Digital incidence meter

cymaz

I got a friend with a 3D printer to print me a set of parts to make myself an incidence meter - details HERE.

The Android app I use is called "Clinometer + Bubble Level", which I think is one of the better spirit level type apps. I've even invested a couple of quid to add "relative" angle measurement and measurements of angles using the built in camera. The App should suit your needs perfectly.

I've tried using an app but I don't think it's as accurate or repeatable (same thing really) as the Robart incidence meter. I think the other problem is that the phone edge can be difficult to align properly with the inevitable buttons sticking out of either side. Robart do a digital version as well but I have to say that I prefer the analogue version myself.

Having said all that, unless you are going for great accuracy then using a less than perfect tool may be OK but don't expect too much.

Gary , great idea. And I know someone with  a 3D printer 

Thanks for the input. As I say, I’ve already got the Robart analogue meter. So I’ve got all the brackets and two different bar lengths. I’ve seen THIS on eBay , I just wonder if I could sit it on top? How good are these things?

Edited By cymaz on 14/02/2019 05:53:40

cymaz,

I have bought one of the ebay inclinometers, slightly different to the one you linked to, see here.

This has a magnetic base as do many of them, so I fastened a small steel sheet (galvanised) onto the top of the measurement rail with epoxy. It works a treat. Set up all the flying wires on my Tiger Moth with this.

I did initially set my Tiger Moth rigging up with my android tablet using the "Clinometer + bubble level" app, but found that the weight of the tablet was significant. I also found that over a long period of use as the tablet warmed up, the zero drifted and it was not repeatable.

dsc07380 (custom).jpeg

dsc07379 (custom).jpeg

Cymaz Sticking needle may be down to dirt. To clean it put some Lighter petrol ( a few spoonsful) in a straight sided container. A jug would be ideal or a mug. Suspend the meter works Tril over the fuel just inside the rim. On a string etc will do. cover it loosely and leave alone few days. Then remove it and look in the container. You'd be surprised how dirty it will be. Then using clock/watch oil and a darning needle lubricate the jewels and other pivot points. Use same method to clean clocks and watches.. Not digitals though. Trike would be even better but try and get some. Ether meths or Methanol would also work.. The fluid evaporates then condenses on the parts and drips off again taking dirt/dust and old oils with it. Dad did a lot of old clocks with that method.. You can't polish the plates though That's the only drawback but if you just want it clean without dismantling this is the way to go. DO NOT be tempted to use WD 40 It dries up quite quickly . Not sure if it leaves a deposit but is only useful for penetrant and water dispersant. Not a lubricant be warned. Good luck John / onetenor

Posted by Gary Manuel on 13/02/2019 22:11:56:

I got a friend with a 3D printer to print me a set of parts to make myself an incidence meter - details HERE.

The Android app I use is called "Clinometer + Bubble Level", which I think is one of the better spirit level type apps. I've even invested a couple of quid to add "relative" angle measurement and measurements of angles using the built in camera. The App should suit your needs perfectly.

The problem with 3D printers and making things with holes is that the printer will tend to make the holes too small due in part to over-extrusion. Compounding the problem you had with your particular stl files is the hole in the incidencemeter_pince.stl is set to be only 7.9mm wide x 8.5mm tall. All the other parts with square holes were set to be 8.0mm x 8.0mm. In order to build a bit of clearance into all these stl's I have edited them to all have 8.5mm x 8.5mm square holes - that should make them a better fit on 8mm square ali tube.

Modified STL's available here **LINK** for 30 days......get them while they are still there

Posted by MaL on 14/02/2019 13:05:00:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 13/02/2019 22:11:56:

The problem with 3D printers and making things with holes is that the printer will tend to make the holes too small due in part to over-extrusion. Compounding the problem you had with your particular stl files is the hole in the incidencemeter_pince.stl is set to be only 7.9mm wide x 8.5mm tall. All the other parts with square holes were set to be 8.0mm x 8.0mm. In order to build a bit of clearance into all these stl's I have edited them to all have 8.5mm x 8.5mm square holes - that should make them a better fit on 8mm square ali tube.

Modified STL's available here **LINK** for 30 days......get them while they are still there

I did need to use a needle file to reduce the square hole size a bit. It wasn't much of a job, which just took a couple of minutes. Better too tight than too slack!

Peter, I know what you mean about the phone edges making the seating and measurements difficult to repeat, but it really hasn't been a problem. The phone tends to sit nice and solid and the measurements can easily be to tenths of a degree.

I removing the case to clean it , one of the jewels has popped out to goodness knows where...]<$€}¥<~]angry.

I’ve found ....THESE.... on eBay so there’s a good chance of a match. It’s worth a shot.

If I find a pair that fit , would anyone like to have a couple? There could be several in the bag. I can post in on 

Edited By cymaz on 14/02/2019 17:38:11