How to build an engine test stand

cymaz

Well after some head scratching, came up with this. The wood was an “ discarded offcut “ from work.

This was the old one...

e58e8d6b-36cc-4c35-98b0-4e294a2f7883.jpeg

Well past its best....

This is the unfinished new one. Hidden servo/ Rx box, away from oily residue...

0a6d5132-c3bc-4721-9257-7bdd17a32250.jpeg

The rest of it...the hole in the top is for a 6oz Dubro tank

37ee9cfc-aaf7-4043-9da1-74bce3448699.jpeg

3bcfa02e-684f-4fb9-b03a-48f9e28c74f7.jpeg

761f62ff-6bac-4a57-a242-9541e73bf415.jpeg

cdc6e6ef-83b5-4f0f-85c3-619a6cea9ac7.jpeg

Just the servo bracket ( s) to mount.

Edited By cymaz on 02/12/2018 17:10:29

Gentlemen please.....it’s a work in progress picture. Believe you me...if this stand ever breaks apart when bolted to my work bench , the end of the damn house will go with it angry.....

It’s a test stand not a work of art. I admit the top shelf ( WHICH IS NOW GLUED AND SCREWED) is only out of whack because the 45* bevel is not exact.

Jobs tonight are,

• cut the bolts to length that secure the metal adjustable mount
  • Drill some hole on the work bench to secure it with 2 ( two ) m10 coach bolts.

Pictures to follow.....nearly done.

Posted by Engine Doctor on 04/12/2018 11:03:54:

Re test stands for beam mounted engines . Make sure you include when building or buy one with a positive stop in front of the engine mounts . The second pic with the laser looks like it will allow engine to slide out if it vibrates loose !!!

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/12/2018 11:04:42

My thoughts exactly when, around '76, I drilled a couple of holes for some locating stops in my Davies Charlton test stand - well I was using it to run in my (then!) fearsome OPS 60...

I'm pleased to report that the engine stayed in place for the exercise despite it being twice the size the stand was designed for!

...and now I'm my club's safety officer - poacher turned gamekeeper?

For throttle I just use a bit of piano wire suitably bent with clevis or z bend on the throttle end, and fed through rubber bands around the tank...easily tweaked for different engines. Bands hold it firmly enough. Seems like a lot of trouble to mount servo, then rx. then battery, then switch..and then you need tx.. A servo tester would be simpler if you wanted to use a servo..

Posted by Martin Harris on 04/12/2018 17:50:46:
Posted by Engine Doctor on 04/12/2018 11:03:54:

Re test stands for beam mounted engines . Make sure you include when building or buy one with a positive stop in front of the engine mounts . The second pic with the laser looks like it will allow engine to slide out if it vibrates loose !!!

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/12/2018 11:04:42

My thoughts exactly when, around '76, I drilled a couple of holes for some locating stops in my Davies Charlton test stand - well I was using it to run in my (then!) fearsome OPS 60...

I'm pleased to report that the engine stayed in place for the exercise despite it being twice the size the stand was designed for!

...and now I'm my club's safety officer - poacher turned gamekeeper?

The DC was a great asset back then. I still use one for small diesels but bigger engines would be a bit dodgy .

The best game keepers are reformed poachers . They know the tricks and were lucky in their day yes

Posted by Fatscoleymo on 04/12/2018 19:00:58:

For throttle I just use a bit of piano wire suitably bent with clevis or z bend on the throttle end, and fed through rubber bands around the tank...easily tweaked for different engines. Bands hold it firmly enough. Seems like a lot of trouble to mount servo, then rx. then battery, then switch..and then you need tx.. A servo tester would be simpler if you wanted to use a servo..

I feel safer just standing back, I really do.

It’s an old Rx that I wouldn’t use in a plane, the switch has been mended with new solder plugs and a spare old batter. So no expense. Everything is what I had spare or would not use in flying. The wood was given. Glue and screws...well everyone has them.

Edited By cymaz on 04/12/2018 19:32:37

• 1 month later...