Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Hi all. If your like me and use your shed or garage to make and repair your models you will no doubt hate it when the winter comes and temperatures plummet.

After meeting a courier delivery driver who had a 5kW heater fitted under his van seat I started to do some digging and found the answer to my prayers to be able to quickly warm up my shed so I can work without waiting for an hour for it to warm up with a 2kW electric heater - by the time it warmed up it was time to pack up... Now I’m really toasty and after my wife saw how good it was I’ve had to order another one to go into her craft cabin. So bring out your building project this winter and get yourself a Christmas present you will really enjoy. See the video - I’ve made a few videos on the subjust but this should wet your appetite. I will answer any questions if your interested - it’s the best thing since sliced bread...

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 17:09:18

I suppose I'm lucky - I have central heating in my 'shed' (an extension off the lounge I built - with professional help - just before I retired ) and a occasionally a 1kw fan heater during the day when the house heating's off.

Sounds a good piece of kit for a real shed, though. Is it a dry heat? Parafin heaters create a lot of condensation which isn't good for tools.

A link or a manufacturer's name might help interested people.

Geoff

Interesting, two things concern me. 1. The unit burns diesel, so it must presumably have and exhaust external to the building, not obvious in the video. Otherwise there must be a build up of CO in the shed. 2. Burning fuels such as diesel creates approximately the same weight of water as fuel burned not clear how this is dealt with.

I think I would act with caution. I use an oil filled electric radiator.

They use diesel heaters in boats which are very effective and usually the combustion exhausts overboard. Does your heater have any external venting to ensure carbon monoxide does not build up in your shed? perhaps a NO2 alarm would be a good idea? I agree, fan heaters have to be very big to be effective and are expensive to run.

I have just installed a radiator in my garage but not connected up yet, next to the central heating boiler. It should get really toasty if the hot water or CH is on (I hope) as it is a big radiator.

If the boiler hadn't been in there I think I would have gone for a log burner as they produce a dry heat and are really effective, although a bit of a faf to clean out.

Hi Geoff. You are lucky to have an area you can work in but many I know are not as lucky which is why I posted the video here to see if others know about this form of heating. The unit runs on diesel and the combustion noise outside sounds just like a very high flying jet engine so it sounds just right for a plane shed / hanger.

There is NO condensation as the combustion air is taken from outside and exhaust outside so the heat that goes into your shed is via a finned heat exchanger - unlike my daft heating choice last year when I got a portable gas heater and it did not take long for me to see water condensation dripping off my bench vice so I quickly turned it off and continued to freeze. This diesel heater makes no condensation just 5kW of lovely dry heat. If there are a good few questions showing interest I will follow up with information... Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 18:09:52

Hi all. I must make it clear NO air is taken from inside the shed and both the air and exhaust pipe exit out the shed via a 24mm pipe so no issue with fumes.

Here is the part one video I did which may help people. These are used extensively in boats, lorries, campers and now if the word spreads on sheds...

Ordered two units from Amazon (other one was for a friend who’s over the moon with it). Hope the diagram above will show you how it works. Proved system that’s been used for many years but always too expensive till the Chinese started to make copies which are good quality and cost a fraction of the three other major players out there. Just to add that I did originally place orders TWICE with sellers on eBay who both let me down as they had no stock despite saying they were U.K. stockists. This is common I now understand. By ordering from Amazon I got a tracking number that was valid and showed me where it was on its journey from China right to my door.

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 29/11/2018 19:05:13

When I was plod I used to drive, on occasions a 14 ton mobile laboratory. It was heated with this technology. Seamless toasty.

I once did a aweful job, wet, in winter, for 4 days, down a sewer. Saved my life to get warm every 2 hours over the 16 hour shifts.

Now my workshop is not heated. This thing need a couple of hose holes to outside, a power supply?. Fuel supply?

Edited By Don Fry on 29/11/2018 19:11:20

Hi Don. I am glad you came on and made a comment as I also understand both BT and the Electric Power Transmissions Cable companies use the diesel heaters in the field in their larger vehicles working in extreme conditions and keeps operatives warm. I have tried in my shed convectors, fan heaters and Infra Red heaters and all pale into insignificance against this heater and as a bonus the operating costs are less although it will take some time to recover the outlay but the reason I got it was to be W A R M & TOASTIE.

AND I SURE AM.

SO JOIN THE CLUB.

REGARDS PETER

Posted by Don Fry on 29/11/2018 19:08:32:

When I was plod I used to drive, on occasions a 14 ton mobile laboratory. It was heated with this technology. Seamless toasty.

I once did a aweful job, wet, in winter, for 4 days, down a sewer. Saved my life to get warm every 2 hours over the 16 hour shifts.

Now my workshop is not heated. This thing need a couple of hose holes to outside, a power supply?. Fuel supply?

Edited By Don Fry on 29/11/2018 19:11:20

Wonderful marketing department talk. Now answer the question mate.

I have installed one of these in to my VW campervan and can vouch for their effectiveness. I woke to a minus seven outside temp in Scotland last winter switched it on and twenty minutes later was basking in about 15 degrees and the van was thawed out. Never thought of installing one in my workshop. Good idea

Quite a few diesel van/boat heaters on ebay but I can't find your model anywhere on Amazon Peter. As I say these diesel heaters are quite popular fitted to boats but it is still recommended to fit an inexpensive, (branded) Carbon Monoxide detector in your shed, just incase (of a leak). They call carbon monoxide the silent killer kulou.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 29/11/2018 20:53:10

I've used Eberspacher heaters for quite a few years, now these cheep clones have come onto the market I will get one to keep as a backup heater just in case my heater packs up as they cost around the same price to have my heater serviced by a Eberspacher engerneer.