Hawkesbury River

zz

Back in March, my wife and I and friends, took the Hawkesbury mail boat cruise on the Hawkesbury River, to the north of Sydney. Rich land around the Hawkesbury provided food for the colony in its early days.

The mail boat delivers to isolated settlements on the river, that not accessible by road. Idyllic surroundings certainly, but residents need to be very disciplined to live in these places for any real length of time.

This rock is a landmark on the river. It is Sydney sandstone. It tells some of the history of the river, a lot more below water for sure.

Many early buildings in Sydney were built from this stone. Stone is saved from any new infrastructure projects so these colonial buildings can be maintained and restored.

Only a short journey north of Sydney by road or rail. A few hours to be recommended and they serve a great lunch.

I spent a weekend touring the Hawkesbury River on a houseboat with my wife, brother-in-law and some friends a few years back. OK, it was more than "a few" years - it was in 1990! We certainly didn't see that rock though.

At the end of the trip we had a scenic flight to Sydney harbour and back from Palm Beach in VH-AQA, a DHC-2 Beaver on floats. It seems the aircraft was recently totally rebuilt and sold for USD400k

That rock is incredible. To be honest I thought it was a tree stump and the veins were wood.

I suppose I should visit Sydney as it's my middle name (after my uncle who was killed in WW1 back in 1916) but I doubt we'll make the trip now. The nearest we've been is New Zealand back in 1999 (cycle tour) which isn't very near at all - just nearer than it is from Derbyshire.

Geoff