Announcing Plans for the 2019 Mass Build

Hello and welcome to the 2019 Mass Build!!!

So, what's this all about then? Some of you will have done the Mass Build before, it dates back on here to 2010/11, but some of you will be new to this, so let me explain.

Our hobby has many facets but the two main ones are obviously flying and building models. The flying bit we usually manage OK but for many building, in the traditional sense, is a bit of a closed book. They are unsure where to start and maybe concerned about making a pig's ear of it!

Now you might say "with all these fantastic ARTF's around why would I want to build models the traditional way?" Good question! There are three reasons really:

1. Nothing, believe me nothing, can compare to the satisfaction of that first successful flight with a model that started life in your hands as just some planks and sticks of wood. It's a big thrill. And if you don't build you're missing out on that, which is a pity.

2. If you can build then your models will be truly individual. You can modify the design, you can add features. You choose the colour scheme and everything about the model. And the skills you learn will even help with your ARTF jobs as well. Repairs you might not have undertaken before become straight forward, conversions and adaptions of ARTF's to personalise them become possible.

3. It's just great fun! Simple as that.

OK, so how are you going to dip your toe in the water and do your first trad build? That's where the Mass Build comes in!

How this works is we select a suitable model, individual enough to be interesting, yet at the same time not too complex to build. We then build it, together, over a set period, all blogging our progress as we go. There will be a mixture of experienced builders and new builders taking part. The newbies follow along using the blogs of the experienced builders as a guide. And of course it goes without saying that they can ask questions and seek guidance directly - just by posting.

This format has worked very successfully in previous years with many folks successfully completing their first traditional build.

So what are the details?

At present the mod team, lead by Graham, are searching the catalogues for a suitably exciting model. Something that has all the elements of a trad build and expansion potential for the more experienced. It has to be aerobatic enough to be interesting fly, because we recognise that people may be new to building but they are not necessarily new to flying! We hope to have a model lined up, complete with a laser cut wood pack etc. for those that want that, by the later part of this year. We'll then give out all the details here.

That will give you plenty of time to get ready for the build itself which will start on 1st March 2019. While of course you are free to start when you wish in reality, we would ask you do not blog builds before that date. Why? Well a big part of the fun here is the whole "doing it together" thing - we are sharing an activity, solving the same problems side-by-side. If some go off at different times it really undermines the fun and the quality of the experience for others.

So from 1st March 2019 we all break out the balsa, clear the building board (or get a building board if we are very new to this!) and get building.

You have lots of time because we are going to have the official project end at the RCM&E Fly-in at Buckminister on 13th-15th Sept. 2019 where we will have a Mass Fly-in of hopefully loads of Mass Build models!! Now obviously you don't have to attend the fly-in to take part - the build is the thing - but we really do hope as many as possible will join us at Buckminister as it will be a great way to celebrate everyone's achievement.

So, there we have it. We do hope you will join in. Whether you are experienced, intermediate or completely new to building we will trying hard to make this Mass Build "something for you" - let's all have a lot fun building and flying a model together!

Watch this space for updates and further info.

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/09/2018 03:28:44

Hi Beb,

Just a thought, and referring back to your analysis of the MB Problem: When I was first learning to fly, I had an unfortunate "incident" which rendered the trainer "unavailable". With no substitute available, my instructor got out a Cougar 2000, which, oddly, I found easier to fly than the trainer, so the thought which occurs to me is why not look for a model of the same type as the Cougar 2000 which could have the potential to satisfy both the beginner and the more experienced flyer? Perhaps it could have two wing designs differing only in span to offer a true aerobatic design for the more experienced flyer using a more powerful motor and a greater wing span for the learner with a smaller motor.

William

P.S. Note to self: don't drink at lunch time......!

Posted by 2W on 23/09/2018 14:26:54:

Hi Beb,

Just a thought, and referring back to your analysis of the MB Problem: When I was first learning to fly, I had an unfortunate "incident" which rendered the trainer "unavailable". With no substitute available, my instructor got out a Cougar 2000, which, oddly, I found easier to fly than the trainer, so the thought which occurs to me is why not look for a model of the same type as the Cougar 2000 which could have the potential to satisfy both the beginner and the more experienced flyer? Perhaps it could have two wing designs differing only in span to offer a true aerobatic design for the more experienced flyer using a more powerful motor and a greater wing span for the learner with a smaller motor.

William

P.S. Note to self: don't drink at lunch time......!

William, I thought I would draw your attention to Mike Keay's Basic 3D (RCM&E, March 2006)- the plan has both 52 or 58in spans shown. Built originally for IC it has been leccyfied by numerous people. Add a cowl or trike landing gear if you wish and there is still plenty of scope for people 'doing their own thing' with this excellent model (CNC set is already available too). Not that I would wish to influence our Lords and Masters in any way - heaven forbid (or indeed start a discussion about which model devil).

I just thought I would add a little reminder about this sometimes overlooked classic angel

Hi all, I have been watching for a couple of years with one model stuck on the building board/corner for that long, lots of repairs and a few ARFT's that are noting like their description.

Strangely for me I don't think it matters too much what model is selected as you can never please all of the people at any time!

Timing wise is good as it gives me a chance and target to get everything else off the building board and it will be nice to meet up at the NC to see the others.

Just one general niggle from me...can we not have a plan that mentions NiCad's and brushed motors....wink

Hi Piers,

Thanks for that: exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. I did't re-start my modelling career until late 2007, so I didn't know about the Basic 3D. I don't know about the width of the fuselage, but with my hams-for-hands, space inside is generally a struggle.

William

My first thought was that 1st March is getting awfully close to the start of the flying season and that the MB would suffer as a result.

My second thought is that this may actually be a good thing. It will avoid the mad rush to get the build over and done as a cure for Yule induced Cabin Fever. Let people do their own thing at this time, then move on to the MB in March when people will have the odd weekend to spare when the weather is not fit for flying.

Got to be worth a try and it can't be worse than last year.

Yes very smart well done!

Well this time Paul we do seem to gathering a fair bit of a concesus on how to do this - so consider giving it go. Joining a team activity is one of those things where there are big pluses for a few little minuses! So while it means you can't just do anything you want - you have to play in the team - the bonus is lots of fun and support and the pleasure of completing something together.

Think about it, you might enjoy it!

BEB

When's the design to be announced?

I'd like to be in, but I'd need to start "early" - without blogging it - due to my ballistic snail's build pace.

I think the proposed "aerobatic enough to keep experienced guys happy, simple enough for early builders, with some scope for expansion" is a good idea, as is keeping one design.

Just scanning the mass build forum areas, Ballerina clearly hit quite a sweet spot in terms of size, power, performance and looks.

Nigel, we don't have a date for that yet - but it will be in plenty of time to order a wood kit and so on before a 1st March start.

BEB

PS If you really, really, need more than six months to build a small model (?) and plan to jump the gun, can I ask that you don't advertise your intentions. That just encourages others to do the same and before we know it the whole thing is undermined again and you're back to the meandering lack of focus and excitment that the MB has been in recent years. We can only keep this on-the-boil by having it over a more concentrated period with eveyone working together at the same time - we believe, based on experience, that 6 months is the maximum we can sustain. Anything else is just a collection of build blogs.

Thanks Nigel, that's great.

Yeap, been there with the career ladder to climb, a lot of overseas travel, two small kids and an elderly infirm relative who was very dependent on us. It wasn't easy, so I sympathise. But you know I found the shed an escape in those days - even if only for 30mins!

BEB

Thanks Gary, we'll look at that nearer the time - could have potential.

The problem is of course that a lot of us more experienced builders are a bit stuck in our ways! Some insist it has to be fuselage first "how can you fettle the fit of the wings if you don't have the fuselage?" Others are the opposite, the wings must be done first! etc. But as an idea its certainly worth tinking about. It could be vountary "follow this suggested order if you want alongside some others" etc.

BEB