Chilli Breeze & Chilli Wind plans (was RCME June 1994)

Fear not kc... the change of title has brought in at least two more readers... we are club mates, one of us already has a Chilli Wind and the other (me) is now seriously looking at building one!

For everyone who posts on the forum there are several who just read. If that gives someone an incentive and results in more models being built that’s got to be good too.

Brian.

• Like 3

Brian,  good to see the change of title attracted other members.    The Chilli Wind plan is on Outerzone  if you need it and the article is there too.    Note the comments earlier about stretching the nose and tail as a possible way of having a different version to compare with your friends model.

Edited by kc

On 01/03/2021 at 07:24, Nigel R said:

Mike my irvine 36 breeze was 3-1/2lb dry. Cannot recall deviating from plan. Film covered, built up.

Micro rx, micro wing servos, mini in fuse, and a 2/3 aa pack. I think.

Careful wood choice!

At the time i was also flying a 4' fun fly with a magnum gp 25, standard radio 5 servos, 3-1/4 dry. Litespan covered i believe. Again weight dictated by wood choice. 

Hi Nigel - Sounds like a nice, well thought out model and I hope you enjoyed flying it (RIP ?). 

On 05/03/2021 at 18:18, kc said:

Since the title was changed nobody has posted anything more!   I expected that the change of title to show what the thread was actually about would bring in more people.........

Hi KC

Thanks for the message - sent a reply to you covering the points you raise - great to get different points of view!

The Chilli Wind/Breeze were designed to be sport/pattern flyers and as such need to have a good amount of power on tap to get the best performance. I remember back in the late seventies in the Liverpool Club a chap had a 40 powered Kamco Kadet and, when flown by the resident "star pilot", it could perform 4 point rolls, rolling circles etc etc. It was around that time that I was doing some model building for Gloucester Models and one day I was handed a plan/foam wing panel pack to put together - it looked rather like a beefed-up Kamco Kadet but was in fact a Wot 4........

I was in conversation yesterday with the pal who has built several electric Breezes (using 4s battery) and he builds them as per plan (with built-up wing) and they have come out weighing around 3lbs. There are pros and cons for building very light but the main problem is that feather-weight models do not handle the wind very well and in the UK it is, generally speaking, windy rather than flat calm. 

Because of the shortage of of balsa I recently bought a little all-foam FMS Explorer which comes with all gear installed and ready for battery and receiver! This is a model spanning 40" with an auw of around 2 1/4lbs and the specified power set-up is: 3536 motor/3s 2200 battery/11.5" x 5" prop/40 amp esc. This model has been around for at least 4 years and there are plenty of reviews of it on the web. I don't remember anyone mentioning that it was overpowered but I do remember several negative remarks re its ability to handle windy days. Fortunately balsa supplies are back now so it is maybe time to put some of my ideas in to action. The new prices of balsa wood could well dampen the enthusiasm of a lot of would-be-builders but balsa models do have many advantages over foam so I guess there will always be enough people to pay the price and make it viable for suppliers to continue carrying stocks. 

I do agree that the choice of electric components is a constantly changing market but most suppliers offer advice and suggestions - you mention 4Max but there are plenty of others who do the same thing plus a host of on-line reviews and recommendations for the modeller to explore and seek enlightenment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delks said:

Hi Nigel - Sounds like a nice, well thought out model and I hope you enjoyed flying it (RIP ?). 

All credit to the design really. Long since sold - it was built when the mag plan came out...

edit: if you mean the fun fly, I can only take credit for the structure, all the flying surfaces were stolen from a pod & boom funfly published in RM or RCME as a free pullout (I think it was Fan Dancer as designed by a certain P Miller).

I recently rehashed it with a 'slightly' larger powerplant, 'proper' fuselage and different construction:

large.882697.jpg.c3fb4dad2947062a15ae7394ee37c838.jpg

1 hour ago, Delks said:

the main problem is that feather-weight models do not handle the wind very well and in the UK it is, generally speaking, windy rather than flat calm.

And, when we get wind, its bumpy ☹️

Edited by Nigel R

5 hours ago, Delks said:

I was in conversation yesterday with the pal who has built several electric Breezes (using 4s battery) and he builds them as per plan (with built-up wing) and they have come out weighing around 3lbs. There are pros and cons for building very light but the main problem is that feather-weight models do not handle the wind very well and in the UK it is, generally speaking, windy rather than flat calm.

I quite agree.  Our site is very exposed, typically windy and therefore pretty turbulent, so I'll be grateful for mine having a bit of weight to it.  It'll have a foam wing and with the SC32 is unlikely to come out any lighter than 3.6lbs or so, but that'll make its loading around a useful 20oz/sq ft.  Albeit that I expect it to be slippier through the air, this sort of loading is in the same ball park as my IC Acrowot and WOT4, which can at least be flown when the foam jobs are totally grounded!  If its really windy then the IC Boomerang at 23oz/sq ft is the only thing to fly... but its hard work all the same!

Edited by Jonathan M

15 hours ago, Jonathan M said:

3.6lbs or so, but that'll make its loading around a useful 20oz/sq ft.  Albeit that I expect it to be slippier through the air, this sort of loading is in the same ball park as my IC Acrowot and WOT4

Don't forget the larger size of the wots will make them fly "lighter".

See also Cubic Wing Loading for a really good (size agnostic) measure of how airframes will handle.

• Like 2

Good point(s) Nigel

The Wing Cubic Loading thing is very interesting, so I put together a table from available data of all my power models - currently flying, in-build, to-be-built, and deceased!

On this reckoning and in contrast to its basic wing-loading which made it look quite light, the Chilli Breeze looks like it will have a very similar WCL to the larger and heavier Boomerang trainer, and a bit more than the two Chris Foss ARTF models!   (But it's obviously a much more slippy design than any of these, which is why I think the SC32 will be more than adequate in terms of power.)

By contrast to this grouping with WCL figs of between 10 and 11.4 (including the old-fashioned Musketeer kit I'll eventually get round to building) the Gangster with a WCL of 7.8 should live up to its "Lite" designation, and below this by a further margin is (was!) my Mini Panic.  Right down at the bottom is your typical foamie (in this case the RIOT on which I learnt to fly) with a WCL of about 5.

image.thumb.png.cbf8ba39b9dd021064dad5b99e1b6c02.png

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have been working on a new sport/pattern model for a while now and, although the prototype will be for electric power, an i.c. installation will (hopefully) be shown on the plans. I was interested to see how the components matched up weight-wise and here are the results:

Relative weights of i.c. and electric power sources for small sport/pattern design of around 50” span and wing area 450”sq :

i.c components

magnum .36 inc silencer……………….. 345g

engine mount……………………………....    30g

fuel tank (half full)…………………………  .90g

throttle servo……………………………….   .15g

nicad and switch harness………………120g

-----------

total     600g

electric power components                     

motor……………………………………….     175g

esc……………………………………………     65g

lipo (4s 2600mah) ………………………266g

----------

total     506g

I will aim to be running a 12" prop on 4s but something like a 14"x7" on 3s would also be ok. If the above 4s set up was fitted into a standard Chilli Breeze and using modern lightweight radio gear a weight of 3lbs or less would be easy to achieve. The original model was designed around standard equipment with the servos weighing around 40 gms each. How times have changed - I am very tempted to update the Chilli Breeze to use the modern gear and electric power..............

Edited by Delks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I have just stated working on an electric Chilli Breeze, with lightened structure and probably a load of printed parts like the cowling.

But the discussion here brought to mind the matter of "lost plans and kits" specifically in this case "The Chilli Bean" I have one small picture of a Bean but can find no trace of a plan. Does anyone have a lead on a Bean plan?

More generally I have noticed that many models available not long ago from part cutters are no longer available like "The South Herts Vulcan" from Belair.

A great pity there is no master index of all the models ever designed and sold?

Chilli-Bean.jpg

There was a model called Bean by Brian Austin which was kitted by Paul Bardoe Models and renamed - Skyliner I think.    There is a thread here on Modelflying with some info and pictures of a Brian Austin model called Chilli Bean from 4 years ago.

I thought that Cloud Models might have produced this kit but looking at their website doesn't show the Bean /Skyliner,  might be worth a phone call to see if they can supply a plan.  ( Cloud do the other ex Paul Bardoe kits like Calibre etc )

Edited by kc

Chilli Breeze - there are set of rib shapes for a built up balsa wing to download for the Chilli Wind and  the Chilli Breeze.  Discussion on another thread here on ModelFlying and a link to download the pdf with ribs for Breeze as well as Wind on RCGROUPS.

Note that the ribs are not by the original designer ( Delks ) but are the nearest equivalent to suit the plan and were done by a gentleman called Harry who lives in Canada.   Printed out nicely when I downloaded the file to Acrobat and printed them off.

Edited by kc

A further point on the ribs to download -it is possible they may be revised to show holes for wing jig rods and tabs for building on a board.   So look for the latest version on RC Groups in due course.

You might send a Private Message to the designer Brian Austin  ( he posted on the Bean thread) to see if he can supply a plan.

I suggest any info on the Bean should go on the previous Bean thread to keep all the info together.

Edited by kc

Hi Guys, couple of thoughts

Currently putting together a pair of Chilli Wind wings, using the rib templates supplied by HarryD.  Have to say those templates are very good and perfect for use. He also prepared a wing layout drawing, with rib positions marked, so in conjunction with the templates all you need.

The Wind plan can be downloaded from Outerzone, so all you need for free (cheapskate, moi?)

Changing the subject:

Few posts back, RedBaron mentioned a model called a Bean. Agreed, silly name. Looking for some more info revealed a smaller one called Dwarf Bean. Even sillier name. Somewhat reminicient of the Crossfire by Howard Metcalfe.

Anyway, fancied a closer look. Supposedly a free plan in RC Model Flyer, June 2013. Searched June issue, and also May and July but couldn't find anything.

Can someone help?

Jeff

It seems that link to Magazine Exchange shows just Pocket Mags for that particular issue and that's a digital copy and presumably without the free plan.   For many issues Magazine Exchange offers proper magazines but none seem available for this issue.

However the Dwarf Bean plan  No 288 is still available from Doolittle Media shop price 14.95 pounds.

Edited by kc

Jeff I will leave you to buy that plan and article if you need it.   My interest is just theoretical.   Seems not too dear for a plan compared to the Doolittle price!    One could always enlarge the Dwarf plan to make a larger version.   Saling up always works whereas reducing a plan might need adjustments.

I suspect the Bean plan (original size ) was never published and was just a kit.

Hi Keith

Thanks for the thought, but I've got the magazine coming. This direct from the publishers, ADH, so I must have grabbed the last one they had.

Ho hum.

Must admit my interest is also purely theoretical.  My build list stretches to the wild blue yonder, so perhaps not ideal to add another one.

Wonder whether RedBaron might be interested in it. I know he was looking for a plan for the full size one, so perhaps the plan enlarged might suit him.

Looked back to the original Bean thread, and the comments on the kit were not too favourable. Also showed a picture of a model built from the kit, and it looks too boxy to appeal to me, so built from the plan might be a better bet.

Over to him

Jeff

I will pass on that too, leaving the Ebay plan and article for someone who needs it.

Often the shaping of a model is down to the shaping done with a razor plane.   Some models built square with trianguar corner bracing look square but careful shaping with a razor plane makes it into a shapely model in about 5 minutes work - AcroWot is a fine example.  maybe the Bean is similar.

Edited by kc

On 20/10/2021 at 16:37, kc said:

Some models built square with trianguar corner bracing look square but careful shaping with a razor plane makes it into a shapely model in about 5 minutes work

I like this build method. There is something almost meditative about whittling away the bits that don't look like an airplane, and ending up with a smooth streamlined shape.

Yes, thick bit of wood are a bit more than thin bits, but it makes little difference to the overall build cost. Just my opinion, obviously. Also, I detest planking!

Hi Guys

Been re-reading the original Bean thread here and I get the impression that the boxy fuselage was to match the supplied plastic cowl. One thing I really like is the slim rounded fuz, so if I had the kit the cowl would be the first thing to be ditched.

Also, the thread starter was not too enamoured with the kit quality all round.

This was the PB models kit, so whether the Cloud Models one would be any different, I couldn't say.

RedBaron

I notice the original RCMF plan for the Dwarf Bean is still available on e-bay. Might be worth considering kc's suggestion of getting the plan enlarged to the size of the original Bean (Skyliner)

Just thoughts at the moment

Jeff