Chilli Breeze & Chilli Wind plans (was RCME June 1994)

Just a comment on Nigel's comment on detesting planking.

I used to be a planking detester as well but when I purchased a Proxxon saw I grew to like planking

the blade of the Proxxon saw can be tilted. A small amount of geometry determines the angle of tilt for cutting and chamfering both sides of the planks this gives an extremely neat instant finish needing only a small amount of sanding and virtually no filling.

Edited by RedBaron
spelling
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have recently completed and covered the Junior Rival that I was building as a test bed for future electric projects. When I first started to read through this forum I was very surprised to read posts recommending weight saving tips regarding the Chilli Breeze airframe. By any standards a CB built as-per-plan with a built-up wing is a lightweight airframe. The Junior Rival airframe is a slightly larger than the CB but used a similar amount wood for the airframe and this weighed in at 602gm ready-to-cover. Medium grade balsa was used with a 36" x 4" X 1/16" sheet weighing 18-20gm and all other sizes multiples of this weight. 3mm light ply was used for doublers in place of .8mm ply. The finished model less battery came out 1246gm and the cg was achievable using as little as a 3s 2200 lipo. I found this very interesting as the original Chilli Breeze with a built-up wing weighed 1475gm -  this was the dry weight so the flying weight would have to include an average of half a tankful of fuel so the total weight of a CB at take off was in fact approx 1600gm (about 3lb 9oz). It flew very well at this weight - the foam wing version came in about 100g more and the added weight was a bonus for windier days. At no time did I ever feel the the model was too heavy or that a reduction in the flying weight would improve the performance. It was always intended as an introduction to F3a style flying - not 3D flying  From the above, bearing in mind that the Junior Rival is a little larger than the CB, we can safely assume that the take off weight for an electric CB using modern servos etc with a 4s lipo will be appreciably lighter than the original .36 ic powered version. In fact it is going to be at least 8oz lighter than the original design weight and this will not necessarily improve the flight performance - in fact quite the contrary. Fellow forum member KC alerted me to  several posts regarding tailplane flutter and one of the forum members who had experienced flutter said he thought his problem was caused because he had used too light a grade of balsa for the tailplane and he cured the problem by substituting it for a firmer grade of balsa - a medium grade sheet of 1/4" is going to weigh between 70-80gm.  If you want an ultra lightweight aerobat suitable for F3a style flying you are going to be limited to indoor flying or flat calm summer evenings but for average weather conditions in the UK (and a lot of other countries) I feel a Chilli Breeze needs to be somewhere near to its original design weight and it will be counter productive working out cunning ways to save weight.  

DSC_5455 lr.jpg

Edited by Delks
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

There have been several people asking about sets of wing ribs for the Chilli Breeze. Work on the electric version is now underway and this will feature the same wing as the ic version and, with the help of Dev Wing, I have managed to create a wing section that is pretty much identical to the one included on the original free plan so those looking for a set of rib patterns need look no further. The electric version will have a servo for each aileron and will not utilise torque rods and the u/c will be mounted on the fuz but the original details for wing mounting are there on the original plan for those who want to use that method.

Edited by Delks
  • Like 2

The Junior Rival is still on track to become an RCM&E plane but, for reasons that will become more apparent in forthcoming issues of the magazine, I have put the project on hold for a short while. I have also decided to simplify the wing construction a little in order to encourage less experienced builders to get involved. 

• 7 months later...
On 19/09/2022 at 07:05, Piers Bowlan said:

Looking forward to the Junior Rival RCM&E plan, in the fullness of time Delks.

The Junior Rival will appear eventually but the electric version of the Chilli Breeze has kept me busy. I have also revised the JR design and used a parallel chord wing with simplified construction - It will also be about 10% larger. i did post some update details for the Chilli Breeze but they have appeared elsewhere in the plans section so I shall repeat them here:

Work on the new ep Chilli Breeze has been progressing and the airframe is now finally ready to cover. I also aim to give details of an i.c. conversion on the plan. Construction follows the original design but the all sheet tail surfaces have been replaced with built up items and the u/c is now mounted on the fuselage. There are also a few other small changes but the good news is that laser cut ribs are now a possibility or, if you wish to cut your own a set of rib patterns will be on the plan. In the end I decided to opt for a bottom mounted battery hatch as this frees up space for battery and esc and avoids the the need to vandalise the fuselage top. The model was quickly assembled for the photos  to give an idea of the general layout. I used SLEC medium grade balsa throughout and made no particular attempts to save weight and the bare wooden airframe weighed in at 17.8oz/505g. This is about what I expected with a built up wing but a foam wing will only add add a few extra ounces and save a lot of work!. 

finished airframe 2.jpg

Battery Hatch 2.jpg

Edited by Delks
  • Like 3

Looking good Delks. Last year I built an electrified Rival and I would love to build your updated Chili Breeze. I've had the CB plan on my build pile for years but always put off either getting foam wings cut or trying to cut a sandwich of ribs. Will it be an RCM&E pull out plan?

• Like 2

On 08/05/2023 at 21:55, Outrunner said:

Looking good Delks. Last year I built an electrified Rival and I would love to build your updated Chili Breeze. I've had the CB plan on my build pile for years but always put off either getting foam wings cut or trying to cut a sandwich of ribs. Will it be an RCM&E pull out plan?

The answer to your question is yes - it will be a pull out plan.

• Like 1

It is my intention to also update the Chilli Wind for an electric/ic version. There were in fact two versions of the Chilli Wind. The original published version was followed by a "stretched" version (+3" on the tail and +1 1/2" on the nose) which was not published. and this is the one I would use for the ep/ic conversion. As can be seen in the photos this was powered by a YS 45 rear exhaust two stroke and this required inverting the model for starting etc which I did not find a problem. I mention this because I have chosen to place the battery access hatch on the underside of the fuz on the epic Breeze as this frees up more space for the battery/esc/wires etc, simplifies hatch arrangement and avoids vandalising the top of the fuz.

cw ys 4.jpg

CW S3.jpg

CW ys 2.jpg

• Like 1

Delks 

Thanks keep us informed, these 2 models were on my list years ago, but I never got round to building either. I am going to try an electric version and I really fancy the chilli wind as it looks a good candidate for an electric conversion. 

Fabulous pictures from yesteryears, it looks like you had a great time 

Steve

• 3 months later...

I am pleased to report that I finally got the Chilli Breeze EP project over the finish line and the results are very pleasing. The power train is: 4-Max 3541 kv1070 motor turning an 11"x5.5"APCe running on 3700 4s which gives 7minutes flying time comfortably. I visited the F3a Triple Crown event at the weekend and during a lull in the action Keith Jackson put the model through its paces and and it performed very well - as you would expect with Keith on the sticks! The 2m jobs are really something else  and the size of the manoeuvres flown was breath taking. Here are a few pics of the new model rubbing shoulders with the big boys............  

David and Goliath.jpg

Keith Jackson and Jim Fallowfield with his Epilogue.jpg

2CB 8.jpg

2CB13.jpg

2CB 7.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

In answer to the question re source of undercarriage: : I purchased the carbon fibre undercarriage from Hobby King. Unfortunately they have not had any in stock for a while which is a pity because it ideal for a small model like this and it was very good value.

For a winter project I am going to build the Chilli Breeze, I have already downloaded and printed off the Outerzone plan and I will be building it with  the built up wing 

and going down the IC route.

My Question is does any one have a list of the balsa sheet and strip wood I will require without having to go over the plan and list the sizes and quantities that I will require?

Regards

Malmaz

Malmaz,  can't help with the material list but I can tell you where to find the plotted wing ribs for the  Chilli Breeze ic design.    Ribs were done later by  by Harry In Edmonton Canada to suit Mike Delacole's (Delks) original ic plan from RCME.   Ribs are here - look for the final revised version and note that it approximates the original but not exactly the same.   A test print I printed looked exactly right.   I think that Delks mentioned somewhere that his latest electric version ( soon to be in RCME ) has a very slightly different wing profile to his original.

13 hours ago, kc said:

Malmaz,  can't help with the material list but I can tell you where to find the plotted wing ribs for the  Chilli Breeze ic design.    Ribs were done later by  by Harry In Edmonton Canada to suit Mike Delacole's (Delks) original ic plan from RCME.   Ribs are here - look for the final revised version and note that it approximates the original but not exactly the same.   A test print I printed looked exactly right.   I think that Delks mentioned somewhere that his latest electric version ( soon to be in RCME ) has a very slightly different wing profile to his original.

Thanks for that KC, I have downloaded the Ribs pattern.

There wasn't a set of ribs printed on the 1994 plan because, in those far off days, the sandwich method was commonly used. Things have moved forward since those days and programmes such as Dev Wing (highly recommended!!) are available. The new design features a slightly thinner wing section and a full set of ribs will be included on the plan. A full set of laser cut ribs should also be readily available from several sources but bear in mind that these ribs are designed to match the rib spacing shown on the new plan - an important consideration. The new version could be in the magazine as soon as the January issue. The new plan will feature a few added updates to the original so it might be worth waiting a couple of months. It will also be suitable for ic conversion just by changing the thickness of F1 and omitting the battery hatch. If you need a set of rib patterns + plus spacing details I could supply one. 

6.jpg

• Like 3