have to modify it in the exhaust area (to small).

I'm working on the moulds now for the wings and tail , those were balsa covered foam and glass on the pss version.

I will post regularly and any tips , comments or advise are most welcome !

Best regards from Belgium , Dirk

Hi Dirk,

The best launcher... and a superb Fouga in Red Devils outfit.

Being a teenager, I used to have a cousin being instructor with the CM170 and I was massively lucky to be able to enjoy a short maiden flight with the trainer in Beauvechain (IIRC?).

I will be following your build with great attention, of course. Do you know that MT-5 had been fully restored and is back in the Belgian sky since 2017?

So, there are at least two Belgians members to this forum. I'm living in Zaventem, where are you from?

Cheers

Chris

20180917_210608.jpg20180914_225953.jpgSo, as promised,the first real building post

If you want to mould the wings and tail ,you need plugs.I cutted the foam cores for the tail in two halves due to the big difference in root-lenght , then covered with 2mm balsa.The moving parts will be cut later.

In fact , i only going to make one ruddervator ?? mould because left and right are identical20180914_225918.jpg

20180918_222632.jpg20180918_221709.jpgNext are the wings,these are too big to cut in one peace.I used UHU por to glue the aluminium ribs to the foam,because i don't like nails to hold them.

To be honest ,i ruined some foam on this job !! You have to find a compromise between wire tension , voltage , cutting speed ,and get the set-up right for the gravity foam cutter(difference in root lenght )20180917_230323.jpg

I've already subscribed, Dirk.

It surely boosts up motivation when receiving some visits and comments. Well, it does to me while building the Vicomte. So keep up your build thread, please. yes

I can't remember where, but a saw a picture of a Belgian quite large fiber glass Fouga.

The wing center section seemed to be part of the fuselage with separate wing halves at each end. IIRC the builder was a Flemish guy. I could be wrong, but does the name Vrancken rings a bell? question

Cheers

Chris

20180922_193426.jpgBack in my plane cave i glued the wing core halves together as well as the rest halves of the foam board.All with UHU por. I will need them to press the wing cores in between when covering them with balsa.After a little sanding they are ready to sandwich them . 110 cm of fouga wing cores ! Well ,they 're not going to be used to fly , but to mould them. A long way to go !20180921_230404.jpg20180924_232032.jpg