Jon's 2018 Tucano Build

Jon Robb

Following on from the success of the 2013 Mass build and what appears to be a highly enjoyed plane. I am staring my first ever build log of my second balsa plane build. Being a fairly slow builder, updates may be sporadic however I shall keep this thread updated as I go along.

I have made a start today cutting on the wing pieces. You will notice the LE and TE strips have been left slightly long so they can be trimmed perfectly flush once glued to the centre section, ready for attaching the wing-tip which will then be shaped to the required profile.

Wing Parts

Tomorrow I shall be working on my fuselage jig, which is a home made Aerotek version and should help greatly in the overall build process.

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I made some progress on the wings. You will notice I have added a spruce LE to the wings as Nigel used in his later designs, this should help prevent dings to the wing. It also meant a softer balsa could be used for the LE piece.

One wing half 90% shaped, just have to round the LE and TE just before the joining process. I will work on shaping the second wing half in the week. It was a bit of a learning process using the balsa plane, having never used one before, however I found it very good for removing the bulk of the material.

img_9521.jpg