Touche

Martyn K

Sorry to hear of your recent ill health Martyn, hope all is under control for you there.

Touche is looking really slick, I like the color scheme as well, I just started a Curare build, I will be going all electric with her, if I can get it looking half as good as your Touche I will be well chuffed (first build in 40+ yrs)

Hope she flies as good as she looks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had 4 flights with Touche so far.

The first was just over a week ago. Unfortunately, I was getting air bubbles in the fuel line from the pump which meant only one short flight (deadstick) and then back home, engine out, strip and clean the pump. A quick test on the test mount and the engine was peaking OK so back in and waited patiently for the next opportunity.

So, on Saturday, attempt number 2. A little bit of tweaking required to get the Dynamic Carb setup so it would transition cleanly from idle to peak.

A much better flight but slightly under elevated. Model is very smooth but the engine died after about 3 or 4 minutes. Enough time to check that it does the basics OK though and its not twitchy.

A bit more tweaking. I was having problems with an air leak in the retracts (Seem to hold pressure on the ground but deffo losing pressure in the air) so had to settle for locked down undercarriage. .

Flights 2 and 3 followed the same - engine OK on the ground but dying in the air after a few minutes. Very irritating. On the 3rd landing, the left uc leg collapsed and the model skewed off and slid into the laid flat fence post. No damage except for a paint chip which will be easily fixed but I think the model was giving me messages to get the uc swapped out..

SO I cleaned up and brought it home for a good look. Next job is to get the UC out and check the seals in the UC cylinders or probably swap out for an electric set...

I still need to sort out the motor. It seems OK on full throttle but dying in the mid throttle range. Pipe length needs optimising as well but it flies beautifully. Very smooth but not stupidly fast (except for dead stick landings).

Martyn

Hi Martyn,

Did you disassemble that Dynamix? If so, I wish you luck getting the spray bar back in the right place. They are very critical. Once got hold of a load of Webra carb. bits which should have made up several units but can only get one to work properly. The parts are often none interchangeable with sliders being of different thicknesses and they generally look as though they have been made by several different people in their bike sheds.

My Curare uses a ST61XRE with a Dynamix. Exactly the same as the one I put in my first Dalotel and did not even need a tweak during the nine years` life of the model. My spare identical motor just refuses to work but I have not tried it lately. All use a TK pressure regulator, not a pump. The one in the Curare was very finicky until I accidentally filled the tank with 20% nitro YS mix. Got to the field and put the correct straight fuel in it. Back to its old ways until I realised what I had done.

Retracts. You are injecting silicone oil into the units and the valve or are you not? They will leak like a sieve under engine vibration if you don`t.

Thanks Martin.

No I haven't stripped the Dynamix carb but it was err tweaked before I spotted the air bubbles. When its running, the pressure is actually blowing a little fuel through the main needle valve. No air bubbles though. I kept blowing plugs so its on a cold plug now. It ran OK on a OS 8 previously so not sure why that is happening.

I have used Silicone oil in the retract system, quite liberally but I suspect that the seals in the leg units may be a little dry and hardened. They probably need replacing.

Nigel - they are Air up/down. Use Silicone as it doesn't damage the rubber.

A slight correction to my previous post. Not flown this model for a couple of years and forgot that I changed the carb. back to an ST one, this time with no pressure regulator. Could not use this with a regulator since the main needle cannot not be closed down sufficiently. Surprisingly it draws fuel quite well on tank pressure alone. The spare motor is similarly equipped but has not as yet been run. Sorry if I mislead you.

As for retracts I have changed my two Dalotel ones to HK electric metal trunion types but these are very weak and need a 1/16th grp plate fitting over the top or they fracture easily. Don`t try the smaller and cheaper plastic trunion ones because the slightest side load breaks the tips of the cam.

I have got a set of HK metal trunion retracts which I have been exercising today. They are the 90 sized ones. The biggest problem I had was that they wouldn't clamp the leg very well so the clamp has been drilled out to accept a sleeved 8swg leg. (from memory about 5.5 or 6mm). Just trying to find my wire bender to bend the spring loop then worry how to get the servo leads through, Ho hum..

Martyn