Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Now the real moulding can begin:

When the paint is dry and hard,first thing to do is place every part (wings,flaps and ailerons)horizontal in a frame thatdevides the part in half.

To hard to explane without pics so i will leave you guys here untill next session !cheers !!

Hi Geoff , i've tried various tapes :chartpak , 3M fine line tape , even ordered ''special''nylon tape in the USA , but they all have specific problems :some break when you try to remove them , some leave glue residu , to thick , to thin , ...

With my little tool i can choose the dept of the lines,the width of the line(just take another dremel bit) but the great advantage is that i can make really tight curves by using templates.

For curved surfaces i use flexible templates and hold them in place with double sided adhesive tape.

An extrea pair of hands helps a lot too !!(Thanks Diana)kiss

I also found that practice makes perfect ! especialy for lines that end up in another line.

Thanks for following Geoff !!

Dirk.

20190228_211603.jpg

user_scoped_temp_data_media_upload1_1552944690886.jpg20190318_222843.jpg20190318_222833.jpgHi all !

I started last week with the preparations to mould the first flap.It's been a while sinds i have done some moulding so i need a little practice.

I placed the flap in a supporting foam block and glued it with a little epoxy after protecting it with some tape.This needs to be easy to remove so i don't damage the surface.Then surrounded the flap with casting plywood wich has a glossy surface for easy loosening.The upper side of the plywood has to be right in the centerline of the flap.Again , this is glued to the supporting foam block with epoxy with a little gap to the flap. This gap has to be filled with plasticine,it's like childrens clay and doesn't get hard.Again this is nessesary for easy removal once the first ,,shell'' is hard.Arround this frame, there is a vertical border glued in place to improve strenght of the mould.All that's left to do now is polish 7,yes SEVEN times with demoulding wax,put on the demoulding film (PVA,NOT the glue! it's a water based transparent demoulding film) and then i can paint-on the epoxy and glass-cloth layers. that forms the first mould half....

I hope you guy's can follow all this better with some foto's.

Before i go further with the process i will prepare the other flaps and the ailerons and the wings naturally.Guess we'll be at least two weeks busy !!

There's lots of video's on the net , check out HP textiles on you tube.

Please let me know when something isn't clear !20190318_222814.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

20190418_221150.jpg20190418_224948.jpg20190418_224913.jpg20190418_223404.jpg20190418_221245.jpg20190418_221207.jpg20190418_223344.jpg20190413_192056.jpgHi all ! With the two wings,flaps and ailerons all framed up,waxed 7 timescrying 2 they are ready to mould , finally!!

While waiting for the products i took the time to get the tiptank-plug also ready for primer,panel lines,paint and again framing it up and ......waxing.The same for thefuselage nose cone and tip-tank nose cone.The moulds of my PSS fouga (for these parts)are suffering from gel-coat loosening so i have to make new ones.

The moulding itself will start in the Easter weekend.20190314_223547.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all !

Just started this weekend with the moulding as promissed , well i was planning to start the Easter weekend but the products were late so i did some other work first.Later about that.

Let's start with something small to warm up like a flap.

First thing needed is to apply the release agent PVA.It's a transparent film that helps to demould and it resolves with water.This has to prevent that the next layers stick to the plug. It 's applyed with a sponge and dry's in half an hour.

Next step is to apply moulding resin.I used to do gel-coat instead but this should be better.I had problems with gel-coat loosening from the mould.

It's applyed with a brush and is colored with black pigment. It has a working time of 30 min.The next layer must be applyed within this time to adhere.For big parts like the wings that's not enough time so need to put down a cuppling layer like glass shreds(cuttings).Later about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Earlier this week i took a shot at the first wing half. As clear in the foto this mould is too complicated to make in one pièce.You could try but it would be very hard to de-mould because off the vertical sides off the wing(root).So at the ends off the wing i placed a board to work against.