Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

time to ''drill'' the wing tube holes ...I did a few tests in some scrap foam and what really works best is a sharpened tube with a slightly smaller diameter.

So the wing tube is 30 mm (i hope thats enough) and goes 30 cm deep in the wing half. I found a piece of tube of 28.8 mm (ex party tent) to drill the holes. Not the easyest task as this will provide

1 : a straight wing , what we want

2 : a wing with some dihedral ,what we don't want( pos. or neg.)

The fact that the cutting tube is 1.2mm smaller than the hole i want,gives me the chance to correct it a little bit with sand paper wrapped arround the tube.(after the hole is drilled)

While ''drilling)by hand , the cutting tube is supported by 2 foam blocks glued to the flat board,paralell to the trailing edge and perfect in line with the middle of the wing root. The distance to the leading edge is chosen according to the form of the landing gear opening and preferable in the thickest part of the wing.20181111_150759.jpg

Time to form the wing tips

This is not an ordinairy wing tip as the round tiptank would leave a gap between tank and wing

To get the perfect shape i glued some scrap balsa to the wing,roughly shaped it and then added some filler.While drying i pushed the tank into the filler and left to dry.For easy loosening i left a thin layer of plastic on the filler.The tank was held horizontal with a foam block.

Bang !No sanding needed !!

BTW the tiptank is one i made fot the PSS version wich was to heavy.20181115_223611.jpg

The only thing to do before separating the ailerons and flaps is to close the wing at the root with balsa.

Everyting square,horizontal ,epoxy please !The first wing is already drying standing up and pressed against the sealing.After the epoxy has set,made the tubeholes in the balsa,carefully not disturbing the foam.

Time to do a test : Put a peace of tube in both the wings and inspect the leading edge.

Straight or not ,let's see tomorrow

20181116_234333.jpg

20181121_225026.jpg20181121_223449.jpg20181121_215719.jpgTime to tackle the ailerons !

First draw the ailerons on the wings,cut them out and give them a round leading edge.Before closing them,i'm going to add a hinge tube in aluminium,right in the centre of the leading edge curve.To form this curve,i'm glueing two metal ribs on the sides,then sand the ailerons on a flat board with some sandpaper glued on.20181120_233403.jpg

To align wing and aileron i used two peaces of gfk hinge -axle.Later these will be replaced by a full ail-span axle.

With the aileron opening in the wing cut out to big,i'm going to form a hollow balsa spar to glue in just in front of the aileron.Nearly impossible to sand this right so i'm going to use two peaces triangular balsa stock 6x6 glued to a 2mm balsa base20181124_233245.jpg

20181125_225948.jpgI had to use a little filler to clean up the wing just in front of the aileron.

I'm happy with this day's work and the result.Te gap between aileron(God i'm beginning to hate this word) and wing is minimal but still have some space for glassing and paint.Deflexion is possible up to 60-70 degrees both up and down without the aileron touching the wing20181125_230045.jpg !More than i need !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again ,before going on with the build,let's get you up to date :

After getting the second aileron in place,it's time for the flaps !

It's pretty much the same way of work if it wasn's for the flaps being seperated by a little piece of wingangry 2

Anyway,first i'm doing them as a single flap20181130_230004.jpg

firt draw the flaps onto the wing.The flaps are way much wider on the underside than on the top-side as you can see on the scale drawing.I have to search for a compromise because the real fouga has fowler flaps (they slide backwards)I'm not going this route as it's way to much work.I'm doing them the ''easy'' way with tube hinges.20181130_225958.jpg