Some nice engines for sale

I have had plenty of experience with starting diesels in the past but not twins . As a guess I would slacken off the compression on both cylinders so that neither would fire. Assuming the engine would start on one cylinder I would then increase the compression on one cylinder and go through the usual procedure of starting by flipping over the prop with a large propeller fitted. Once started on one cylinder, I would then gradually increase the compression on the other cylinder until it also fired. Then I would adjust the needle valve for optimum performance and slacken off the compression on both cylinders as necessary as the engine warms up. Anyone agree ?

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 28/10/2018 13:31:52

Mike is pretty much on the money if the settings have been lost. The Taplin Twins came in a box that had a large label fixed across the engine ,that had to be torn away to get the engine out . It read " PLEASE READ INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE CHANGING ANY OF THE SETTING" or words to that effect. The engines were factory set to start but obviously had to be run in and settings adjusted. To start diesels you need "The Knack" and an ear for an engine that only comes with experience . Anyone who has played with them will know what I mean . Starters are taboo and can destroy a model diesel in seconds

They were /are nice engines if you belong to the " Order of the Oily Hand Society " and like diesels . Collectors love them and I'll be very interested to see what the final price is . I put a old water cooled Taplin Mk1 with green heads that run but needed attention on Ebay a few years ago and that made over £200 much to my surprise.back in the 1950's run Model boats at Clapham Common with very primitive carrier wave Radio Control . the RXwasa valve set made from plans in the RCM&E by a friends dad. I couldnt afford a Taplin but managed to get a marine ED Hunter (half a Taplin Twin) as the early cylinders were made for Taplin by ED Great engine

Yea, for that money you can get a modern motor. And I bet a hundred hours of use and while a modern motor is still considered new, the Taplin would be tired. But back then, the Taplin at least started, and ran, idled and went vrooom.

Which was a country mile better than a lot of the scrap we were sold.

Posted by Don Fry on 28/10/2018 16:19:52:

Yea, for that money you can get a modern motor. And I bet a hundred hours of use and while a modern motor is still considered new, the Taplin would be tired. But back then, the Taplin at least started, and ran, idled and went vrooom.

Which was a country mile better than a lot of the scrap we were sold.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………

like the scap comment...Agree also..smiley …… bet the twin go's for circa £500.

ken anderson...ne...1.... scrap dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/10/2018 17:11:07

But in all fairness Ken, and you might be right, I even serpent ( read suspect) you would fail if you bid, it's going for more than that . But will you be bidding? I'm out, buy a Laser, OS, Saito me.

I wish the inventor of spellcheckers a hot corner in hell, without a dictionary.

Or Evan, as a real second thought, a whole collection of ASP, SC, MAGNUM biros

Edited By Don Fry on 28/10/2018 17:24:47

Edited By Don Fry on 28/10/2018 17:27:05

Edited By Don Fry on 28/10/2018 17:27:44

not long ago(in a galaxy) you and I live in Don,there was a one went for near £600 i'm sure...may be collectors-with loads of dosh...……….. I have a couple of old jetex engines anyone can have--for £100..... collectors jobs, key ring charms, conversation piece's...… come on...... bargain... I hear you think not.

ken anderson...ne...1...bling collectors dept.

Well the Taplin Twin went for £483. A motor that was built some time in the 1960's has never run and will almost certainly never be run. It will likely just become an ornament. I have several MDS motors which can be used as ornaments for much less than £483smiley

Now where's that thread about when does a model become too expensive?

I flew a Taplin Twin in a Powerhouse. Flew it quite well in calm conditions. Started easily on one pot and then bring the second one in. (I later fitted a Merco 61. (Not a tremendous change in performance)

No gloves or anything, just a normal hand start

But then we started everything by hand many years ago normally with bare fingers too, you just had to develop the really fast flick. All the bad accidents happened once the engine was running.

I used to hand start a Super Tigre G21/29 speed engine running on 20% nitro and a 7X10 (7" diameter) wood prop and it never bit me. As I say, you developed a really fast flick!

Edited By Peter Miller on 28/10/2018 18:21:44

I disagree with several of the remarks made above. A properly set up Taplin Twin does start in just one flick, every time.

It's true that it's a bit heavy of course, but this is OK in a short nosed vintage model, and the TT is an ideal power plant for something like a Radio Queen or a KK Falcon.

You can see the one-flick starting in this video. Apologies for the video quality. It was shot in an old format and has been "converted" several times... but the engine is superb. No engine is easier to start than a TT, not even a Mills...

**LINK**

Posted by Don Fry on 28/10/2018 20:45:00:

I don't disagree, it a nice motor. But £480 is a serious outlay to steer a KK Falcon round. What do you need, with a modern motor, to do that?

Yes Don, but there are still a few people who like to see old timers flying with lovely old vintage engines, and I'm one!

I agree about not paying £480 (and a Mk I or II would have been more expensive) just to steer a model around but, I've been collecting and playing with these old engines since they were current, so there aren't many that I don't have, without paying serious money.

Another important point, for our "modern" RC flying is that there aren't many real vintage engines that have a throttle.
I can only think of the TT (and the RC throttle comes from its boat heritage), plus the Mills 1.3 and Forster 99, both of which had throttles intended for timer operation. OK, there's aftermarket stuff for ED Racers and Hunters, etc. but that doesn't count as old timer!

Anyway, the TT is a superb engine. In my earlier post, I shouldn't have used the word "flick" for starting... a gentle shove is all that's required.