Chilli Wind Built - up wing.

How about someone with a rib plotting program plotting the Chilli Wind ribs and putting the result on a set of A4 pdf 's on Outerzone for us all to use? Good Lockdown project to benefit the ( aeromodelling) community?

There's a thought kc.

Would need to narrow down the airfoil choice first, that 63A012 would need a bit of bending to match the Chilli plan exactly.

Question - does the Chilli Breeze plan show individual ribs? You could scale that up if it did.

I don't think so Nigel unless that was done fairly recently. I bought the CW plan from Sarik a couple of years ago and it showed a foam wing, as did the build article in RCM&E May 1991. Cloud Models will do a CW obechi veneered foam wing for £50 and a tailplane too for £22 (+pp) which sounds quite reasonable if one doesn't want to start messing round with a drawing program for the ribs. A built up wing would be my preference too.

How did you do your rib profiles for your built up wing Nigel?

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 23/04/2020 15:57:32

Posted by kc on 23/04/2020 10:43:13:

How about someone with a rib plotting program plotting the Chilli Wind ribs and putting the result on a set of A4 pdf 's on Outerzone for us all to use? Good Lockdown project to benefit the ( aeromodelling) community?

I did resurrect my home-brew rib plotting program recently and uprated it for general use but with Symmetrical sections only. I could get it working to plot some Wind ribs if I had the plan. Scanning them on to PDF would be a simple job after that.

A.

KC,

The plan on the outer zone does indeed show the foam version of the wing. The root and tip ribs are enough to calculate the intermediate ribs but some consensus on the number of intermediate ribs, spar type and dimensions would be useful. The tail ribs are more complicated because unlike the wing it doesn't have a constant thickness trailing edge which my program doesn't (ATM) deal with.

As an aside, I made a mention of the lack of rib detail on RCG where one of the members had posted numerous plans in a thread under the "The Builders Workshop" section, like the Outerzone a great deal of the plans submitted there are un-buildable without rib detail these are mostly plans taken from kits where there was no need to include this information.

A.

Erfolg

I use DevWing. Big brother to the Profili SW.

I probably use about 10% of the features really.

£50 for a foam wing is good value. I'd expect to spend about half that on the wood for a built up wing!

Andy, somewhat surprised to hear of flutter on the wind. The ailerons stop short of the tips, which should help avoid problems. I lean towards med maybe med hard wood for strip ailerons and have never experienced a problem. The one time i had flutter was with large open structure ailerons and undersized servos.

Edited By Nigel R on 24/04/2020 05:45:15

I nearly forgot.

A very similar sized model, similar wing layout etc, is the Pilot Shooting Star:

**LINK**

The plan shows a full detail for a built up wing detail. It is of slightly different dimensions (touch more span, slightly shorter chord) but the structure could be copied for a Chilli wing, very easily, if you want some ideas.

Andy, on the first page Nigel gave the number of ribs in his model as 10 while the Shooting Star has 11 so probably either would work but it would be easier to follow the Shooting Star plan but with 11 ribs to Chilli Wind airfoil. Personally I would use spruce spars and ply joiners. Usual webbing, 1/16 sheeting and cap strips.

2 aileron servos in the wings would be the modern way instead of torque rods, therefore it would be handy if the inner ribs had holes for paper tube for servo leads.

Edited By kc on 24/04/2020 12:28:04

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Guys

Started a Chilli Wind build with built up wings, and I could use some help. I used some rib profiles supplied by HarryD here and they are excellent, however I have run into a question over u/c mounting.

The plan shows details for a foam wing, and even then only shows the position of the u/c wire with no detail of how it is mounted.

With my built up wing I am even more at a loss, so any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks

Jeff

• 1 month later...

I am currently working on updates for the Chilli Breeze/Wind and Rival designs and thought you maybe interested in the progress. The wing section chosen is NACA 0012 - several sections were trialled on the original Chilli Wind and this found to have the best flight characteristics but because the u/c was mounted in the wing I opted for a slightly thicker section with the u/c mounting in mind. I have posted a few pics here to show the new built-up wing structure that will be used on the updated designs and it is proving to be light and strong - no more wing-mounted u/c's!! Although this is the Rival E wing the construction with be common to all models. The up-dated designs are completely new versions of the originals but I think it would be a good idea also to update the originals to bring the into the 21st century way of thinking as they were good flying machines which were quick to put together.  

wing 6 low.jpg

wing 7 low res.jpg

Wing progress em.jpg

• Like 2

Delks,  that's looking good and that would be my kind of model if it is electric.  

I am very much in favour of fuselage mounted u/c - it makes transport and storage easier than with wing mounted.    I also like the idea of making built up ailerons using sheet and integral with ribs until cut away from ribs.    If anyone looks at the price of shaped TE balsa for ailerons they will also see why!  Very expensive now- balsa sheet is expensive but shaped solid TE is worse.

I expected that paper tubes for aileron leads would have been inserted before that stage - perhaps you dont use them?

Can we expect the plans in RCME?

Kc pretty sure the solid vs built up is near identical cost either way... if you buy a single thick sheet and shape the aileron yourself that is. I'm certain there was a thread discussing that a while back. 

Neat wing though Mike, lots to like from what I can see, I'm a fan of the near identical RAF30 for sport aerobatic designs.

Hi - the answer is yes the ribs will all be capped - it could even be fully sheeted for very little extra work/cost. "The Rival E" wing in the photos features  NACA 0013 root section and NACA 0014 tip section and has slightly larger than 2 1/4" aileron chord - this results in the thickness of the leading edge of the aileron exceeding 1/2" so in this case it is probably cheaper to go the built up route but but cost was not a defining factor in the choice of aileron construction - it just didn't seem a good plan to throw away all that valuable balsa in the form of wood shavings and I liked the idea of a built up aileron. The wing section for the updated Breeze has not yet been finalised but will be 12% thick.