Old Ripmax P-51 Mustang 600 ARTF

Tim Hickey

I have managed to source a new in box Ripmax P-51 Mustang 600 ARTF.

I believe these were discontinued in 2012 so quite rare.

This kit was originally designed for a speed 600 secured to the front horizontal ply bearers using a metal clamp arrangement.

I have got, what I think, is a direct replacement for the speed 600 being an Overlander BM600 brushless motor rated at 450w & 1500Kv & 60A esc.

Plenty of extra power over a speed 600 and more efficient.

I was looking to see if anyone out there has experience of the old Ripmax Mustang and what power system they used. I have seen people modify the front end to take an outrunner motor but was hoping to 'clamp' in the BM600 the same way as the old speed 600.

Ant comments or observations would be appreciated.

Thanks. Tim.

We collectively own and fly one of these at my club Tim

It is still on the speed 600 ! ! Powered by a pack one of the lads made.

It does fly very well for its size, but does not slow glide so the landing is quite hot but predictable.

The throttle is non linear due to the 600, in that the model has more control top end than lower settings

Our club secretary has the similar Spitfire which I'm almost sure flies well on 3S 2200 (I would say 4S 3900 is over the top in both voltage and weight). He uses a dolly for take off.

I think the brushed 600 motor was paired with a 7 cell NiCad (1.7 AH) in the original spec and the brushless/LiPo combo will be much lighter.

Geoff

• 2 months later...

Having been struggling for time I have finally finished the Mustang. I have to say it went together very well.

I ended up modifying the front end to take an outrunner. I used an Overlander T3536/05 1500KV 408W.

I put a firewall slotted between and over the existing beams with gussets to & bottom.

Have had a wattmeter on it and the figures looked ok. Around 40A at full tilt on a fully charged 4s lipo using an 8x4 prop. Peaked at a bit over 500W. Well overpowered but reckon it will easily fly on half throttle .

Question for Denis Watkins...

I am have a mare of a job getting it to balance anywhere near the 90-95mm back from LE where it meets the fuz (as per instructions). I have tried 4S 2800 & 3900 lipos in various positions. Denis, can you recall the cg position on your Mustang? was it as per instructions?

Just need to get it balanced then looking forward to the maiden.

Cheers.

After some thought looking at the figure I gave above... I may try it on a 3S lipo. Motor blurb says 30A esc (using a 40A) using 2-4s lipo.

Edited By Tim Hickey on 24/11/2018 16:15:58