Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

Hi all - recon once mine is up to temperature and the units ticking over at around 2+kW output at a guess the consumption is about .2 of a ltr an hour - either way I have been up my shed loads and only topped it up today with around 4 ltrs. I hope you (and my wife) get the heater before Christmas. Regards Peter

In my shed I have a oil heater running as an anti frost device. Keep the shed (13x8) dry. This is set to its lowest setting (no1 of 3) with the thermostat set as low as it can go. When its really cold, I have a 3 bar 1.8kw halogen radiant heater sat on the bench. I very rarely have more than one bar on. The fact is, my shed is far warmer and easier to keep warm that my brick garage that is attached to the house.

Martyn

Hi Tim. Good luck to you for getting it at Christmas but remember that there has been a hell of a run of these this year. Most of the suppliers it seems take your money but can’t supply by the delivery date they give so you get a refund and start again which is why I went to Amazon in the end but that was my bad luck as many others got theirs with no problem so I do wish you good luck. Regards Peter

I have a 5x8 metre timber framed shed fully insulated with 60mm Celotex in the walls and 100mm in the flat roof, floor is double layered 18mm treated board with a thin sandwich of radiator insulation.

I use a small oil filled radiator which is connected to my Hive network via a smart plug with various timer settings. For example during a weekday I have it come on for short periods just to keep the temp topped up.

With the remote access via the Hive app I can turn the rad on or off if my plans change. For a bit of fun I've put smart bulbs and a motion sensor in so all my shed lighting is fully automatic now.

I've got a decent size flat screen TV in the shed and once I'm in there between me, the TV and the kettle we generate enough heat to to overide the oil radiator.

Hi Tim. I am sure eBay are aware of what’s going on as it has happened to so many and full refunds have been given and just to give an idea this is what I had these are saved communication replies after chasing my order...

The usual shipping will take about 4-9 workdays.
We are so sorry to keep you wait.

Could you please help us check whether this address is correct or not (address removed by me)

We are contacting the shipping company for more information.
If we confirm you item is lost, we will give you good solutions without hesitation. OK?
Looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Truthfully, ——— Then after all that I get this —— Thanks for your order and fast payment . But we find some quality problem of our goods..
All items has been return to the factory .
Sorry for this trouble. Maybe you need it in special day or really like our item .
We don't want to let you upset ,just try too make sure you could get what you expect .
So how about we refund you first ?
Really sorry for that ,
Waiting for your reply - just got refund and ordered from Amazon

Regards Peter

Hi Devcon. Sounds like a great set up I have a very small TV in my shed which is very rarely used because while working there I don’t get a lot of time to look up but I do have the radio on good old Radio 4 almost all the time. My heating requirements were different to yours as I can’t plan a time so I grab anything from a couple of hours to an afternoon so as it’s all unplanned the only option for me is to either keep the heating on low all the time with a boost when I go in - which works out expensive or the solution I have posted here - hit it hard with heat so I can work within around 15 minutes at around 16c and climbing fast when it’s 6.8c outside... Different solution for same problems. Regards Peter

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 01/12/2018 11:09:54

Posted by PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 30/11/2018 12:42:01:

Hi Josip. Always a pleasure to hear from you and how about that heater for you as you get a lot colder there... Regards Peter

Here in the Adriatic is not a ''dangerous'' winter and it lasts for a short while, but I am an old man and avoid any weather shocks ,so during cold weather I work on models in the work-room and there is a airconditioner .When you are cold remember me and will be warmer, at least around of your heart.teeth 2

To you and your family, Happy Christmas and New Year cocktail

Jo

All been a bit delayed,

Santa (OK, its really SWMBO) is worried about diesel emissions into the garden, so all on hold and looks like I will just be cold in the garage until I can find an alternative solution!

No worries about actually arriving for Christmas Peter, just would be nice to get it working before the coldness of Jan/Feb. I have found the heater and a muffler on Amazon, so that would be my first port of call if I do go the Diesel heater route.

Thanks again for all your help.

P.S. Just about to get into my V6 Diesel and drive 200 miles, but thats different (apparently)!

Tim

Hi Tim. So sorry to hear your dilemma but the only time you get any whiff of diesel is just after it fires up as that’s how it ignites the fuel with the gloplug but it’s nothing and it’s gone straight away as when the combustion has started they burn clean and you can smell nothing. I have to say again that they use them in boats, lorries, vans & sheds so I have to say I’m sorry Santa won’t be calling... Regards Peter

You haven't read the latest reports on log burning stoves then  - apparently they make diesel look extremely clean ?

https://www.businesstelegraph.co.uk/the-silent-killer-in-our-homes-wood-burning-stoves-emit-six-times-as-much-pollution-as-a-diesel-truck-and-theyre/

wink

Edited By conrad taggart on 04/12/2018 00:13:23

Sorry Conrad, it was my (failed) attempt at being ironic! This whole 'green' argument seems to ignore what kind of pollution one is talking about. Particulate, NOX (carbon monoxide/carbon dioxide), hydrogen sulphide, nitric acid (acid rain). One might also argue that wind turbines pollute our landscape visually, although not affecting air quality, unless you are a migrating bird! Solar panels don't seem to have too much of a downside, unless you have lost your flying site to them!

• 2 weeks later...

Wife?s craft cabin.jpegUPDATE FOR YOU ALL...

Wife came into my shed a few weeks back to bring me a cup of tea - that was all it took and she said “l want one of those” That was that so yet another diesel heater was ordered and it came in at the weekend. Much harder to install into the wifes craft cabin even though it’s a lot bigger than my shed there is very little room as it’s chocker block with her craft gear gear.

Managed to find a space and in it went and after it was fitted and fired up it got nice and cozy inside the 12x10 craft cabin. Wife came in and the smile was worth a 1000 words. Best thing I’ve done for ages.

Regards Peter

Wifes craft cabin 12x10

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 12/12/2018 21:44:20

Edited By PETER BRUCE - Eastchurch Gap on 12/12/2018 21:45:32

Hi Gary. In my shed currently using an old car battery and a smart charger but in the craft cabin I have reluctantly used a 20 Amp switch mode power supply. I say reluctantly because we do have power cuts where we are - most are only short together with more common blips of just a few seconds which could cause the diesel heater to go unto melt down as it has to cycle when it’s turned off. I hope to get hold of an old car battery shortly so I can dispense with the switch mode power supply and hence the possibility of a meltdown. Please be sure the meltdown I refer to is only of the plastic case as the combustion chamber is totally encased aluminium so never a chance or risk of fire. Hope this answers your question. Regards Peter

I made an assumption that you wouldn't have a car battery in the wife's shed. That's why I asked. I was planning on using THIS switch mode power supply. I chose it because of the adjustable output.

We don't have many power outages and the heater won't be on when unattended but you've got me concerned with your talk of meltdown. What is meltdown? All I can think is that if the power fails when the heater is at full heat, the fan will stop turning and the residual heat could be an issue. I assume that the heater would stop burning when the power is cut as this would stop the diesel pump.

Is anyone else using a non-guaranteed (no battery) power supply?