BMFA Website down...?

Robert Cracknell

Posted by John Roberts 9 on 21/09/2018 14:12:34:.........

I am a BT internet user connecting via a Hub 6 router - rebooting the router makes no difference either.

Ah! - another Hub 6 router.

I turned off the router for several minutes. Turned on again - no difference. Tried Ctrl and F5 together - now it works and can navigate round the BMFA site and to other sites and back again.

Shut down browser and restarted it and no access again - Ctrl and F5 doesn't work now either.

I have repeated this sequence to check it.

Short of 5 minutes delay shutting down and restarting the router (BT Hub 6) each time I want to use the BMFA site - we still have a problem.

Dick

Posted by Paul Marsh on 21/09/2018 16:53:04:

I don't know what the people who can log in are doing.

Nothing other than normal.

I'd have said that a common link to the BT Hub 6 was emerging but I had this problem briefly earlier in the week accessing the web via a Sky connection...

I have a BT Hub 5 and have had no problems at home.

On a slightly related note, I'm quite sure that I used to use Shift/F5 (or Shift/Refresh) to force my ISP cache to update a web page but Shift/F5 now brings up the developer tools - even on (shock/horror) Internet Explorer...when dd this change?

Edited By Martin Harris on 21/09/2018 17:44:21

Not sure this will help but I have been having no problems accessing the BMFA site.

I am using Chrome, Bing and IE on Windows 10 on my laptop and Safari and Puffin on my iPad via Sky broadband.

Cannot think of any logical reason why apparently disparate users should be seeing problems.

By the way, to my knowledge, browsers seem to standardise on F5 for reloading a site, Ctrl-F5 to flush the cache and reload, and F12 to bring up the developer tools.

I have access again - temporarily but repeatably - and am convinced the problem involves the router - BT Hub 6 in my case.

Could someone who doesn't have access try this (and confirm router type whatever the result):-

Disconnect from your normal WiFi

Connect to any open network you can find - no need to log in or anything just make a connection

Now disconnect from that WiFi and reconnect to your normal WiFi

Having done that I now have access to the BMFA site. If I shut down the browser it still works when I start it again. If I shut down the PC I have to go through the above routine again.

It still doesn't help with my Android devices, but it's a start.

Dick

This is a weird one! Not had any problems here at all using Slackware Linux and Firefox. I even tried an old windows machine that hasn't been used in ages, and that went straight in, no problems. I'm on Plusnet as my provider.

I wonder if its something to do with DNS resolving? I'm guessing that most users just go with their ISP's default DNS. I'm using OpenDNS rather than Plusnet's own.

For anyone wanting to try it, the DNS addresses are 208.67.222.222 (primary) or 208.67.220.220 (secondary).

If anyone having problems knows how to implement this, try this and report back here, please!

--

Pete

Posted by Denis Watkins on 21/09/2018 18:16:00:
Posted by trebor on 21/09/2018 18:14:27:

I just cleared all my cache, and still no good surprise where is the "slit my wrist smiley when you need it"

Trebor, download Chrome, it is free like the others

Use Chrome as your browser, then come back and say Yipeeee

I am on Google Chrome, tried everything exept Firefox but I dont want to go to that one.

Hi

I'm getting the same problem on my PC - Hard Wired (with various browsers) and on my phone when connected to the Wifi, but was ok when not connected to Wifi (using the phone data).

As I've noticed many people having the same problem with the BT 6 Hub, I tried disconnecting my phone from the secure Wifi, and re-connected to the "BTWifi-with-FON" which is also from my BT Hub. This worked fine too, which makes me think that it has to have soemthing to do with the secure setting on the HUB.

As it's only the BMFA site that has the problem, it must be something to do with their setup.

Still sounds like a DNS resolution problem to me. Does anyone out there having the problem know how to change their DNS settings? If so, try the settings I gave above and see if that helps.

DNS is a server - usually provided by your internet provider (ISP) - that converts "BMFA.org" into numbers that the computer understands - a bit like a phone book for computers. Usually ISPs have their own DNS server, but I've found OpenDNS to be generally faster and more reliable. All you have to do is tell your computer (or router) to use that instead of the one that your ISP gives you. It will be in your internet settings somewhere (I'm not an expert on windoze!). Most people seem to leave it on "auto", but you can set it manually.

All my computers use OpenDNS and I've not had the problem. It may be a coincidence, but its worth trying...

--

Pete