Hi

ddoherty958

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a link to the British Model Flying Association and if you click on the Club Finder you will be able to find your nearest model flying club. The net is good but nothing beats speaking to fellow enthusiasts face to face if you want advice. Your other thread asks about B737 kits. Would your interest be in B737 gliders (slope soarers), Electric Ducted Fans or gas turbines?

Hi Posted by Piers Bowlan on 21/10/2018 20:42:37:

Hi and welcome to the forum. This is a link to the British Model Flying Association and if you click on the Club Finder you will be able to find your nearest model flying club. The net is good but nothing beats speaking to fellow enthusiasts face to face if you want advice. Your other thread asks about B737 kits. Would your interest be in B737 gliders (slope soarers), Electric Ducted Fans or gas turbines?

Thanks for the link, I’ll look into it. As for the B737 I don’t really mind as long as it’s not a glider. I don’t like gliders.

@steve Hargreaves if you have any advice on first planes that don’t look to childish and not too expensive I’d love to hear it!

Here is a Windrider B737 Flying in Hong Kong. Twin electric ducted fans and the airframe is foam (EPO- Expanded Poly Olefin). Not for the faint-hearted!

I wouldn't dismiss gliders until you have tried them, many find it addictive. Here are a few slope soarers (PSS) in action. You can't buy these, you have to build them from Balsa/ply from this plan.

Some people consider 'grown men playing with toy aeroplanes' childish, including the model Virgin B747 you linked to in your Boeing 737 thread. Don't be deceived by appearances, even 'childish looking' models can be challenging to fly. 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/10/2018 06:45:12

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 22/10/2018 06:16:58:

Here is a Windrider B737 Flying in Hong Kong. Twin electric ducted fans and the airframe is foam (EPO- Expanded Poly Olefin). Not for the faint-hearted!

I wouldn't dismiss gliders until you have tried them, many find it addictive. Here are a few slope soarers (PSS) in action. You can't buy these, you have to build them from Balsa/ply from this plan.

Some people consider 'grown men playing with toy aeroplanes' childish, including the model Virgin B747 you linked to in your Boeing 737 thread. Don't be deceived by appearances, even 'childish looking' models can be challenging to fly.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 22/10/2018 06:45:12

Thanks for the tips, I’ll keep them in mind. As for the gliders I might warm to them.

OK Darragh let' see if we can't put together a road map to sucess for you.

1. Something you need to know, flying RC planes looks easy, it isn't! It is possible to go out, buy a model and teach yourself by trial and error, but there will be a a lot of errors and it'll certainly be trial that will end up probably costing you a lot of money in crashed aeroplanes! The best plan is to join a club. Clubs have instructors and tutition is free! They will fly with you using something called a "Buddy Box" that means you can fly the model, but at the flick of switch they will have contol. So its sort of dual controls for model aeroplanes. Doing this you will make fewer erorrs and not have to "pay the price" for those you do make because the instructor can save yoir bacon!

2. Don't buy anything (particularly radio gear) until you get to the club you want to join, then take their advice. The reason for this they will advise you to buy a make that is popular in their club. That means: they know how it works and can tell you, you can buddy with their kit because they are fully compatable and finally the local model shop probably has loads of them and knows the product so can also help and support you.

3. Regarding an aeroplane. You need what is known as a trainer, these are models specifically designed for learners, they fly a little slower (giving you time to react) and they have a high degree of natural stability. Most of them look great - I know lots of experienced fliers who still dig out their old trainer now and then just for fun. You can buy trainers made from foam or, more traditionally, from wood (usually a mixture of balsa and ply. I have mentioned two of them on your 737 thread - they're just two examples). Whether you go for foam or wood is up to you, but I would make the following points a) don't buy a model that weighs less than about 2Kg, NI is a windy place, light models just get blown around like empty plastic bags! b) personally I would recommmend that you go for electric power. Nothing wrong with IC but I does mean you have two things to learn, engine management and flying, instead of just one. Electric is simplier for most beginners and a good set up will give you 8-10 flights (plenty long enough for a beginner). That's my view of course but in support of it all I can say is that in my club (where I am an instructor) I tend to see electric power beginners progressing much faster with their flying skills than their IC cousins. There is plenty of time to learn all about engines later - at present it's about learning to fly!

OK, there we go, try that. It's a route that has been trodden by very many and for good reason - it tends to lead to sucess!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/10/2018 10:09:38:

OK Darragh let' see if we can't put together a road map to sucess for you.

1. Something you need to know, flying RC planes looks easy, it isn't! It is possible to go out, buy a model and teach yourself by trial and error, but there will be a a lot of errors and it'll certainly be trial that will end up probably costing you a lot of money in crashed aeroplanes! The best plan is to join a club. Clubs have instructors and tutition is free! They will fly with you using something called a "Buddy Box" that means you can fly the model, but at the flick of switch they will have contol. So its sort of dual controls for model aeroplanes. Doing this you will make fewer erorrs and not have to "pay the price" for those you do make because the instructor can save yoir bacon!

2. Don't buy anything (particularly radio gear) until you get to the club you want to join, then take their advice. The reason for this they will advise you to buy a make that is popular in their club. That means: they know how it works and can tell you, you can buddy with their kit because they are fully compatable and finally the local model shop probably has loads of them and knows the product so can also help and support you.

3. Regarding an aeroplane. You need what is known as a trainer, these are models specifically designed for learners, they fly a little slower (giving you time to react) and they have a high degree of natural stability. Most of them look great - I know lots of experienced fliers who still dig out their old trainer now and then just for fun. You can buy trainers made from foam or, more traditionally, from wood (usually a mixture of balsa and ply. I have mentioned two of them on your 737 thread - they're just two examples). Whether you go for foam or wood is up to you, but I would make the following points a) don't buy a model that weighs less than about 2Kg, NI is a windy place, light models just get blown around like empty plastic bags! b) personally I would recommmend that you go for electric power. Nothing wrong with IC but I does mean you have two things to learn, engine management and flying, instead of just one. Electric is simplier for most beginners and a good set up will give you 8-10 flights (plenty long enough for a beginner). That's my view of course but in support of it all I can say is that in my club (where I am an instructor) I tend to see electric power beginners progressing much faster with their flying skills than their IC cousins. There is plenty of time to learn all about engines later - at present it's about learning to fly!

OK, there we go, try that. It's a route that has been trodden by very many and for good reason - it tends to lead to sucess!

BEB

Thank you so much for all the help, I’m going to go to my local club ( NWMAC) on Saturday and try out their trainer. I can’t wait! Thanks again!

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 22/10/2018 12:36:48:

Darragh

I can only amplify what BEB said. Unlike birds flying anything is not a 'natural' ability for humans and in some respects flying RC planes is just as difficult as flying full size so be prepared to learn a new skill.

There is nothing quite like it when you have! smile p

I know what you mean. I have a flight “simulator” at home and I’m not too bad at it and when I seen the RCM&E magazine in Eason’s I thought “perfect!”

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 22/10/2018 10:09:38:

Electric is simplier for most beginners and a good set up will give you 8-10 flights (plenty long enough for a beginner).

BEB

Hope you don't mind me poking my oar in here BEB but I think a word has escaped from your post? I assume you mean "8-10 minute flights" ... otherwise I feel rather sorry for the instructors in your club if that number of flights is the norm!

Check out all the planes from Flitetest. You can build them from plans or buy their speed-build kits. They're cheap, robust and easy to fly. for every plane, they show a build video with exact instructions how to build, setup and fly them. I would start with the Simple Scout with three channels (no ailerons), then progress to the Sportster. You'll probably never want another plane after that.

You can print out their plans on A4 paper, tile it, tape it to the foam-board, then cut out the shapes. It's really dead easy and these planes fly as well as any. You can get the motor, propeller and ESC for about £7. The servos are about a fiver each for decent ones and the board is about £2.50 a sheet, and you need about 2 1/2 sheets for those planes. That comes to about £30 for the whole plane, maybe £35 if you include undercarriage and other bits.

Here's a build video so you can see what's involved:

Here's an example of the fun you'll have when you've built one. Note how many times they crash it and it still flies.You can skip the first 3 mins:

Edited By Dave Hess on 25/10/2018 15:44:25

Ok so I went to my model club today. Unfortunately the man who has the club trainer wasn’t there so I have to wait until next week to try it (conditions were perfect, no clouds, sunny, no wind at all) but even going there, soaking in the atmosphere, having a chat and looking at the planes was fantastic. Everyone was great. Can’t wait till next Sunday!!! Club: North West Model Aircraft Club (Northern Ireland)