mini lathes

Wotcha peeps! I was thinking of getting a small lathe and saw these--https://www.banggood.com/DC-24V-Mini-Lathe-Beads-Machine-Polish-Woodworking-DIY-Tools-80-100W-p-1121255.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN -----Is Raitool a good make? Can they handle steel and screw cutting?. With the right accessories of course. There are a number of sizes etc.if you scroll down. I would like the biggest one but I'm not sure I can afford it. Especially if it turns out to be unsuitable.

Any ideas welcome. Regards John

Errmmmm with the sort of power they list (100w) you'd be lucky to take the skin off a rice pudding....

As the owner of 3 lathes, a ' proper mini lathe ( Sieg Super C3) a Chester 9 x 20 and a Warco WM 290 clone, I can speak from experience. ( All have their respective uses.....)

Save your money, either buy a second hand machine or buy new....

Given your choice of lathe, ( and I dont mean to be disrepetful here....) it appears you have little or no experience....

As such, I' d steer younaway from second user machines and recommend a new one....Buying second hand can be fraught with all manner of issues to the unaware....

Gordon's choice is the one I'd recommend too, as I have one... And Arc are one of the best suppliers around..

I think they may gave offers on at the moment.....(early xmas pressie to onesself? )

Posted by Martian on 12/11/2018 15:26:23:

Having made the mistake of buying a low priced Chinese mini lathe i found it totally impractical.

Martian, you have had a bad experience with "a low priced Chinese mini lathe"

Care to expand on that please? I find my Sieg lathe very practical, especially for making small parts where using the bigger lathes at my disposal a little cumbersome....Horses for courses....

Posted by John Rudd on 12/11/2018 16:13:53:

Having made the mistake of buying a low priced Chinese mini lathe i found it totally impractical.

Care to expand on that please? I find my Sieg lathe very practical, especially for making small parts where using the bigger lathes at my disposal a little cumbersome....Horses for courses....

Maybe its not as bad as I suggested but it is only 24w 12v so will stall if not careful chuck is not easy to centre I cannot get the cutting tools anywhere it is this one plus it could do with a speed controller and no instructions

Measure the cutting tool you already have Martian, and grind the bar stock you buy to your requirements

These lathes work on tufnol, plastics,nylon, aluminium and most brass, which does for modellers

Like you say, the feed has to be very slow, but these lathes do work

Feed of course is governed by material and rpm, so one speed will not do all things

But many small jobs can be completed on these machines

Posted by Martian on 12/11/2018 20:32:21:
Posted by John Rudd on 12/11/2018 16:13:53:

Maybe its not as bad as I suggested but it is only 24w 12v so will stall if not careful chuck is not easy to centre I cannot get the cutting tools anywhere it is this one plus it could do with a speed controller and no instructions

Waste of space and money. I even tried a 4 jaw chuck because the 'self centering' 3 jaw chuck was so far out of true it was useless. That 'lathe' will just about turn plastic and if you spring for a live centre will just about allow you to drill a centre in ali - providing you can get the work piece centered in the chuck... really...don't waste your time or money... it will be £135 down the drain.

I tried fitting a meaty brushless motor and designed and built a load-compensated speed controller for the one i had but it still couldn't cut sh1t...... used it once and now it gathers dust.

there is a reason a proper 'hobby' lathe costs £500 and the plastic toy ones from China cost £135!!

If you want to build the controller Martin I could probably find the arduino sketch and schematic. It uses a 3S lipo and an ESC to power the C4250-600 Turnigy brushless motor.. it works quite well at maintaining the requested revolutions.... but the lathe still cant cut for toffee