BMFA Website down...?

Robert Cracknell

Posted by Robert Cracknell on 20/09/2018 20:42:16:

Denis

If that link is to the BMFA main web site (which I suspect) it does not open and repeats this....

capture.jpg

Thanks Robert for testing the link. From the start of this thread, the whole time, my android, my PC WiFi too, windows 10 and and phone, old G3 have gone to the site immediately, no problem, no delay, all accessible

So something is going on in a few parts of the country or in certain homes.

By their own admission, the BMFA are adjusting more than one part of their site

Unhelpful to us right now, things will get worse over the weekend

I say that we meet up again Monday

Then for sure we will know which direction to go in,

If some folk can see the web site. (I can no problem). Does it depend on which ISP we're using?

I can see it using either BT broadband or 3 Mobile.

Another thought, those that can't see it and are on a PC.Try loading the website, once it's failed try pressing Ctrl and F5 together. Sometimes this will flush out connection problems.

The site doesn't work for me either. I get the message below:

This page can’t be displayed

Turn on TLS 1.0, TLS 1.1, and TLS 1.2 in Advanced settings and try connecting to https://bmfa.org again. If this error persists, it is possible that this site uses an unsupported protocol or cipher suite such as RC4 (link for the details), which is not considered secure. Please contact your site administrator.

The TLS stuff is already turned on. PC is using Windows 7 and Internet Explorer 11.0.85 if that's of any use. There is no little padlock (usually to the right of the address bar) and to the left of the address in the bar there is a three-sided red and grey symbol...I thought the BMFA symbol usually appeared there though I may be wrong.

My iPhone (on WiFi) initially also failed to connect, giving a message about Safari being unable to get a secure connection, then suddenly it connected and has remained working for 10 minutes now.

Perhaps the above messages might provide some clue?

Brian W.

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 20/09/2018 21:13:14:
If some folk can see the web site. (I can no problem). Does it depend on which ISP we're using?

I can see it using either BT broadband or 3 Mobile.

Another thought, those that can't see it and are on a PC.Try loading the website, once it's failed try pressing Ctrl and F5 together. Sometimes this will flush out connection problems.

I am using BT broadband and can't get access. Perhaps it's the router - BT Hub 6 in my case.

Tried Ctrl and F5 together as you described - it worked once and gave me access, but after leaving the site it won't work again and I can't get back in.

Dick

Same problem for me. I have tried connecting several times over the last 24 hours without success. I get various screen messages but this one is the most frequent:

Cannot securely connect to this page

This might be because the site uses outdated or unsafe TLS security settings. If this keeps happening, try contacting the website’s owner.

These issues may be down to preparation work being carried out for the system changes scheduled for Sunday, ,these things are always a bit of a challenge and will no doubt end up with a few glitches over the following days. We should prepare to be a little patient while they work through the upgrade, I am sure we all have plenty of that as we don't seem to use much of it wink

Paul.

Posted by Paul C. on 21/09/2018 11:21:16:

These issues may be down to preparation work being carried out for the system changes scheduled for Sunday, ...............................................

Paul.

Paul

We have been assured by the BMFA that the issues are not down to the scheduled work, so we are just trying to identify any common factors that may help identify the cause of the problem.

So far it doesn't seem to be down to browser or operating system or even ISP, could the type of router be an issue?

Dick

To move this along, I emailed three colleagues details of the BMFA yesterday

None of these lads are flyers or have googled BMFA before

All three did, and connected and navigated the site, no problem

In Barnstaple, Devon

In Newcastle and in

Manchester

Do the same with your pals

And try again, as previously suggested, switching off the modem for at least 10 seconds, then reboot the whole shebang

Edited By Denis Watkins on 21/09/2018 12:23:41

Dick,Missed that BMFA post on the previous page embarrassed. In a previous life I used to work in IT mainly on business systems my experience that when the techies prepair for upgrades they sneak in a few upgrades to the current operating systems to allow a 'seamless transittion' what that really means is that carry out software updates that they should have done years ago wink. Hope they get this issue sorted soon, it's a pain to track down when it's impacting all users.

Paul.

This gets more interesting. As mentioned above I have been unable to connect to the BMFA site for 24 hours+. So far I have only tried to access the site using MS Edge.

Out of curiosity I tried to connect using Firefox but this browser also refused to connect but, and here is where things get interesting, my anti-virus software (AVG) simultaneously threw up a dialogue box saying:

"We've safely aborted connection on www.bmfa.org because it was infected with HTML:Iframe-BLG (Tri)".

This presents at least 2 possibilities. First, AVG (and perhaps other AV products) is throwing up a false positive or second, AVG is correct and the BMFA site does indeed have a nasty lurking.

Someone far more tech minded than me might be able to throw a bit more light on this?

I am a BT internet user connecting via a Hub 6 router - rebooting the router makes no difference either.