Announcing Plans for the 2019 Mass Build

Er,...yeap SuperTigre. I'm not quite so blunt as you, but that is what the 2019 MB amounts to.

1. We (the mods along with the mag) select the model and we tell you what it is. There is no "second choice" you build this or you're not in the MB.

2. We (mods and mag) set the start and finish dates. Again if you don't like it, you don't have to play. But that's what it will be.

Now all this might sound a bit aggrogant - but just look at the chaos of "do whatever you like" got us into - it simply wasn't a Mass Build. So we're sort of "providing it as a complete package for you, a finished item for you guys as members" - you can buy into that package or not as you choose. But you take the whole package or none - if you want to be considered to be "doing the MB". No one's making anyone take part, no one is stopping anyone from taking part. But if you take take part you play by RCM&E's rules. Which, let's face it, aren't that dreadful!

Now there is just one complication here, what folks do in the privacy of their shed is out of our control (Oh Missus! Shades of Frankie Howard) - but we ask them not play a spoiler. If they do decide to do their own thing, and we hope that when we get down to it very few people will play outside the game because the rewards for playing inside will too great, at least don't spoil it for others.

That's the theory anyway!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/09/2018 16:16:10

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/09/2018 16:22:21:

Will there be Oatcakes ? PSSA lads had em. wink

There'll be oatcakes at the Ashbourne scale day! Hog roast? Think about we vegetarians

The mass build sounds interesting even though the proposed build period coincides with what is for some of us is the 'repair season' (otherwise known as the flying season). I haven't decided on my winter build yet I have options of Hurricanes (2 kits) Ryan ST100 or continuing my DH Moth theme - a Moth Minor from Belair. So 2 builds in 2019?

Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

I built Ballerina (MB2016) and Skywriter (MB2017). The format worked well for me I must say. I did not join the 2018 MB as the choice of models was not for me. Also Skywriter build and maiden was not until May 18 so I dragged my heals a bit. However I have 2 super models which I love flying.

Skywriter is a great size model as she stays made up and has done since 1st flight. I flew her at the Hobbyking flyin a month or so ago.

Will follow this thread with interest. I really like the idea of a meet at Buckminster.

Cheers

Peter

I have done every MB except for one (Skywriter). If the model choice is right then I'll be up for this one as well. My favourite by a long way was the Ballerina - scaled up by 115%. It is still my go-to model for days at the club.

The Astro Hog would be a good choice but its not a cheap build. It is a very big wing/model. I actually built one for the vintage Mass Build many years ago but it was 'lost' after a Rx switch failure crying

• 4 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENT COMING UP... Exciting eh? Anyone care to give this a little drum roll or light a firework? Right, a team decision has been made dear Mass Builders, and I say 'team decision' primarily so you don't just blame me if the subject is not to your liking. Anyway, we're going for Lindsay Todd's latest, rather evocative, little number called Renaissance. It's a good choice for any number of reasons, not least because it's a straightforward build, it flies jolly well, is infinitely adaptable, would suit a whole range of colour schemes, can be tweaked and titivated and, most importantly, it was an RCM&E free plan (July 2018) so there's every chance you'll already have the drawings. For those who don't like cutting ribs and formers, even better news comes in the form of a laser-cut wood pack from Sarik Hobbies. If you're not familiar with the model, I've included a few pics, below.

We genuinely hope you're inspired to have a go. It should be a lot of fun. More soon...

pic.1.jpg

pic.2.jpg

pic.3.jpg

Mr Ashby & Dave,

I'm only a digital subscriber, so I can't have a proper look at the drawing. angel

At 54" wingspan, it surely is a nice size for a MB.

But, IMHO, it reminds me instantly of Peter's Ballerina. But with a fuselage mounted u/c as I did mine at the time.

Taking the Ballerina drawing would allow quite easily to create the Renaissance except maybe for that 'strange' flat cowl bottom. The u/c seems to be the same as the Skywriter, another MB. Not that original, I'm afraid. indecision

May I wish you all the best with the 2019 MB though. smiley

Cheers

Chris