Inexpensive lightweight GoPro type video camera?

Jonathan M

Looking to buy the Kid a GoPro type video camera for his Christmas present, just something basic (no wi-fi etc) and as small and lightweight as possible.

Any pointers?

Jon

PS The primary purpose it to attache to a 1.5m slope-soarer or similar, thus needs to be small and light.

Edited By Jonathan M on 09/12/2018 17:30:51

Hi Jon, the Mobius action cam takes really great video/stills and costs between £55-£65 depending where you get it. It only weighs 39g so is ideal for fitting to a glider. I fitted mine to a Radiam Pro XL and obtained some great footage. It also is good in low light conditions too by the way. It records onto a micro SD card and you can get different lenses for it too (wide angle or not so wide angle - you can tell I am not a camera buff!)

If you want it in a hurry you can buy from Amazon. Hobbyking have it in their 'Global Warehouse' but it will attract customs and handling charges (it is over £15) . If you order from Banggood you tend not to pay those.....! wink 2 However, Bangood deliveries tend to rely on on 'the slow boat from China' rather than DHL so expect to wait about three weeks. Not much good for Christmas.crying

You should get one, you won't be disappointed.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 10/12/2018 22:54:02

I got one of the following from Amazon

**LINK**

A Victure action camera, £39 on Amazon as a prime item (so next day delivery), I am really chuffed with it 60fps at 1080p, 70g weight though, I am looking at this for attaching to one of my planes to records some in flight footage (the plus is that can be used for taking video on the ground). It comes with a mirid of adapters to connect in various different ways such as Handle bar adapter, helmut adapter, clamp adapter, gimbal adapter.. I took some test video and can confirm good quality, also has the ability to connect to a phone app via wifi so you can remotely control the video.

Definitely a cheap option

Any particular reason Ron? Definition, colour saturation, depth of field, lack of aberration? (I expect you can tell I don't know what I am talking about!). I presume you mean this Runcam? If you scroll down the page there is some video of it in action which might be of interest, plus some more info on it.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 11/12/2018 11:09:28

Without going into the technical differences between the 2 the main reason is the build quality. There are also quite a few YouTube vids that show the difference between the 2 although in good light conditions (as per my posted vid above) the differences are less noticeable.

I tend to take in flights vids then do a frame capture to use for stills, a bit like this from the vid in the above post (not the best but it's an example). But this means that the video quality needs to be half decent, hence why ?I think its worth while spending at least £50 on a camera (actually I've just bought a RunCam 2 from GearBest!)

rougham_from_the_air.jpg

Edited By Ron Gray on 11/12/2018 14:24:38

Edited By Ron Gray on 11/12/2018 14:26:27