Dennis Bryant Miles Magister Balance point?

martin collins 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Martin I'm new here. I'm rebuilding a 67in Magister and I'm not sure whether it's as yours -Denis Bryant or Dave Platt design. I hope by now you've had a satisfactory reply to your Cof G conundrum and that all has been well with that. When I have confirmation of my Magisters Plan origins I will obtain a plan as I'm going to need one-that's for sure! It'd be good to learn how you've got on.

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys,

How did you get on with your machines?

I have just picked up a Dave Platt plan and have had it enlarged by 120% to get it to around 80" wingspan.

I am changing the rib profile as the full size was built with Clark YH section rather than the almost symmetrical section shown on the plan.

I also plan to halve the weight of the original which I have read was around 10lbs, aiming at 4.5lbs and electric powered.

52 minutes ago, John Stainforth said:

Andy,

4.5 lbs for an 80" span model is an incredibly ambitious target. If you can achieve that it will be something of a record and you will have an amazing soarer!

Ivan Pettigrew designs very light large models, in the back pages of the current RCME there is pictures of Mike Roach's 120" Lincoln bomber  built from his plans and it only weighs 7lb ready to fly.  

I have a very wing weary Ivan Pettigrew Chipmunk which is now 17 years old.

My wood selection was not as good as it could have been, and she weighs 5lbs at 75" wingspan.

It flies on 3S lipos and I can get 10 mins of flight from a 2700mAH pack.

It gets used for training as it is large so easy to see, light weight so it can fly very slowly and has no vicious handling traits.

Please don't think this is necessarily a gentle flier, sure it lands slowly but it can take off in less than 5 yards in still air, perform loops from level flight but I am still happy to fly her in 20mph winds with gusts at 25mph.

I belong to a group of flyers who fly IP models in the UK & Europe, BIMBO's (British Ivan Model Builders Organisation), as does Mike. We have been visited by Ivan in the past during one of our get togethers in the south of England.

True John, 4.5lbs is still slightly optimistic but with care, hopefully achievable.

I have my own website which shows some of the IP planes I have built, they are all still with me and flyable. My website is here

Edited by Andy Gates
Added website
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Andy Gates said:

EB

Look under Commercial plans - Magister.

I may do a thread on here a bit later.

Andy yes I have seen that you have started but the photos are too small for me to make anything out, a thread on here would be more informative I think so please do.