Ammo box

PatMc

I personally know three people who have had lipo fires. One was lucky and got away with nothing worse than a slightly singed worktop. Another lost a bag full of batteries, but was able to throw the burning package out of the door.

The third one wasn't so lucky. He lost his entire garage, all his models and gear - fortunately his family were not harmed. Some years later he's rebuilt and continues tou use lipos - but you can bet that he takes the appropriate precautions now.

So you'll forgive me when folks who are clearly well informed on the topic and who take appropriate precautions are being told that they are wrong by someone who doesn't actually have any experience, or for that matter doesn't even use lipos and I point out that they are mistaken. Like a number of experienced users have pointed out, keeping, or worse still, charging, lipos in a sealed container is dangerous.

In a former existence, I was involved in the explosives world and partook of a number of demos of the effects of explosives for those who might not be aware of the dangers.

Using a typical 7.62mm type box, a detonator confined inside would seriously deform the box - a thunderflash usually launched the box to somewhere about 60 feet overhead. I'd be inclined to drill a couple of holes....

Pete

Posted by ken anderson. on 21/11/2018 10:01:04:

I've now joined the ammo box lads, this arrived this morning, its on the to do list(drill a couple of holes in it)

ammo box

ken anderson...ne...1..to do dept.

Hi Ken why not just remove the gasket, drilling a hole could let rain water in if it's left in the open air.?

hello s/man65,suppose there is no correct answer....remove the gasket or drill a couple of holes.removing the gasket will still have the lid sitting shut and probably rattling in the car etc,plus it'll still make a seal of some sort be it not 100%......my preference is to drill a couple of hole's...….really at the end of the day its open to each individual.

I don't envisage having an accident with my lipo's and to date haven't done anything special with them when they aren't been used, I've been using them now for approx. 10 years +.

a couple of recent incidents that I've heard about have made me take stock of the things and take a little bit of extra tlc with them.as the alternative doesn't bear thinking about.....so the ammo box is 100% better than what I had..... emotion

ken anderson...ne...1...alternative dept.

Posted by supertigrefan on 21/11/2018 18:24:01:
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/11/2018 18:15:32:

Would fine gauze as a flame trap be an improvement on this?

It would arrest the flame but would not cool the jet of hot air being emitted.

But it would reduce the jet effect, i.e. Shooting flame, and a bit more to the point, catch lumps of burning material carried up by the fire.

But I would not be too uptight about it. It's a steel box. Far better than nothing. It is not an explosive safe. Vent flames towards the ceiling, it's usually the safest direction.

As a point, when we heard about the pipe bombs being posted in the USA a few weeks ago, we saw safes carrying the pipe bombs to the forensic labs. They will contain the bomb if it goes off.

Now a posted pipe bomb wil contain (apx) the energy of a biggish lipo. And those total containment things sat on the back of what looked a 3.5 ton flatbed.

Posted by supertigrefan on 21/11/2018 18:24:01:
Posted by Martin Harris on 21/11/2018 18:15:32:

Would fine gauze as a flame trap be an improvement on this?

It would arrest the flame but would not cool the jet of hot air being emitted.

How does it not cool it here, but cool it in the Dremel. Or are we talking the difference between spot temperatures, and heat energy, i.e. Joules.

Am I missing the point, but is it a good idea to store lots of Lipos in one box?

If one lets go is there a risk of it causing other to fail? Thus contributing to a fire/release of energy?

Would it be better to put one or two batteries in a lipo safe bag and then put them in say a plastic tub (does not need to be metal as the lipo bag is a good thermal insulator?