Mini/micro lathe

I'm toying with the idea of 'investing' in a small lathe. I'm very much a beginner and just want to be able to make small parts as well as learn a bit. I don't have much space and one of these small lathes might just fit on one of my benches.

There's the Axminster series C1 Micro lathe. The main drawback is that it doesn't have a compound slide so machining tapers would be very difficult if not impossible. However I'm not sure if it's a necessary feature but suspect it might be useful.

Another possibility is the Amadeal CJ18A Mini Lathe which is a bit bigger but still doable. This does have a compound slide and other accessories are available.

For both lathes I'd need tools and a tailstock chuck, at least.

Has anyone any experience of either? Am I wasting my money (apart from the fact I can't actually justify buying either if I were being coldly practical.)

Geoff

If you are buying new, with basic tooling and bits, £700, £800?

I have a machine which is functionally identical to the C1. It's a good little lathe. Once in a while, you get a job, and you are pleased you have a lathe. But for our uses, count up its uses. £800 is a lot of time purchased off the likes of Ken King.

Hello Geoff

You should look on the sister site modelengineer where this question gets asked lots of times with some very helpful replies. The link should take you directly to the mini-lathe threads You will also find it is possible to turn tapers without a compound slide by offsetting the tailstock.

There are lots of considerations and for some the hole through the headstock spindle might be too small, what diameter do you want to swing? and the list goes on.

You can easily spend as much on tooling as you do on the machine and remember you can do small parts on a big lathe but not the other way around.

I was very lucky. I picked up a Proxxon 400 being sold on behalf of a customer of Lancaster Model and Hobby World about 4 years ago. It came with a whole load of tools and the milling attachment. All for the price of the basic lathe.

About the best advice I can give is if you but new, go to a reputable dealer. If you buy secondhand, get someone who knows about lathe to have a gander.

Finally, don't be coldly practical. Once you have one you won't look back as it opens a whole new world and is immensely satisfying.

I know you have Thames Barge on the go which will need some fittings.

Levanter.

Which lathe to buy question is a minefield a bit like the which transmitter is the best one to buy. Sorry I can't answer your question directly as I don't own a mini lathe, but I can recommend a good place to buy one from **LINK**

I have purchased tooling from Arc Euro and they are an excellent company to deal with. Have a search on the Model Engineer forum for Mini lathes, they have been discussed many times before. **LINK**

Phil.

Hi Geoff,

Once you have one it opens up a whole new world, once you have a lathe you will realize you need milling of flat surfaces, so a top side is the way to go, i,'ve had 2 Myford ML7's as the classic model engineering machine and although initially expensive second hand, they hold their price and sell easily and accessories are available, you will need a 3 jaw & 4 jaw chucks if buying second hand the machine may have all the bits with it.

Good luck

Regards Ray

Thanks everyone. I'm still thinking but I have signed onto the Model Engineer forum (same log in as here).

I'm sure an ML7 would suit me perfectly but I simply don't have the space for one. My father had a Harrison lathe which I tried to use occasionally but for some reason he never would show me how to use it properly. He'd help me out by doing it.

Geoff

...talking of which, there's a useful facility on their (almost identical) website to this one and presumably run by the same techies that allows you to do a much better search of the site - which includes the forum. I appreciate that you can point Google in the right direction with a manual search but this seems much easier.

There's a discussion here if the powers that be might like to consider getting a similar bit of code added?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-12-Mini-Metal-Turning-Lathe-machine-Automatic-Metal-Wood-Drilling-600W/253521972470?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D90be325eacb44059b276c201dac1b873%26bu%3D43052585276%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F253521972470%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3De486521c1680ac750a440cc2ffeffcff&ul_noapp=true&pageci=2502735c-cba7-403c-aaae-48d3da4c528f

This is what I'm looking at getting. The supplier is getting restocked in March. The spec looks good I've been watching Steve Jordan on YT he was in the aerospace industry for around 15 years from memory and he has modded his Chinese mini lathe for more accuracy and also shows how to do milling with it with an L bracket.

Posted by TartanMac on 13/02/2019 02:02:23:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-12-Mini-Metal-Turning-Lathe-machine-Automatic-Metal-Wood-Drilling-600W/253521972470?_mwBanner=1&ul_ref=https%3A%2F%2Frover.ebay.com%2Frover%2F0%2Fe11051.m43.l1123%2F7%3Feuid%3D90be325eacb44059b276c201dac1b873%26bu%3D43052585276%26loc%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.ebay.co.uk%252Fulk%252Fitm%252F253521972470%26sojTags%3Dbu%3Dbu%26srcrot%3De11051.m43.l1123%26rvr_id%3D0%26rvr_ts%3De486521c1680ac750a440cc2ffeffcff&ul_noapp=true&pageci=2502735c-cba7-403c-aaae-48d3da4c528f

This is what I'm looking at getting. The supplier is getting restocked in March. The spec looks good I've been watching Steve Jordan on YT he was in the aerospace industry for around 15 years from memory and he has modded his Chinese mini lathe for more accuracy and also shows how to do milling with it with an L bracket.

Link **LINK**

Hi Percy

That's a sad story but thank you for recounting it. I was very lucky to get it as I know there was considerable interest at the time. As soon as I saw the Ad I called Lancaster and paid a deposit for the asking price to hold it while organising full payment and shipping. They made a great job of crating it and it arrived in Mallorca without a scratch. I bribed two young lads from the ferreteria opposite to get it into my flat and onto a cabinet bench I bough from a local tool merchant. One of my better purchases and though I say so myself, has gone to a good home.

Using it for some model boat fittings right now.

Levanter

Geoff,

Arceurotrade sell the Sieg SC3 mini lathe, I think they may have on offer atm....They advertise over on the model engineer forum. I have one, lots of tooling and extras, great little machine and has a brushless motor too. Be careful, some of the other minilathes have dc brushed motors and are prone to failing motors/speed controllers....

I cannot really advise what modern lathe to buy but I will say a Unimat ( original type) was too small to be of much use for moderate size items while a Myford ML7 is so much more useful.

Whatever you choose make sure you get all the item with special fitings or special threads - at the initial stage because these foreign lathes come and go from the market quickly. Anything for a Myford is always available, but not so for many other lathes.

If the tailstock has a Morse taper then tailstock drill chucks etc are easily available, but for those lathes without standard tapers it could be very difficult to buy later. You might be able to get a chuck threaded for most lathes, but things like steadies and vertical slides etc may never be available in a years time. Therefore the initial outlay for a s/h Myford could be less than for a cheaper lathe because the myford accessories are easily available so you don't need to buy all at once.

I have decided I want a small lathe and have been doing my homework. I will be buying what is the base model Chinese mini lathe at 7 x 12 with the dc brushed motor. There is a huge installed user base and many sources of info. start with **LINK** and then read up on Varmint Al

The early base models at speed control issues but that is mostly fixed now. If you manage to stall it and the magic smoke escapes the controller can be fixed fairly easily and there are people around who will fix it for you.

There is one oddity though, they are likely to be supplied in the UK with a imperial leadscrew at 20 TPI but metric lead screws on the cross slide and compound. Not a problem is seems but odd. Imperial mods are available.

They come in a bewildering variety of colors lengths and accessories but the base lathe is made by Sieg.

It is clear that they are thrown together at the factory by workers on piecework they do work 'out of the box' as they are no longer thickly smeared with heavy grease but just a light coating of an anti rust agency. However accuracy and finish quality can be improved by careful adjustements. Well documented on many sites as well as Youtube.

Posted by John Duncker on 14/02/2019 15:23:17:

the base lathe is made by Sieg.

It is clear that they are thrown together at the factory by workers on piecework they do work 'out of the box' as they are no longer thickly smeared with heavy grease but just a light coating of an anti rust agency. However accuracy and finish quality can be improved by careful adjustements. Well documented on many sites as well as Youtube.

On what evidence do you base that statement, that they are thrown together?

As a Sieg minilathe owner I feel I must defend this particular product of theirs....I've had no issues at all with mine, nor with the minimill that I subsequently bought...As a time served engineering apprentice, I have the experience and lnowledge on how to use these machines, not someone who has bought on a whim to make a few bits for model aircraft.....

If you buy a mini lathe from one of the reputable suppliers (Arceurotrade...no affiliation, just a satisfied customer....) their minilathe does not require any setup at all or any careful adjustments....Ketan the owner of Arc has a very close relationship with Sieg, so a purchase from him is likely to be of the highest quality...

Posted by kc on 14/02/2019 17:04:41:

The Peatol lathe has been around for decades ( remember them at the Model Engineer Ex and being advertised in RCME ? ) and is much cheaper than others especially if you use your own motor ( ex washing m/c etc ) and might be the cheapest satisfactory lathe.

I have a Peatol lathe with compound slide and milling attachment, normal chucks and a collet set. I have found it very useful for a lot of small items, spinner nuts, scale details, pulleys etc. I have cut aluminium, brass, carbon steel and stainless steel using a small set of replaceable tip carbide tools. It really came in really useful when completing the scale detail on my quarter scale Tiger Moth.

Posted by John Rudd on 14/02/2019 17:17:24:
Posted by John Duncker on 14/02/2019 15:23:17:

the base lathe is made by Sieg.

On what evidence do you base that statement, that they are thrown together?

As a Sieg minilathe owner I feel I must defend this particular product of theirs....I've had no issues at all with mine, nor with the minimill that I subsequently bought...As a time served engineering apprentice, I have the experience and lnowledge on how to use these machines, not someone who has bought on a whim to make a few bits for model aircraft.....

If you buy a mini lathe from one of the reputable suppliers (Arceurotrade...no affiliation, just a satisfied customer....) their minilathe does not require any setup at all or any careful adjustments....Ketan the owner of Arc has a very close relationship with Sieg, so a purchase from him is likely to be of the highest quality...

This guy is the US guru and he describes here **LINK** the steps that can be taken to improve the performance of the mini lathe.

"There are several adjustments you can make to significantly improve the accuracy of your minilathe. These adjustments, properly done, can improve the quality of work you can produce. To get accurate, nicely finished work and minimum chatter, it is important to remove as much play as possible in the saddle, cross-slide and compound. Try grasping the compound and twisting it from side to side. If your lathe is properly adjusted you should be able to move it very little."

I have spoken to a couple of recent purchasers of the precise model and supplier that I am interested in and they confirmed that accuracy can be improved and chatter reduced with the above points taken care of.

The tailstock alignment is usually in need of adjustment. There are numerous videos on youtube covering these adjustments.