Catastrophe!

Jonathan M

"Is it just the case of finding out who supplies the components,and of what cost to spectrum,then comparing with other manufacturers the components they use,then it should be a case of bobs yer uncle,fannys yer aunt!!"

I'd say you've missed the point a tad.

"Id of thought reading the failure/faults in black and white shows evident enough"

No, it shows one person has reported one problem. And the reports are not always accurate, people will start a thread which implicitly blames one component (see thread "Spektrum AR620 receiver problem" on here for instance) when another (the user) is at fault (didn't read manual).

As stated, it tells very little if anything about the reliability of a product or brand, which is what ultimately counts.

mmm well,hows about seeing how many faulty txs Als hobbie receives a week.am i correct in saying they are the only repair centre for spectrum in the uk,or is it fake news im hearing again,in which the poor customer service provider spektrum is,and i will vouch for that,when my DX6 was sent to germany,then the US,because the germans could not repair it for some strange reason,then back to germany,then back to my local model shop in leeds,so what does that tell you gents,lol,rubbish customer service,and just remember,the customer is always right.have a nice day lol.

LogicRC are UK agents now.

You're on the right track. But by themselves, the stats for one brand don't tell us a lot of anything - unless you have the same numbers for every other radio manufacturer out there, along with knowing how many in service units are out there.

Failures per thousand hours use, is the thing of interest. But we will, realistically, never be told what that is.

Sonny, I've said it before, and say it again, and at the risk of joining you as twisted and boring, but your single problem with Horizons customer service from a year or so back, and the known only to God problem your transmitter may, or may not have had is of no interest to me.

May your propellors remain unbroken.

I second that Don.

In the meantime...

1. It transpires that the Acrowot's Spektrum AR610C receiver (the C stands for 'coated' for water-resistance) was a copy. If I recall correctly, this was bought from an established retailer in his shop along with the model itself and some other bits and bobs (he's retired now with shop permanently closed). Although a copy, this hadn't been a problem for the last two years.

2. I was about to order a 6.6v LiFe 1600mAh receiver battery for the new Wot4 - until I realised that the servos I'm due to fit in it - either the Futaba S3001 set of four new ones (to replace the New Power set I got a refund for) or the S3003 set out of the wrecked Acrowot - are only rated up to 6.0v! So back to Plan A, which is to carry on using NiMh packs, but consider going up to 6.0v.

3. I'm leaving the HD sliding switch in the Middle Phase, but will change to using toggle-switches in my power models, due mainly to their vibration. However its worth noting that I store all my models in a dry heated space, so they're not corrosively languishing in a cold damp shed at any time.

Posted by Jonathan M on 04/02/2019 18:35:56:

2. I was about to order a 6.6v LiFe 1600mAh receiver battery for the new Wot4 - until I realised that the servos I'm due to fit in it - either the Futaba S3001 set of four new ones (to replace the New Power set I got a refund for) or the S3003 set out of the wrecked Acrowot - are only rated up to 6.0v! So back to Plan A, which is to carry on using NiMh packs, but consider going up to 6.0v.

If you put a 5A or similar silicon diode (example) in series with the pack, it will drop the voltage between 0.6 to 0.7V giving you 6V or less. While nominally 6V, a 5 cell NiMH pack will put out over 7V straight off charge, by the way.

Edited By Martin Harris on 04/02/2019 18:56:35

Thanks for that guys. The trouble with this game, having already learnt the hard way, is that I now want to ensure that every new-to-me variable is properly understood before clicking the 'BUY NOW' button! LiFe 6.6v it is then.

Steve, maybe you're right, maybe it was to do with the counterfeit RX...? Sent the TX off today to be tested, so eagerly await the results of that.

Posted by SONNY MONKS on 04/02/2019 14:34:44:

mmm well,hows about seeing how many faulty txs Als hobbie receives a week.am i correct in saying they are the only repair centre for spectrum in the uk,or is it fake news im hearing again,in which the poor customer service provider spektrum is,and i will vouch for that,when my DX6 was sent to germany,then the US,because the germans could not repair it for some strange reason,then back to germany,then back to my local model shop in leeds,so what does that tell you gents,lol,rubbish customer service,and just remember,the customer is always right.have a nice day lol.

Sonny your wasting you time, this comes up time after time but still it doesn't sink in, maybe just maybe one day it will click in the mean time best I suppose we leave them to it and just have a little chuckle ever time it happens.

Posted by Steve J on 04/02/2019 18:57:41:
Posted by Nigel R on 04/02/2019 13:30:13:

And the reports are not always accurate, people will start a thread which implicitly blames one component (see thread "Spektrum AR620 receiver problem" on here for instance) when another (the user) is at fault (didn't read manual).

It's not so "didn't read the manual" as didn't stick the ESC in the slot labeled channel 1 on the receiver.

Steve

My mistake and apologies to the thread author.

Counterfeit could mean anything from an after hours production run for the factories private benefit to a low standard copy using an early or leaked version of any circuitry or software.

I have a counterfeit 6210. Looks identical to my genuine 6210. Never skipped a beat, but it will also never go in anything not made of foam or with any time or money in. 150 plus flights and no trouble but very much a roll of the dice. Given that orange will sell you a 6 channel rx with guarantee for a tenner the counterfeits are just not worth bothering with. If I'd known about the orange or lemon stuff at time if purchase I would have bought one of those.

Posted by Stephen Smith 14 on 04/02/2019 21:06:00:
Posted by SONNY MONKS on 04/02/2019 14:34:44:

Sonny your wasting you time, this comes up time after time but still it doesn't sink in, maybe just maybe one day it will click in the mean time best I suppose we leave them to it and just have a little chuckle ever time it happens.

That's great news guys yes have a nice day wink

Yep Futaba 3001/3004 /3003 servos fine with NIMH 2 cell I have used for years . A 5 cell NIMH reaches a higher voltage when fully charged anyway. By the way one Futaba servo I don’t like is their 3010. The casing says “not rated for dry batteries” and the circuit board has no stall protection and burns on a servo stall . I think the basic s3001,s3003, s3004 , s148 budget Futaba servos are way better and very reliable and good value ( I use them on many planes with 2 cell Life) . On my Wots Wot XL a bit of stiction on the combined double ailerons fried the 3010 in minutes. Luckily it was on pre flight ground testing, so I switched to decent HI Tech servos which have been perfect on the same frequently used plane for the past 3 years!

Edited By Tim Flyer on 05/02/2019 08:52:12

Edited By Tim Flyer on 05/02/2019 08:52:52