Early flying model aircraft design books (+/- 1950's)

johan barnard

Dear modelers,

I grew up in a small town, Upington, in South Africa in the 1960s. In the library there were two books that helped me immensely with aeromodeling. I would like to describe the books in the hope that you can help me with the titles or authors. I then want to search the net and try to acquire them. I hope to recognize the books from cover pictures.

The one book cover is whitish and the other blueish. One has, amongst other, a Handley Page HP 42 model on the front or rear cover. They are about an inch and a quarter thick. They are most probably English because they include Diesel engines also.

The books cover all control line and free flight categories comprehensively. There are tables and tables of data giving spar, motor sizes and weights etc.etc. Dimensions/proportions are given for stability as well as wing setting angles, thrust lines, dihedral etc. etc.

I'll appreciate any help. I presume that not that many design books were written in the 1950/60s.

Thanks in advance,

Johan

Maybe the book is one of the many written by Ron Warring such as Design for Aeromodellers which is one of those on RCLibrary. Or possibly one by Ron Moulton, Vic Smeed, D.A. Russell etc.

Whilst mentioning Ron Warring surely he must be one of the most accomplished of technical & hobby writers- books on a host of varied subjects Bond Minicar, fish pond, glassfibre, NSU Quickly, boats, Lambretta, model boats,model planes, electronics, hydraulics etc etc and I seem to remember his name on articles about photography too. Putting his name into Amazon shows many titles on many subjects