First Person View (FPV) flying

Hi Erfolg,

Conspiracy theory or not here might be a simple answer, or more likely a way of putting those who decide these things in the picture.

The BMFA have i think put together a reasonable set of guidelines. They as a body can represent their members to the powers that be, but individual clubs (and their voting power) could and perhaps should lobby their own member of parliament. With the state of play in the commons at the moment all MPs fear for their jobs, so what better time to give yours some ear ache!

John

Hi Frederick,

I taught myself to fly model aeroplanes using a flight simulator. This was after a very expensive and quick learning curve .. I followed the the usual route of allowing an experienced pilot to test fly my first model. This was reduced to 3 tesco bags full of wreckage within seconds!

Since then i have spent many hours on simulators and do you know what? I have never wrecked a model yet! The moral of the story here is this i guess ... Simulators are a very good learning tool, in my opinion they should be compulsory training. They cant ever replace "real" flying time, but give the novice pilot experience which would have been impossible only 15 years ago.

To compare FPV with "flying on a computer sim" as you put it is not only wrong, but insulting to people like me who "cut their teeth" on flight simulators.

Regards,

John.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

TrackR2 head tracker pictured above and many other FPV items are available for next day delivery from www.firstpersonview.co.uk in the UK  without having to add VAT (prices on the website already include VAT), import duty and the usual Parcel Force £10 admin fee for imports.

Get your stuff delivered the following day instead of weeks later with a hefty Parcel Force/ Customs bill to pay!

Merry Christmas

Simon

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/05/2013 16:22:36

Let me make a correction here as I speak from experience,  I will not criticise a product that I have not used so I can not comment on Simon's range of Good's.
I made my purchase on the basis that I am flying 2.4Ghz so needed something other than 2.4 which I could only find at a few other FPV sites that was the major reason. The Dollar was also strong at the time almost 2-1 so the products where cheaper and more importantly what I wanted.
The customs side of things well if your unlucky you may get stung for import duty but the suppliers are aware of this and ship it as a gift and under  the threshold via UPS so the price you see is the price you pay.
You may have to wait but  you have to wait for Christmas etc no big deal there.
The other thing to do is to read the blogs, Reviews etc on the web from people that have used the stuff and then make you own informed choice as to what to buy.  "It's your cash it's your choice"

Having your customers rave about your products is the the best advertisement you can have, get it wrong and you have a chance to correct it if you don't you will be slaughtered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi David,

I totally agree, thanks for making the change.

Hi Ralph,

The 2.4GHz issue is a bit of a pain for us in the UK/EU and Australia.  2.4Ghz is the only frequency allowed for airborne transmission of video here and 10mW is the maximum radiated power allowed (please see page 36 in this document: **Link**

We could sell 900Mhz, 1.3 or 5.8Ghz units and also units with higher power outputs but anyone using it would be breaking the law.  For this reason we only sell legal 2.4GHz 10mW equipment - probably to the detriment of our sales unfortunately.

We do have a great deal of very positive feedback about our products and I think one of our customers who bought a full range, who is a regular contributor to RCM+E, may also write an article/ review for the magazine before long. 

RC Extreme magazine recently awarded our Advanced Flight Kit 5 out of 5 stars also.

I will also endeavour to put up a testimonials page on our website ASAP to copy and paste some of the emails that I have received from customers.  In the meantime there is one "review" on our website from Gordon Walker, whom some of you may know: **link**

I totally agree about a company's reputation being its most important asset and that is why our's is furiously protected by me.  As a little example of the way we operate: if a client calls in with a problem I'll often ship out a replacement item by next day special delivery the same day, before I have even received the possibly faulty unit back.

All the best

Simon Dale

FirstPersonView.co.uk

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/05/2013 16:28:55

It is a bit of an aside but regarding importing goods marked as gifts that is also a thorny issue!  Without wishing to be inflamatory but merely state the facts, it is technically illegal to do this and the person responsible for the offence is always the recipient in the eyes of the law. Here is a relevant part from the HM Revenue and Customs web page:

Other websites may advertise that they will misrepresent or undervalue your goods so you avoid paying any extra Customs charges. However, by law you are the importer of the goods and are legally responsible for the information on the Customs declaration made by the sender and for any charges due. If you buy goods and the declaration is found to be incorrect, you may be liable to financial penalties or prosecution. In addition, the goods may be seized. It is in your interest to ensure the sender completes the Customs declaration accurately.

Full document here: **LINK**

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 24/05/2013 16:30:05

Hi all.   I Have only just come in, and all I can say is .................... 

Wow !!!    Why try to make problems, this world is already full of them.  We don't need more.   All this argument really comes down to one unmistakable point.

The law as it stands is quite sufficiant, to make sure that law abiding users of FPV are not really able to go wondering off into controlled air space or tickling the bottom of the space station.  Of course the reason for this, is, that the output power of the on board tx is restricted to 10 mw.

So I think we can rest assured that the police, armed services, parking attendants, and terrorists will not even take a second glance at the kit available to Rc,er's.  If they want it, then they will have it, but it will be putting out a good deal more power (or of course be satellite linked)   I am also very sure that the law surrounding the use of this type of equiptment will not be of interest to terrorists etc.        After all does the person who steals a car for "getaway"  think  "OOps I don't have insurance to drive this car, and thats against the law"  

Don't worry, sleep well, and fly better

Bob  (G0PMI)  (Radio Ham)

• 2 weeks later...