Christmas bush

zz

img_1050.jpgWhile it snow and ice in the northern hemisphere, in my part of the world it is early summer, hot with some seasonal storms thrown in.

Just a few pics of Christmas bush growing in my back yard. A medium to large shrub native to temperate areas on the eastern seaboard, it is an Australian favourite.

The plant produces small white flowers in the spring, the flower then dies with the onset of summer, going red, which is what is prized as a decoration on the table at Christmas lunch.

It is easily grown 20181216_091645.jpgand I like to have my own supply as it is expensive to buy from the florist.

I don't have Christmas lights on my house, just some Christmas bush in the front yard as well.

Thanks guys.

The botanical name is Ceratopetalum gummiferum, common name is NSW Chistmas bush. Derived from latin I believe and is not edible. It is one of my favourite Australian native plants. You get two colours off the same plant for close on 5 months of the year. Cheers

Back in WA (Western Australia) this is our Christmas tree complete with tinsel.

Western Australian Christmas Tree (nuytsia floribunda)

The bright golden flowers appear during the festive season and hence it's name. A simple strip of tinsel is all that is needed to create a perfect tree for Christmas. Known to the local Noongar people as morjar, they would use it's bark to make shields and the gum from these wounds is sweet and and can be eaten raw.

It is a tree, but it is unique in that it is parasitic. It’s roots search out other roots, circle round them and penetrate, sucking out nutrients. They have been known to cut unprotected underground cables.

Hi Kooka, Tipsy P,

Once the bougainvillea have finished flowering, the Nuytsia flowers start appearing, temperature rises and the sky clears Christmas is coming Arrrrrrr

However here in the UK its wet, grey and I would say miserable but as as an optimist that's what makes the UK so green - can't have everything.

But then a sharp clear frosty morning has its own beauty and when it snows I am in heaven.

Merry Christmas lads.

Ace

Nothing to do with plants just an Oz "Christmas" tale
Mrs Pat & me were in Adelaide in late June 2000. We took the tram down to Glenelg one day & called in for a snack at a largish cafe. The place was completely done up with Christmas decorations, all the staff were dressed up as elves & christmas music playing. Got chatting to staff & other customers - they pointed out that it was their mid winter, so a good excuse to cheer things up a bit. It certainly made for a great festive atmosphere. thumbs up

I don't think they believed me when I told them that the June temperature in Glenelg, SA was probably warmer than it was in Seaton Sluice, Northumberland & definitely warmer than Glenelg, Ross and Cromarty. teeth 2

BTW my wife's favourite Oz floral displays were the jacaranda trees lining some streets.

Edited By PatMc on 21/12/2018 14:37:22