Phoenix Models Snowy-E

Andy Sephton 1

I'm not sure whether this is the right place or not for this one, but it's a build thread for a slope trainer that's been up-graded to electric power by the manufacturer. I'm building it because the Company was recommended to me in another thread where I was after a cheap, quick to build wing to try out some covering ideas. I've solved that problem elsewhere, but while looking through the recommendations, I came across this one. It'll be ideal for my Club's evening powered glider sessions and also for the FF area at Old Warden where RC guided FF models are allowed.

The kit is pretty much complete and includes what you would expect in a laser cut kit. The plan is good and the instructions concise but clear.

I decided to start on the fuselage - a nice touch in the instructions reminds the builder to make up two sides! My own technique is to mark each side on the inner face with it's orientation. There is also a good reminder to sand the ply parts prior to construction to ensure they are clear of any release again. Anyway, I've glued the relevant bits to the inside of the ply fuselage halves, drilled the latter fo the wing dowels, put a slot in the rear of the left panel for the elevator snake, drilled holes in F3 for the snakes, and made up former F2. This is the result:

img_7173.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

This one has been progressing slowly over the past two weeks.

There was no advice on the plan as to how the extra front former should be fitted so I contacted the manufacturer. The second former is to increase the glued area for the engine mount, give more strength to the front end and to protect the motor shaft at the rear. The plan has since been modified and the modified version posted on the manufacturers website - If only all manufacturers were so pro-active!!!

Anyway, I've joined the fuselage sides, added the top panel to the rear and the bottom panel at the front. My aim is to 'finish' the top rear of the fuselage before drilling the hole for the rudder snake, then as the underside is still open, I can add the rudder and elevator snakes and fix them internally to the fuselage. (not sure why, but the first picture has posted upside down??) :

img_7182.jpeg

img_7242.jpeg

img_7243.jpeg

img_7244.jpeg

I've started the wings with the inner panels. The instructions are quite clear as to how to progress, but my method for fixing the position of the wing ribs may help future constructors. After pinning down the lower spar, lower LE sheeting and lower TE strip, the correct ribs were identified and laid over the plan:

img_7239.jpeg

The root rib dihedral template was then clearly marked as to which angle was appropriate for which root rib.

img_7240.jpeg

A rib was then placed on the wing with it's upper slot centralised on the lower spar and the position of the LE and TE marked. After doing this at various points along the wing, a line could be drawn indicating the front and rear positions of the rib.

img_7245.jpeg

The ribs were then glued in position, followed by the upper spar and root spar webs. I'm using a white PVA type glue for the build.

img_7247.jpeg

The upper TE strips need tapering. I first marked the taper edge with a pencil line

img_7248.jpeg

then cut the taper with a razor plane, finishing with a sanding block. The strip was supported on the edge of the workbench for the process.

img_7249.jpeg

I then added the remainder of the spar webs and glued the upper TE strip in place. The latter is held in place by two 1/4" strips which will be removed with the pins when the wing is dry.

img_7269.jpeg

• 5 weeks later...

I've been doing bits and pieces to this one while building a Fury as part of Danny Wynne Felton's Masterclass. At this point, I realise that I've got well ahead with the model without posting....I also neglected to take appropriate photos! Anyway, it is what it is and this is the current state:

All four wing panels have been completed, the pic shows the fixing of the upper LE sheeting. I've used scrap 1/4" strip to pin the sheet to the structure at the front and rear of the sheeting. Note the packing under the TE of each wing tip panel to build in the required washout.

img_7491.jpeg

The empennage has been rough carved, note the triangular section of the control surfaces.

img_7524.jpeg

I've fitted the snakes to the fuselage, attached the top and bottom faces and added the hatch at the front end. The whole has been rough carved to section, sanding next.

img_7525.jpeg

The wing panels have been joined, the tips added and rough carved, the root sheeting added and cap strips added to top and bottom of the ribs. Sanding next.

img_7526.jpeg

• 3 months later...

A colleague's invite to a slope session on the second Sunday in March prompted the finishing of this one. Accordingly, I got on with the build rather than the taking of photos! In the end, the weather beat us to it and the said day proved to be too windy for test flying.

The model was sanded and servos fitted. With the wings on to check squareness, the tailplane was fitted and when dry, the fin set at 90 degrees to the latter:

img_9630.jpeg

After a concentrated sanding session, a test assembly produced:

img_9637.jpeg

I spotted some Easycoat covering at only £10 for a 5m roll of seconds, so rolls of red and yellow were procured. The yellow went on like a dream, but the red turned out to be a nightmare ... perhaps that's why it was assessed as a 'second'. I managed to easily cover both sides of the flying surfaces with one sheet of covering with the yellow - the following pic shows a half covered elevator and a half covered wing root panel.

img_9647.jpeg

The covered model with servos fitted now looked like this - note the wrinkles in the red covering, especially round the nose!

img_9653.jpeg

I fitted the motor for nose weight, although the esc has not yet been wired in. As the first flights were going to be on the slope, the motor wasn't required.

img_9660.jpeg

So, all I need to do now is wire in the esc and it'll be ready to test on the flat. It also looks like the nose cowl could do with a lick of paint ... probably red ... but that'll probably be after the first test flights.

• 2 months later...

Well...she's flown, and very successful she's been, too! The model flew 'off the board' with no trim required on the glide. The control effectiveness was good and the balance of the controls nice.

The only minor issue I've had is that the model pitches up quite strongly with power, so there is a large trim change when engine off in the glide. Moving the C of G back and/or more down thrust may solve the issue, but that's for the future. In the meantime, I'm really enjoying the model!

img_9819.jpeg

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 27/05/2019 08:18:14