Chilli Breeze & Chilli Wind plans (was RCME June 1994)

Well Stuart I am sorry if my info on this seller caused you to buy a copy with missing plan and article. It certainly said ( and still does ) "Plan included" so you should be able to complain and get a refund. But of course you want the plan and article. I have the mag but I won't sell it as I keep a collection of many RCME& RM. But I would scan the article and let you have it by e-mail. If that helps end me a Private Message with your e-mail address.

But hopefully someone will have a copy of the mag they don't want..........

One thing that might help is the knowledge that the smaller ( Breeze) version does not have individual ribs shown just tip and root template. So you might just as well have the larger ( Wind ) version printed at a reduced size rather than buy a Breeze plan. Actually I did the reverse and prepared a larger plan by printing the Breeze main items at an increased size to make a Chilli Wind. There is a very slight difference I think but not much. Considering the advice about visibility of the small model this may influence your decision.

• Like 1

KC - no worries It did say that the plan was included - the reciept cunningly says that the missing material was noted on the advert - I beg to differ. Still it's not the end of the world.

I am going to order the plan now - and yes I was after the article - I would really appreciate a copy of it - I shall PM you

Thanks again

"There is a very slight difference I think but not much. "

The designer stretched the Chilli Wind tail by 1-1/2" - 2", after the design was published.

That extra length was already reflected in the Chilli Breeze.

Otherwise, they were of identical outline.

There was an item in RCME which said the Chilli Wind FUSELAGE ( not the tailplane) was stretched.   It was 3 inches in tail moment and 1.5 inches in the nose added by the designer Mike Delacole and anyone interested in a 60 size version could contact him.( RCME Aug 93 )   It was not clear whether this stretched fuselage was just the 60 size version.

Stuart I can confirm that the website said plan included & I didn't see anything which said the article was missing!

Edited By kc on 16/01/2019 10:34:35

Edited By kc on 16/01/2019 10:39:20

Of course Stuart wanted the Chilli Breeze article not the Chilli Wind! I have now scanned the Breeze article for him. Nigel mentioned the Wind becuse it was thought the Breeze was just a reduced version but it seems it's not quite - the Breeze was possibly stretched a bit.

Just dug out some measurements I did a while ago.

Chilli Breeze fuselage, nosering to rear of rudder, 44"; Chilli Wind fuselage, nosering to rear of rudder, 50-1/2"

If you directly scaled the Chilli Breeze wing up to the Chilli Wind size, a corresponding fuselage works out at 52".

I would surmise the 3" stretch was applied to the 60 size model. Either way, it will make little difference to us mere mortals! The 60 size model would probably have been matched against the typical sizes of a F3A model of the day.

David, where did the 60 size Chilli Wind plan come from? Was it a privately produced plan or published in some magazine? I am sure a build blog or just some photos and comments would be well received on the forum.

The Rival seems a forgotten gem A 55 inch span high wing sports model with 15 percent thick wing section for a 40 to 46 engine. Plan No RC 1721 from RCME August 1993. Also an ( unpublished?) version called Cyclone which used a Chilli Wind wing which of course is tapered rather than the simpler straight wing on the Rival.

Nice one, thanks David. That confirms - at least by my maths - that the 3" stretch was on the 60 size.

Another Mike Delacole design was Big Easy, a larger version of Rival:

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=10467

My dad flies a Rival, has done for a few years, really likes it. The problem the Rival had, was the Wot 4 being widely available in kit form and then later in ARTF of course.

His earlier Jetta was also a superb looking model. They're all in my bucket list of things to build.

Does anyone know of any other Delacole designs?

Edited By Nigel R on 17/01/2019 08:41:29

In the article about Rival the designer - Mike Delacole- mentioned his Quick Flash design for Irvine 25 which was kitted by Ben Buckle but it       "experienced copyright problems posed by a British kit manufacturer although I never quite understood what for "

Seems clever use of words to me!

Jetta was a .40 aerobatic plan for RCME plan no RC1412 and seemed to be kitted at one time ( Leicester Model Centre perhaps?)

Nigel - what about a separate thread on the Rival with a photo or two which might encourage others to build this worthwhile design? Always high on my to build list but never quite got around to it ...yet

Edited By kc on 17/01/2019 12:12:46

Plans for the "60" size were only available from the designer. I borrowed a set from a friend.

Will take a few photo's when I get back home and post. Model to far on for a build thread.

The date on the plan is 1993, about the time FG kits started to appear and were quite expensive as most

came from the USA. The idea behind the design was to have an easily build competitive model that anyone

could build. The model is about 10% bigger over all, its not just that the moments have been stretched.

• 5 months later...
Posted by kc on 15/01/2019 12:25:45:

I have the mag but I won't sell it as I keep a collection of many RCME& RM. But I would scan the article and let you have it by e-mail. If that helps end me a Private Message with your e-mail address.

Hi KC

I've just taken delivery of the Chilli Breeze plan from Sarik which I'm intending to build for IC later this year, and am after the original article from the June 1994 issue of RCM&E. If you still have the scan would you be able to send it to me? I tried sending you a PM but you don't have a public profile.

Thx, Jon