Decided on 60cc aircraft expressly designed for electric flight

I finally decided to plump for this 60 cc aircraft from the Extreme Flight stable of 3DHobbyshop today.

**LINK**

Three phones call later and an undertaking from DHL to deliver tomorrow I am starting to think about what to fit her out with. More on that tomorrow after delivery.

However, I have thought about investing in these

**LINK**countrycode=GB&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrNKz8ZuX3gIVYrXtCh0PGQ_uEAYYASABEgKpXPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Some guys in the USA are using them in this aircraft. Never used Zippys, so any thoughts welcome.

Adrian

I've been using Zippy's for a few years and they are good. I started with Zippy Compacts but found that the Zipply Flite Max (the Compacts are the same but in a slightly different shape) are just as good and cheaper.

Ah, slight problem, they don't list FlightMax at 6C only up to 5C.

Peter

Edited By Peter Jenkins on 23/10/2018 00:22:23

Thanks gents for the Zippy feedback.

Interestingly, for a custom designed electric aircraft the AUW is noted at 8.4-9.0kg while my other two I/C 50-60cc electric conversions ( GW Sbach & Corvus) are meant to have an AUW of 7.5-8.1kg! It will be interesting to see how the Extra's airframe manufacturing integrity measures up bearing in mind the cost of kit compared to the GoldWing's (which I love by the way). I will post some pictures of the bits and pieces later in the day. DHL arrival slated between 11.36-12.36 this morning. smile p

I've used 6s 5000mAh Zippy batterries and frankly would consider them my "go-to" flight battery now. Holding capacity and balace and no signs whatsoever of puffing.

BEB

PS So, are you sitting on a stool in the hall, just behind the front door "In case I miss him"!! Enjoy. It looks great. Really looking forward to following the project.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 23/10/2018 09:03:16

Firstly, I can confirm that Probuild UK is very much alive and kicking and doing well! The 24 hour turnaround on this order was outstanding. Of course DHL had something to do with it too. Andy at PB was helpful during our telephone conversations particularly when sorting out why PB’s website didn’t add the VAT to the final total despite my being in the UK. (I wish the first total was the right one!)

The model arrived in 3 boxes, cowl, wings & fuselage + bits. All I can say is wow! I can see what I am paying for.

Let’s start with the cowl. The paint quality is excellent and wire grill is added below the prop driver outlet. Nice touch. Additionally, the spar supporting the rearward vent is carbon fibre reinforced.

p1050382.jpg

p1050383.jpg

The the fuselage internals are also C/F clad. Very impressive.

p1050400.jpg

One job I did do today was measure the distance from the motor wall and the prop driver outlet which stands at 160 mm. I will use that measurement to calculate the standoffs I will need depending on the chosen motor. Side thrust is built in by the way and is marked to fit the XPWR 60cc equivalent electric motor. Not sure what I am going for here yet.

p1050401.jpg

Edited By Adrian Smith 1 on 23/10/2018 15:54:04

I have started by making up 2x 40" servo leads for the elevators, plus plus 2 x 9" servo leads for the ailerons. Given that I intend to locate the RX just behind the main wing tube as thats were the tray is, I should get away with just the Rudder servo lead unextended. If not I have a spare short lead. which will suffice.

As to the servos I have gone for 5 of these:-

**LINK**

I phoned HobbyPlastic (Macgregor) to ask why the big discount and the explanation came back that the servos were bought in to be sold with a specific kit it stocked. However, most of the kits were sold without servos so it was left with a load of servos which were no longer to be stocked in future, hence the large discount. Hmmmm .... hope that's the case. I liked them because of the hefty 30kg torque at 7.4v, brushless and seemed quite robust. I was going to buy a couple of extra servo horns of bigger length, but the guy I spoke to wasn't sure which servo horns were compatible with this type of servo. Well I have selection of makes such as Futaba, Hitec and Savox so I will have to test them to see which is the correct fit.