Kingtech K-80 ECU setup

Christian Hollyer

I've got a Kingtech K-80 turbine with the 'old-style' ECU and I'm using a Hitec Aurora 9. I've set the radio up per, and configured the ECU for diesel in accordance with the instruction manual. Problem is, as soon as I power up the ECU (with all batteries plugged in), the engine starts to spool up and looking at the peak revs during that spool up, I think the ECU is in cool-down mode (the engine has not been run so far). I live in Florida and the ambient temperature is quite high (30C at the time) and that is above the 28C cool-down threshold for the ECU. I cannot alter this value, nor can I, incidentally run the pump to prime it or test starter.

The spool up only stops when I disconnect the starter battery; in other words, throttle stick and trim position make no difference. One other potential problem, perhaps, is, that while the radio appears set up on the ECU, the Hitec 9 throttle trim cannot be moved when the stick is over 50% position. I have to set the trim full up and then move the stick full up to set up the 'trim highstick high' mode; I can't do them at the same time.

I wonder of that is 'confusing' the system. Any ideas? An internet search finds nothing about it and the manual is...challenging.