Fouga magister 1/4.5 moulded from scratch

dirk tinck

Hello again,

The moulding continues !

With the root and tip -sides waxed and the PVA (polyvinylalcohol) dry they are ready to take the moulding resin and the epoxy with the glass cloth , same as the other parts .You have to be careful not to disturb the PVA.20190511_215905.jpg

With the edges cleaned up (sorry :no pic) i placed two supports over the wing at 1 third and 2 thirds off the wingspan to make sure, when the mould is turned over to make the other side,it dousnt get warped.

This is visible in previous pics.

So let's turn it over ,remove the supporting board,loose the foam and clean -up the underside !20190514_222536.jpg

The black part in the foto before the last is the underside off the three moulds wich are going to serve now to work against to make the opposite moulds. therefore they need to be waxed like the wing...again.

Two more to go and we have a complete wing mould !Normally three (like the upper side :tip , center and root)but i'm going to try to make the bottom side in two parts :center with tip and root side. I'm sure it will come off....i think.

In the last foto you can see the metal braces to keep the moulds together(bolted to the vertical side off the parts)

So this evening i'm doing the first bottom part...fingers crossed !

Correct Stephen !I couldn't have said it better. I know it sounds crazy but in the end it will be faster to make multiple aircraft in the moulds that to make them one by one from scratch.I also hope to get the weight down and the strenght up compared to a wooden airframe.Thanks for the comment !

With the PVA dry,it's time for epoxy and glass : 50 gr ,100gr , 5x200gr gives a thickness of around 2mm.

The little glass cutting are added for future laminations like future layers but in this case it's to accept some reinforcements to strenghten the mould. they garanty a good adhesion.

I also placed reinforcements to the center-mould at a third and two thirds of the span .They also help to prevent the mould from warping when turned arround for laminating the actual wing...Yes were getting there !!20190519_233813.jpg

Next step before "unwrapping" the 5 moulds, is to connect them all with bolts .Not just drill and put a bolt in ,nope !

The bolts are there to make sure that whenever the moulds are bonded,the're at the exact same position every time.

This is my system to achieve this:

Drill the holes with a 6.5mm drill.

Place a 2cm long piece of broom-stick(drilled in the center with a 6.5 mm drill ) on both sides of the composition with 30min epoxy and place a 6mm bolt in the hole.

before the epoxy is cured , remove the bolt and let dry.

When cured , drill again with a 8 mm drill. let the 6.5mm hole guide the 8 mm drill so that you have a perfect 8 mm hole.

Now fit a 8mm bolt with a UNTHREADED part in the hole and you have a perfect fit without play !

You can buy special systems for the same goal but hey,that 's money saved !!

If you neglect this,you end up with a difference in height on the centerline of the moulded parts wich you have to solve with filler and i hate that when it's possible to prevent.20190521_224547.jpg