Jump to content

Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Recommended Posts

Sorry to hear your news Dirk, I wish both you and Diana a quick recovery - I'm afraid we caught it too last month, the kids bringing it back in from primary school - so hard to manage with the little ones.  Thankfully with the double jab it was no worse than a head cold with headaches.  Stay strong and well.  Your fantastic fuselage will be there waiting for you when you safely return to the shop.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks all !!


@ Paul : I had Pfizer twice...    No guarantee right ??!!??😷


While i'm still not 100% , i have to do something or i will go crazy from boredom !🥶


I started  with cleaning the new fuselage. After de-moulding there's still a film of pva that needs to be washed away with water.

I made a (long) list of things to do , and on top are the rudders and wings. Before i start these , and shelf the fuse , i need to know if everything fits .(Hathes,nose cone , tail cone ,thrust tube)


No problem with the nose and tail cone , Just some sanding to get even seams.

The hatches require a little more work...I realize just now , i made a mistake here...I can solve it , but it's a mistake.

When i was making the plugs for the hatches (and their openings in the fuse) , i didn't take the thickness of the paint into account...this resulted in hathes who are a little oversized.I can use them after a serious trim ,but it's far from perfect.When the time comes to paint them , they will "grow "again !!

The best solution is..make new moulds for the hatches ,but first i'll try to "tape" (or even double tape ) the flanges of the moulds. This way i "win"the thickness of the tape.(smaller hatches)





They fit for now (unpainted )but they don't "drop" in place...


On to the thrust tube : I cleared the exhaust openings with the dremel with some reserve to enlarge...





After a dry fit one side... i'm very pleased !

Thesame for the left side .





The best fit i could ask for !! Thanks again Andy for the perfect plug !

Glueing the tube in is for later , after the former for the rudder support is fitted.

That's it for today !🤒

















































  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2021 at 22:27, dirk tinck said:

Thanks for the comments  all !


This must be the first time i did not see my workshop for 3 days in a row !!...Thanks to , Yes... Covid.

The virus has finally got me , and my wife Diana...We think we got it from the grandchildren.

We both have mild symptons but work is out of order. Ten days quarantine now ...

I hope i'm over this soon and can restart working !! No work  , no pay !


Keep safe  ! Dirk


Best wishes for a rapid recovery!

If it's any consolation, I would vote for you as the AMOTY!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Hello all !

Sorry i kept you all waiting for a month but things here didn't go as planned .

Covid had me a little longer than normal out of the shop but that's behind me now.

Before we go on , i want to wish you all a very happy New Year  !!


Last thing i did  , december 14th , was fitting all the hatches and other things to the newborn fuselage wich is now on the shelf to make room for the rudder moulds.

I already made one rudder as a test months ago , remember ? It was usable but a little overweight at 320 gr. I will try to make it lighter without giving in on strenght.

I cleaned and waxed the moulds ,gave them a coat of pva and painted them with IMC , in mould coating.

After drying , they were layed up with 50gr of glass in the corners and a second layer overall. I got the airex parts ready together with the bleeder and perforated plastic to cover the layup and put everything in the vacuumbag.

After curing , the edges will be trimmed and cleaned.










This has to cure under vacuum for at least 10hours with the current themperatures. With a proper sealed bag , the pump starts every 2 minuts for 10 seconds . (aprox)


Next thing to do is cut and fit the internals.




When happy with the fit , glue is applyed on all contact surfaces (thickened resin ) and the moulds can be closed ,bolted together and left to cure.












Thanks for watching !





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Before the moulds were closed , the contact area's were waxed to prevent them from sticking together when exess gleu finds his way out of the rudder.

I was carefully with the gleu and it paid off ! The new rudder parts left the mould very easy.

After a clean-up i was very pleased with the new parts ! 225 gr on the scale ! 95 gr less than the first one !














The seams look very good and the parts still feel very strong !

I just need to spend more time on the first layer of glass in the moulds as i find here and there some small defects in the surface , nothing that can't be solved with some primer.

I only have one set of rudder moulds so next week i'm doing the other side !


Stay tuned !

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...