horus x10

SONNY MONKS

As Geoff says, there is so much support for OpenTx out there with hundreds of videos and documents on every aspect of setups from the simple to super-complex with multiple mixes and flight modes etc. I'm sure FrOS is quite capable but I found it difficult to find much support out there (I guess it's relatively new).

I found the process of moving to OpenTx from FrOS a bit daunting but again, there are many videos available to guide you through the process and once you are there, a Google search gives you everything you ever wanted (and quite a bit you never thought you wanted).

Thought I'd chime in here as someone who's used both OpenTX and the FrSky operating systems.
I'm fairly new to the FrOS, but have to say that it's done everything asked of it so far with only a little bit of getting used to it.
I've yet to transfer my all-singing, all-dancing glider programme over to the X10 with the FrOS, but apart from that it's done standard 6 ch models and deltas with ease.

Im struggling setting up my throttle,my servo has been set neutral,as normal,but when i set the end points on the x10,it ends up been full throttle,with the stick just over half way,and also my throttle cut wont activate now,when i flick the switch,but does,befor i mess with the end points,im a bit puzzled!!

Get your mechanical throw, near perfect 1st Sonny, before introducing the Radio

Set the pushrod length, in the servo and throttle arm holes, whereby a neutral setting allows the throttle to open and close fully

Then mess with the TX

No amount of wizard TX will overcome an incorrect mechanical setup

You know this

Edited By Denis Watkins on 27/10/2018 07:59:21

Sonny, I would really like to help you with questions like that, but altough I have a Horus X10s, I know nothing about FrOS. I took FrOS off my Horus probably within an hour of taking it out of the box so I could install OpenTX.

Now fair enough you can address your question to those who do use FrOS. The problem is I suspect that is quite a small percentage of Horus users. Perhaps we could have a quick show of hands as to how many FrOS uses we have on here?

BEB

Well I’m still using FrOS atm. Very pleased with it actually and not found anything I can not do yet that makes me want to go to OpenTx. Only had a couple months experience but feel free to ask questions.

When you get to it btw the directory names on the SD card for model images and sound tracks are not the same as for opentx and I had to search a bit to find the right ones. The sound tracks you can download from open tx on the SD card download work of course once in the right place. You will probably need a text to speech converter for when you want to record your own warning/switch announcements. Several out there but not all output the correct format. Some of that depends on the type of computer you use.

Probably enough for now.

Tim

Hi Tim,Im not sure i will be going for the soundtracks etc,im more interested in a more reliable tx and rx,unlike the spektrum dx6 i have just got rid of,i had nothing but headaches with,along with more people im sure will agree,and some who have been lucky with spektrum,unfortunately i wasnt.

Sonny,

well hopefully you will be happy with the Horus I know I have been. Soundtrack btw is only a glorified term for an audio file that plays when you set one of the switches/alarms/warnings. Let’s you know when you have changed rates, flaps or set throttle safe , gear up/down, exceeded battery limits etc. Saves looking at the Tx or it’s screen and can be quite reassuring when flying.

Anyway enjoy and ask away if you need any help.

Tim

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 27/10/2018 13:55:41:

Perhaps we could have a quick show of hands as to how many FrOS uses we have on here?

OpenTX for me.

I think I was even quicker than you, BEB, in installing it in place of FrOS. I'm sure FrOS is perfectly capable, but as I was upgrading from a Taranis and so already used to OpenTX it was a no-brainer for me to install OpenTX...

I'm a bit late picking up this thread, but a few comments on points made earlier. I mostly use X8Rs along with a couple of the X4Rs in gliders. One glider uses a "traditional" 4-cell NiMH battery, the other also had an elderly 4-cell NiMH that I recently replaced with a 5-cell NiMH as the old one was well past its best! The joys of telemetrry include being able to monitor what the Rx battery is up to. And the only reason I chose a 5-cell replacement is that the price difference was minimal and the extra weight was also useful - I could remove a chunk of lead from the model!

As for reliability, it's all been fine. I first got into FrSky gear after being a long-term Futaba user when I bought some of the FrSky Fasst-compatible receivers at about half (or less) the price of a Futaba equivalent. They worked just fine, so when the Taranis came out with the total flexibility of OpenTX and telemetry, I 'jumped ship'. And then bought the Horus earlier this year.

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 27/10/2018 15:29:02:

Hi Tim,Im not sure i will be going for the soundtracks etc,im more interested in a more reliable tx and rx,unlike the spektrum dx6 i have just got rid of,i had nothing but headaches with,along with more people im sure will agree,and some who have been lucky with spektrum,unfortunately i wasnt.

I use a program called TTSAutomate which is free and is fairly easy to use. I've made a few messages which suit me (including a welcome message which has my name ) but it's very flexible though to get a satisfactory pronunciation some slightly eccentric spellings are needed.

I suppose it would work with the Frsky OS as well but I don't know as I use OpenTX.

Geoff