Announcing Plans for the 2019 Mass Build

Ron, Sarik's price of £129.50p includes the renaissance plan, CNC parts (£63.50) and additional wood pack to complete the model (priced at £45.50), whereas the Ballerina price of £70.50 is just the plan at £13 plus CNC part set at £57.50p. No additional wood pack. I think the renaissance plan is a trifle steep at £24.50 but perhaps RCM&E will include another copy of the plan in a future magazine issue before the March start date, for those that didn't get the July issue (shame on you wink 2)?

Unfortunately Piers I'm a digital subscriber so miss out on the plans! But even if you take out the additional wood cost of £40 (really?) it still comes out £20 more than the Ballerina, as you say the plans alone are £11 more! The cynic in me says that it is because it is the designated MB model!

Chaps, firstly, yes it is a little similar to the Ballerina and your observations are acknowledged and understood. That said, there are still many folk who didn't build a Ballerina and the hope (for all the reasons mentioned) is that this might encourage them to have a go at a build. Of course, the open cockpit, single seat, low wing monoplane will always be popular and no matter what variation to choose, be it Turbulent, Fly Baby, Volksplane, Taylor or even Ryan, they're all 'of a kind'. The other thing I'd like to mention is that whilst many will want to but it as it is, those of you with a bit of experience are very welcome to adapt the design and come up with a variation. A biplane version would be terrific, tandem cockpits could look cool, a parasol wing even? Maybe an autogyro and ditch the wing altogether? Enclose the cockpit, add struts and a spray bar and it's a crop sprayer. Anyway, you don't need me for ideas. Personally, I think it would look great with a twin cylinder engine, struts, spats and dancing girls. But that's just me. Anyway, we hope you build one, if only for the 'taking part'.

Piers: I'm with you in the shaming thing. wink Mind you, I believe we still have back issues of the March cover available. The plan won't be published again, sadly, but when the March issue is sold out I'm sure they'll be old coffee stained copies kicking around club huts for years to come.

Old Geezer: Definitely bigger wheels.

Ron: You old cynic. Sarik's prices were independently set well before they knew it was the MB model. In fact, I'm not even sure I've told them. Must do that...

Thanks for your interest and feedback everyone, it's all appreciated.

Graham

Sarik are currently doing a 10% discount off all their products if you use the coupon code NOV18, at the checkout. That would make the cost of the Renaissance complete short kit £116.55 (plus p & p). Also Graham smile d may (?) be able to twist their arm into doing a special price for the MB (special, as in lower!).

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/11/2018 14:20:11

Up at the flying field today and a colleague seemed to think that Sarik had made a mistake on their complete kit and had doubled up on some of the wood (CNC - additional wood)! Anyway he has the plans being a paper subscriber so if I do decide on it that would save costs plus I should have sufficient additional wood laying around but of not SLEC are only 20 mins away!

I am behind on the Mass Build (as usual) and for me it is too close to the Ballerina that I did not build in the end but might do enlarged one day to take a Saito twin I have lounging in its box.

This one is not for me so I have a plan available. If anyone would like to PM me am would be pleased to send the plan and a copy of the instructions.

Levanter

I think the idea is you don't start sticking stuff together until March time.

Obviously, anyone going with the Sarik CNC pack will have all their parts cut for them. Perhaps getting a kit ready isn't going to ruin the build, but I guess the spirit of the thing is that everyone starts logging their build in March.

Nice design. It reminds me of the old Ruhig Tigre. Lots of scope to easily change the fuselage outline (different shape decks & canopy).

I think it would look great if done in the style of the Der Jager bipe. With scalloped ailerons, tail feathers like a Fokker triplane, spats and everything, flat 4 sticking out of the cowl with the big chin scoop. Also I love the yellow with black crosses colour scheme on that.

Edited By Nigel R on 23/11/2018 10:28:58

I intend to get all the bits together and then put them under the bench ready to start in March

Then the really hard bit for me is to pull my finger out and finish one model that I have left part build for 3 years + service and mod the rest of the fleet read for next year. So it its going to push me along so everything done and then treat the MB as a learning exercise in balsa building.

Chaps, for anyone who wants to join the build live online, the March start date gives everyone a chance to clear the decks, order parts, cut parts or whatever is necessary to be ready for the off. Absolutely nothing stopping you from starting earlier if you fancy, photographing as you go along and adding relevant posts at the appropriate time when it all gets going. That's probably what I'd do because I just procrastinate over building and take forever. Anyway, it really doesn't matter. Taking part is what counts and if you can make it to the fly-in with a finished model, so much the better, we'll be delighted to see you and especially delighted to see your Renaissance.

wink

Edited By Graham Ashby (Editor) on 23/11/2018 20:55:13

• 3 weeks later...

Hello from Australia.

I'm in. I would probably fall into the beginner category so looking forward to the experience of the 2019 Mass Build and hopefully picking up as much knowledge and wisdom from the group as I can. Who knows, I may even end up with a plane that actually flies at the end of it.

I will be building mine as an electric so hopefully there are few others doing the same that i can tap into their experience.

Thanks everyone.

I'm in - At what point does it stop being the Renaissance? I've been wanting to add an aerobatic biplane to my hangar for a while now. In a biplane configuration this would have a passing resemblance to a Pitts or similar. I know it's not as simple as dropping another wing on top, but is it doable?

I'm moving house beforehand I can even think about another build- she thinks it's for a bigger kitchen, but the reality is that the garage is much bigger!

Merry Christmas everyone.

Welcome to the Forum Robert and good luck with the house move. I moved house six months ago and use the garage as my man cave/model building room. Just be aware that in the winter, garages can be very cold and unwelcoming although OK in the Summer. I installed a large radiator in mine as that is where the boiler is located. The main problem with a garage is the lack of insulation and the cold coming through the concrete floor and drafts round the door. A well insulated shed may be a better option.

Have fun with the Renaissance build, regardless of how many wings it has! yes

Posted by ROBERT BURLACE on 22/12/2018 09:42:34:

Thanks Piers.

I have plans to insulate the garage and install a small heater of some sort too. There is no plumbing to the garage but there is the possibility of PV cells on the roof!

Good luck to you too.

Research your PV cell idea thoroughly Robert, for lighting they are one thing, but for heat are very expensive

A good hot room heater is around 4kw, so toy around with that as a guideline

2kw is barely adequate during a deep cold spell, just do the sums 1st

• 1 month later...

Hi, I have very recently started flying models but have built a couple of rubber powered in the recent past so I am a complete novice looking to learn. I have ordered a kit from Sarin and like others am waiting for the delivery. My question surrounds the other things I am going to need. I am planning on going electric but have no idea of the motor size I will need, servos, cables etc. I am trying to plan ahead a little and thinking I should have parts ready for when I need them. I have the build articles in RCM&E and this thread but can find no mention of what else I will need. Any help offered will be greatly accepted. Thanks everyone.