Swamp Wallaby

zz

20181101_095919 (2).jpgWas at the field the other day and we had the pleasure of a visit from one of our neighbours from the surrounding bush.

He/she came onto the runway to inspect flying operations and having had a good look, shot through like a Bondi tram. That is an aussie expression for ' getting out of here in a hurry'. He/she returned to the bush unharmed.

It is not a Kangaroo, it is a Swamp Wallaby. Always great to see them, some of our other natural wildlife, not so great to see.

Not20181101_095905 (2).jpg great pics, did not have my camera on me, but grabbed a few phone shots.

There used to be band of feral wallabies resident in the Peak District. I never saw them but I think they lived around the Roaches on the Staffs side (some of the best bits of Derbyshire are in Staffordshire it is said). I think a very cold winter a few years (20?) ago finished them off. I haven't heard anything of them for some time but I understood they escaped from a zoo or a private animal collection and survived for some years.

Peak District wallabies

Geoff

My uncle was working on his farm in north Wales doing some fencing when he had that feeling he was being watched.Sure enough he looked around to see there was a dirty great vulture eyeing him up. [ Actualy it wanted his sarnies.] It had escaped from a zoo nearby.

Used to live on the riverside in Bewdley, years back Billy Smarts Circus had winter quarters some 3/4 mile away across the Valley, with the wind just right you would often have the sounds of Lions and Elephants chuntering to one another in the night. Sadly they're no longer there - but instead later on we got a Safari Park - just a bit further away, but we still have audible nocturnal lion-mutter at night. Rather nice.