Electric Acro Wot ?

Jon

When I first did my W4 it was on a 4S set up, and it flew ok , but lacked that bit of ZIP. On 5S it is great ,so much more responsive ,longer flight times and just better performance. Remember to allow good cooling on the ESC. I blew an 80A esc at the Nats as it was flown 4 times on the trot with no breaks, as I lent it to others to have a go and it just cooked the ESC.

Phil ... have you seen this range , there are motors here that are nearly the size of my wifes car!

I picked this one but have a look at the rest on this site...

Scorpion 3026-8 1212kv 1000 Watt Brushless Motor  The weight is quoted as 1.1lbs but in the spec its quoted as 6oz ,so am a bit confused.

You can find the full Spec and Prop data here

jon

Hi Jon,

Thats an awfully high KV you will end up turning a small prop at high rpm, which as you are no doubt aware is very innefficient. In my Wotty I am using a 600 watt 660Kv motor pushed to 800 watts using a 14 x 7 APC-e on 6 cells A123, drawing around 40A.

The motor and ESC came from United Hobbies in Hong Kong and have done nearly two years flying without a hitch. The A123's are still as good today as they were when new, despite fast charging at 10A, and only balancing intermittently.

Danny

Thanks for the input Danny... I'm still learning ... if you dont ask you dont find out do you.. better to look daft on the forum than to struggle to get to the then of the runway due to getting it wrong..

I'll keep looking 

thanks jon

All info is welcome Danny... but I would prefer a bit more than 500w,

I have 4 x 2500mA 20c 4s Lipos and have been using them in pairs giving me 5000mA each time I fly..

The Motor / ESC & Prop combo currently gives me about 15-20 mins flying time per pair but I'm only flying slow mock A tests at the moment so battery life may be a bit more prolonged than when I start screaching the skys.....

jon

Hi Jon, just had a look on UH for the motor I used and it is no longer available, not really a problem as there are some crackers coming along now.

I used this motor in a 7lb Sea Fury, with a 15 x 10 prop and it gave around 1100 watts on 8 cells A123, it only weighs 280g! If you ran it on 4 or 5 cell LiPo cell it would be a great motor for the Wotty range. 

Turnigy Motor

Danny

The motor Danny recommends is what I am using in my WOT4. I running 6s lipos with a 12X6 prop. It pulls about 23A for 480W and flies the Wot 4 just fine. With a 14X7 prop it pulls about 35A but is faster than I need at the moment. I am planning to try a 14X7 cut doe to a 13X7 to see what the current is like and the performance.

Ok... I have started buying.... ouch! .... Wife caught me at it...

The main bits list is as follows:----

ACRO WOT DELUXE Incl. glass fibre cowl & undercarriage

Profilm Polyester Covering

HM 'Professional' 80A, 2-6S, S-BEC, Brushless ESC.

E-flite 'Power 46' 670Kv (800W) Brushless Motor

APC-E 12 X 8 Electric Props

To start off with she will be flying on 2 x 2500 4S 20c Lipos ... may be 5 or 6s latter...

Qusetion what servos should I choose? ...both the servos and the RX will have their own battery.

Any other ideas and tips most welcome

A very happy jon

Use 2 servos for the wings. You do not need full size ones so a bit of weight saving can be done 3kg pull ones are more than enough.Hitec do so grat small servos. Mount them out in the wing panels not in the centre . Gives a much much better linkage set up, easyer to set up any diferential needed and allows them to be mixed as flaps ect ect. I would never fit a single servo on this type of model.

Ah... just managed to run the video.... needed to download "Flash"....

Very good , can see you have flown before!.... Hope my Acro go's as well as that....

I will be putting a whole string of Pic's and comments up on this forum at each stage of the build. Good or bad.. just hope it helps otthers when they want to have a go.

jon