Ammo box

PatMc

I'm thinking of getting an ammo box for safe lipo storage.

I have no knowledge of them so any suggestions of what I should look for ?

Saw a 50 Cal ex Brit Army box on Ebay @ £17 delivered, seems OK but slightly smaller than expected. Does this seem about right ?

Any other types more suitable preferably with link to seller would be appreciated.

Obviously I'll need to arrange some type of internal insulation.

You can find them on EBAY.

I havex a small one and drilled holes in it to let the gasses out. The club secretary added baffles etc to stop sparks coming out to his.

Then I boight a Batsafe.A bit (lot) more expensive but really designed to dothe job properly. They afre on Ebay but actually a little cheaper on Hobbyking.

Posted by Percy Verance on 16/11/2018 17:14:22:

I use one of these......

stanley tool box.jpg

Made of steel, it's considerably more robust than the plastic jobs you often see. Nobody selling ammo boxes near me, and I don't do e bay so got this instead. Seems ideal...... Loads of room in it. If I fill it with 20 odd lipos for a full day's outing, it's almost too heavy to lift..... Of course I could take fewer batteries, but I prefer not to charge at the flying field.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/11/2018 17:17:58

But how much Percy?

Posted by Percy Verance on 16/11/2018 17:14:22:

I use one of these......

stanley tool box.jpg

Made of steel, it's considerably more robust than the plastic jobs you often see. Nobody selling ammo boxes near me, and I don't do e bay so got this instead. Seems ideal...... Loads of room in it. If I fill it with 20 odd lipos for a full day's outing, it's almost too heavy to lift..... Of course I could take fewer batteries, but I prefer not to charge at the flying field.

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/11/2018 17:17:58

Good choice, I have one of these to keep my field charging battery in, 96Ah of 6S lipo, I have some large EDF jets and lead acid leisure batteries were too heavy. The case is large and sturdy and has a good carry handle. Mine has a sliding tray in the top for the charger to sit in, I believe there is a version without the sliding tray as well. It has some gaps between the lid and body so it can not pressurise should an event happen. My flight batteries travel in 50 call ammo boxes, with the seals partially removed and insulated inside per other peoples practice.

I use NEW 50Cal ammo boxes from Ebay (link below). Not worth getting used old rusty ones in my opinion. Also, I thought the whole point was to keep the rubber seal in place to stop the gasses escaping in case of a problem or a battery going pop or in fact more oxygen getting in if they try and burn.

f:0">https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-50-Cal-Army-Ammo-Metal-Storage-Box-Ammunition-Surplus-Tin-Tool-Box/301820817483?hash=item4645ec304b:g:YUkAAOSwd3dZYSfa:rk:49f:0

Posted by Andy C on 17/11/2018 15:06:25:

I use NEW 50Cal ammo boxes from Ebay (link below). Not worth getting used old rusty ones in my opinion. Also, I thought the whole point was to keep the rubber seal in place to stop the gasses escaping in case of a problem or a battery going pop or in fact more oxygen getting in if they try and burn.

f:0

No, if a lipo battery catches fire, it does not need external oxygen, it is a reaction of the chemicals in the battery and as they react they give off a lot of high temperature gas, and if this happens in a sealed container it will pressurise it and potentially burst it, so you need to remove some of the seal to stop it being pressurised. Think of the lipo charging bags, these are not sealed.

Edited By PeterF on 17/11/2018 17:02:38

Posted by Andy C on 17/11/2018 15:06:25:

f:0

Hi Andy/pat. They both look great. I’m ordering one as well

I had gone along with the venting idea but now you’ve got me wondering dont know Should we vent them or not ????